balance and double bass

drum6282

balance and double bass

Postby drum6282 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:47 pm

I just recently started incorporating double bass into my playing. I've had the pedals for a while, but didn't really use them on gigs as I haven't really developed it into my playing yet. I come from the Colin Bailey bass drum technique book where I sit on the edge of the throne and allow my whole back part of upper leg muscle to be free of contact with the throne. For me, this sitting position doesn't feel right when playing double bass - I feel very off balance and can't seem to figure out a good sitting position to feel balanced. I sit where my knee makes a right angle - I've tried higher, but I actually like lower, but that suits heel down the best - and you can only get so fast heel down. If I sit back on the throne, I'm much more comfortable playing double bass, but more of my leg is in more contact with the throne...will this eventually inhibit my ability to get faster?

How do you guys sit on the throne? how high? Any suggestions would be great...thanks.
Manu

Re: balance and double bass

Postby Manu » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I sit with knees forming 90 degree angle and at the edge of the throne. I am able to reach fast 16th note triplets but not the desired 32nd note stuff yet.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:25 pm

I sit so that the angle of my upper leg is parallel with ground when I raise my heels up as far as I can.

I don't know much about Colin's technique but I must admit that I don't personally think that having too much "leg" on my throne will prevent me from reaching any particular speed.

Good luck with the double bass development. I'm (still) working hard on it myself.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:37 am

Thanks guys - it's definitely something I need to work on - it's one of those things that you don't have to have in order to play a song and it was always neglected vs developing hands, independence, etc...but, it's something I want to incorporate into my playing so I can play it when it's appropriate.

16th note triplets at a real world tempo is tough! Do you play full leg? or play heel up ankle only when turning the speed on?
Matus

Postby Matus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 am

Find your own seating point. I do seat way back on a regular Yamaha throne and I have no speed problems. 16th notes at 200 bpm aren't that difficult.
Have in mind all your high speed bass drumming should be generated on your ankles, not your whole leg, so the throne won't be an obstacle.
Isaac's height rule is correct. The idea is being close to 90º but having some "extra" so you don't go any further than 90º when you're moving your legs up and down.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:42 am

This is not just an attempt to mention Virgil - but he is quite the authority on the subject.
He'd tell you to study the Colin Bailey book with your left foot. And Virgil's book on the matter
is really quite a volume as well. (You'll find my name in it ;) )

Virgil is sitting quite far out on the edge of the seat on his chair compared to some drummers.
You'll get a small indication of how he sits in this clip:

Be sure to practice ostinatos that automatically will have you shift your lead foot
on the repeat (e.g. paradiddles)
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:48 am

All good things, like Matus said, you have to find what works for you. Everyone has a different body. Different thrones will make a difference as well. Additionally what technique you prefer to use with your feet. How heavy you play, etc... Experiment with throne height, position, etc and have a full length mirror in a position so you can observe your back while playing. Great posture is everything with drums.

I sit so that my thigh is prob 10 degree's less then 90 with my feet resting on the pedals. And my knee is behind my ankle if you were to draw a vertical line down. I use the 'motorcycle' style throne and like them better then the traditional round.

Speaking on Balance in general though it's the same for ALL playing. Be it your left foot is using the hats, a double kick pedal, or something else.

Virg's book is awesome. I'd also recommend Jeff Bowder's 'Mirrored' double bass drum books, as everything in them mirrors across the feet. Also the 'Encyclopedia of DoubleBass' is an excellent book with tons of real world application, grooves, fills, etc
You can also grab 'Symmetrical Stickings' off Pete Lockett's site for FREE and just play them down on your feet. http://www.petelockett.com/2006/pages/s ... stick.html

Some classic nasty
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:32 am

I've been working out of Virgil's book and also highly recommend it.

Return to “Drumming Chat”