PolyNome: drummer's metronome app -- NOW AVAILABLE

Lucas Ives

PolyNome: drummer's metronome app -- NOW AVAILABLE

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:45 am

I've been collaborating with Joe Crabtree on a project that's just about ready for release, so I wanted to make a pre-announcement here as I think there are a lot of folks that might be interested.

Joe and I had exchanged some emails about our playing, and met up in NYC a couple of months back. Long story short, he pitched the idea of doing an iOS version of his Pyramid software.

PolyNome is a metronome with features useful to any serious musician, but has some specifics that make it especially appealing to drummers. Features include:

- improve your inner clock by adding bars of rest to the click
- play any polyrhythmic combination of rates 1-32
- play cycles of rates
- build a "rhythmic scale" over any click rate
- play common stickings at any rate, over any rate (eg.
paradiddles at a quintuplet rate over a click in 7)
- accent notes and note groupings (eg. play as paradiddles and accent
every 3rd note)
- timing accurate to 44.1kHz
- tap tempo input
- high quality sounds tailored to the iPhone/iPod
- supports iOS v4.3 and above

How you combine these components is up to you -- the possibilities are almost endless.

We're going to be running a promotion when the app first releases at a discount. Get all the details at polynome.net,Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter @PolyNomeApp, and I'll be sure to keep HoD in the loop, too.

Stay tuned!
Last edited by Lucas Ives on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: PolyNome: drummer's metronome app

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Cool, good luck with it guys!
fun-k

Postby fun-k » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:48 pm

cant wait !!1 good luck guys ...
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Will it be able to do polyrhythms with 4 different sound sources, e.g., 17/3/19/29? I've got a Greek wedding coming up....
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Nice! Can you make it possible to use wave files from the device for custom click sounds?
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:35 am

Riddim wrote:Will it be able to do polyrhythms with 4 different sound sources, e.g., 17/3/19/29? I've got a Greek wedding coming up....

You can easily set up that cycle. The rhythms over it are built from 2 sound sources (one for each hand), plus a 3rd for the click. Add various stickings and accent patterns and you should be able to get anything you need.

Isaac Lee wrote:Nice! Can you make it possible to use wave files from the device for custom click sounds?

Because of the way Apple sandboxes apps and the media library, I can't get the low-level sample access to the iPod library I'd need (which is what I think you mean?). It's possible we may add something down the road that allows you to download audio files from the web and add them to the app.
joecrabtree

Postby joecrabtree » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:28 am

Riddim wrote:Will it be able to do polyrhythms with 4 different sound sources, e.g., 17/3/19/29? I've got a Greek wedding coming up....

You can do exactly that with OctopuSequencer :)
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Here's the app in action, Joe demoing variations on the rhythmic pyramid (think Stone Killer) -- as well as some other features:

Really can't wait to get this thing out the door and for you guys to play with it.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:27 pm

Here's another example, this time using the rest feature to setup time check -style patterns. We'll even provide some presets to get you going.

Coming real soon.
Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:49 pm

This looks awesome guys. Congrats.
Any plans on releasing it for Android phones at all? I'm rocking a Samsung Galaxy S2, but would love to get this app.
Cheers.

Return to “Drumming Chat”