New never-before seen Vinnie footage

amoergosum

Re: New never-before seen Vinnie footage

Postby amoergosum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:15 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:^^ I don't get this. A lot of us are drum nerds here.

I was just kidding. I'm as much of a drum nerd as everyone else here.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:28 pm

I like all kinds of dinosaurs, but Vinnie is my favorite and the most ferocious of them all! :D
D.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:49 pm

So the next time some goof asks "why all the Vin worship in this forum?" just point him to this...Holy Crime in Italy!
Flamaque

Postby Flamaque » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks a ton for sharing this wonderful video Steve.
It sounded like the old Vinnie to me. Like Dog Cheese days.
Those were some of my favorite Vinnie musical moments.
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:51 pm

This Vinnie is just pure inspiration on the spot, going for all or nothing, fearless art. Right there watching that video you can be witness to the real magic of human nature when exploited in the right manner and channeled towards a specific purpose, in this case, drumming.

The floor tom thing is just bananas, that ain't some lick he learned somewhere, that's not in his "bag of tricks", that's just raw individual personality coming out in an "i dont give a flying F" way, mixed with a total command of technique and ultimate rhythmic mastery to allow the freedom for the magic to just happen.

This man is beyond mortal in terms of his artistic expression, he is a superhuman. I believe to get to that point you need to be a bit crazy. Regular people just conform too much, they base their ideas way too much on other people's ideas. That's the beauty of the individual right there, without the individual we're screwed (pardon the Ayn Randism).
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:51 am

^^^^
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:23 am

The build up of tension and the release here is just INCREDIBLE...I think I've listened to this loop at least 50 times >>>

http://www.endlessvideo.com/watch?v=Mjk ... &end=1m33s

Thanks again for this gem Steve!!!
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:14 am

Steve Baby,

There you have it.

6 Pages of THANK YOUS.
Your peeps, and I, are very grateful.

Now, how about your next installment ??

Can you start where that left off and continue
after Steve's sax solo into Vinnie's solo
on this tune, Kamaroon ?

That's a nice !
Grazie
Manu

Postby Manu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:46 am

Steve Holmes wrote:^^^^

;)
Darren Altman

Postby Darren Altman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Manu wrote:This Vinnie is just pure inspiration on the spot, going for all or nothing, fearless art. Right there watching that video you can be witness to the real magic of human nature when exploited in the right manner and channeled towards a specific purpose, in this case, drumming.

The floor tom thing is just bananas, that ain't some lick he learned somewhere, that's not in his "bag of tricks", that's just raw individual personality coming out in an "i dont give a flying F" way, mixed with a total command of technique and ultimate rhythmic mastery to allow the freedom for the magic to just happen.

This man is beyond mortal in terms of his artistic expression, he is a superhuman. I believe to get to that point you need to be a bit crazy. Regular people just conform too much, they base their ideas way too much on other people's ideas. That's the beauty of the individual right there, without the individual we're screwed (pardon the Ayn Randism).

Er... it's meant to be a sax solo. It's one thing to support, it's another to play against to create tension and another to spunk all aover the soloist and other musicians, without listening to a note the soloist is playing. The "whoops and holas" are coming for a group of guys who have paid money to see Vinnie and Vinnie alone, regardless of the other members of the band. You can hear that they (along with Vinnie ) aren't listening to a note the sax player is playing. Vinnie could be playing with a mariachi band for all he cares.

I saw the video of 7 Days live where Vinnie throws the band and this video is a further example of a guy who can be so self focussed with his own playing and pushing himself - call it "fearless", call "the ego" call it what you will, that his boundaries of taste and musicality go out the window.... to the extent that he trows the rest of the band AND his band leader so they fuck up and come in spare, on the wrong beat. Now, don't get me wrong guys, I love Vinnie to bits, BUT his obsession with pushing and pushing and pushing his OWN boundaries causes the MUSIC to suffer.

It's interesting that in 6 pages of comments, not one of you mentions the music, context or other musicians. For me music is deeper than soley drums. Yes Vinnie he has the most ferocious technique and drumming brain, but you have to ask yourself: Why does a dog lick its balls? ...because he can.

Technically and creatively, there is no doubt that this is cuttting edge stuff, but at what expense? He might as well be in the shed at the bottom of his garden. The other musicians serve no pourose to him, exept to keep a meter for his pyrotechnics. His talents border on autism and it's like sometimes, he has no regard for his fellow musicians. He could be playing with anyone when he blows like this. I've seen lots of 'club date' fottage and it's all the same: Vinnie overplaying and shedding all over the other musicians constantly.

EDIT I've just read the weekend chatty post Steve about 'negative comments "some of the Johnston fans to come and (for whatever reason) spread their negativity and ignorance." - Does my post fall into that catagory? Apologies if I'm not allowed to post a contrary view of this vid?

Return to “Drumming Chat”