GAVIN HARRISON - The topic about The Creative Man

Josiah

Re: GAVIN HARRISON - VF signature sticks video

Postby Josiah » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:32 pm

The regular "Vic Grip" American Classic sticks are $10.49 on MusiciansFriend (who is usually the cheapest). The Weckl sticks are $8.49. The basic regular American Classics are $7.99. The cheapest I've been able to find a Brick of regular VicFirth American Classics 2B is $90, still $7.50/pair.

I did extrapolate that being a "dip" AND "Signature" that Gavin's sticks would be more then the basic "Dip" price. Throw in tax, etc.

However in comparison, my sticks are custom made for me at $3.35/pair.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:39 pm

However in comparison, my sticks are custom made for me at $3.35/pair.

Do they do Dips? What company?

I picked up 2 pairs of VF Rock Dips (Sam Ash Hollywood/GC doesn't have the GH sigs yet) and I paid 9.18per for 19.97 out the door for 2 pair. That hurts man.
Last edited by Isaac Lee on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:39 pm

I use 5B's but for some reason the vic grip version just started unseating itself on certain sticks and sometimes shredding off. once i get oil on my hands from accidentally rubbing sweat off my forehead and what not, the vic grips were fairly slippery. but then again, that could just be my bad habit of wiping my forehead in between sets. i've since utilized a wristband. :)

what i use now is what patdrums recommended a while ago. i use the bowstring wax and the results are phenomenal. i carry one in my backpack as well as stick back. i just put 'em on before a show and voila. no smell, no fuss and it dries off and are virtually un-noticable on my stick or hands after a gig.
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Shit...if you think those prices are expensive then don't move to Australia any time soon. Stores on average sell sticks for around $20. And that's pretty standard nationwide.
Back to the topic at hand, definitely keen to check these sticks out when they are available. Haven't tries the VicGrip yet, so it would be a good opportunity to check that out too.
Awesome playing in the video too Gavin. And as always, drums sound incredible!
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Cheggs wrote:Awesome playing in the video too Gavin. And as always, drums sound incredible!

AGREED.. wonderful drumming as always.. thanks for the inspiration :)
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Cheggs wrote:Shit...if you think those prices are expensive then don't move to Australia any time soon. Stores on average sell sticks for around $20. And that's pretty standard nationwide.

Awesome playing in the video too Gavin. And as always, drums sound incredible!

and don't move to the UK...average price for Vic Firth 5As is between 9 - 12.99 GBP (sorry - keyboard's all to wack!!!) -even Zildjian signature models are on average, 11.99 sterling pounds. :shock:

agree with everyone else...great playing and stunning sounding drums!!! :D
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Da Chooch wrote:
Cheggs wrote:Awesome playing in the video too Gavin. And as always, drums sound incredible!

AGREED.. wonderful drumming as always.. thanks for the inspiration :)

I concur. Looking forward to checking the sticks out.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Nice playing in the clip. Gavin always sounds great. Don 't think there are any clips on the internet of him with just a room mic. He's always mic'd up and has his sound.

Kind of curious about the grip stuff on the stick. Never had a problem with the stick slipping out of the hand. In the past have experimented with chalk. The stuff that bodybuilders use to get a dry sturdy grip. Before a gig i wash my hands in warm water and get them very dry and that does the trick.

Hope PT is going to put some new stuff out next year and tour. Saw Steven Wilson on the Grace For Drowning tour and wow! Surround sound! Visuals with the music. What a show. I like Insurgents much better. Maybe cause i like the drumming on that album.
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:14 am

Gavin, your playing always absolutely astounds me. Between you and Todd Sucherman, I turn so many folks onto your playing. Tremendous stuff. I'll have to check out the sig stick, as I do use a bigger drumstick these days. VERY cool stuff.
Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:28 am

Thanks for the kind words about the playing and the sound. There are videos on YouTube where you hear the drums just off the camera mic (the stuff from PASIC 2008 for instance) - but I don't think that's really a good sound as it's extremely coloured and compressed by the sound of that mic. You'd only really hear what my drums sounded like if you were in the room with them. I do tune my sound for the mics - as that's the way most people are going to hear them. On record or at a gig through a PA. My bass drum sound is pretty disappointing in real life - it only really works with a mic - but I'm almost never in an situation where there aren't mics these days.

Rodge - I'm feeling much better now. Gallbladder was removed about a month ago!!!

Regarding the price of sticks - it's completely out of my hands of course - but I know from experience that American made sticks in the UK were always very expensive. About a 1/3 more than in the States.

cheers
Gavin

Return to “Drumming Chat”