Buddy Rich Memorial: Who was there?

Rodge

Re: Buddy Rich Memorial: Who was there?

Postby Rodge » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:59 am

janne jansson wrote:
I've heard that Vinnie was really not as well-known (outside of studios in LA/NYC and certain circles) as Weckl and Gadd at the time. Would anyone here reckon that was true?

Hm.. No that´s not true.. If you played drums seriously you had knowledge about Vinnie..PIT was all about Vinnie and Weckl licks around that time among students and some teachers :)
And he had at the time done a lot of great albums that was well known around the world...
I think i saw him live 20 times that year mostly at a great place called "Le Cafe"
But his studio work i guess was mostly in LA, that was a great time for studio drumming, way before computers and Tonntracks/Bfd/Addictive drums killed it...

Rodge, what`s the name of the drummer in Paris that went to PIT at the time?

Fabien Haimovici, and he was talking all the time about that canadian guy, Ray Anderson I think, I guess you know those people.

-----------------------------------
This is me playing in 7/8:
http://youtu.be/KlkJ2QtY6hQ
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Had...? When I was at PIT it was all about Vinnie (particularly in the Bone circle). We spent hours going over tapes and various recordings of his.

Any way someone could be enticed to post one of those Dog Cheese recordings?
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 pm

I hate to raise desires here, but before Torrent and Dime we shared through
snail mail back in the day burning CD's and videos. I am almost positive I
shared with someone and someone sent one copy to me...I don't live near my
storage, but that CD is around somewhere. When I am back in town, I will dig
it up for sure.

Now...post those Joan Rivers clips...they were cool!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:11 pm

robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:15 pm

When I worked at The Guitar Store in Pomona, CA I ran the drum dept....early 80s.

In 1983-84 we did a Vinnie C clinic sponsored by Yamaha since we bought x-number of drumsets...place was packed. Vinnie was the buzz then...5-6 years before this BRMC in 89.

I have no photos or video...it was before anyone thought to do it.
samnmax203

Postby samnmax203 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm

@ Pocketplayer- I've got to work tomorrow as well as gigs afterwards, but when I get a moment I'll upload the Joan Rivers intros. I bought a dvd of all of the intros and song performances featuring Vinnie off of Ebay from a guy about 5-6 years ago. I remember him sending me an email saying if I wanted any other Vinnie stuff to let him know; if only I could find that email now! :)
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Joesmechanic wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:
Ardent15 wrote:I've heard that Vinnie was really not as well-known (outside of studios in LA/NYC and certain circles) as Weckl and Gadd at the time. Would anyone here reckon that was true?

Yes and no. Vinnie had already been on the cover of MD twice. I still have that 1987 copy some place talking about how he blew everyone away at a PAS Convention. Maybe Vinnie wasn't VINNNNNNIIEEEEE at that point, but everyone in the industry knew who he was and any drummer who read MD did.

Well, I can comment on the "Yes" part of this comment. People who grew up here in the San Fernando Valley and knew of Frank Zappa and his work were very hip to who Vinne was especially after Joes Garage came out. I still froth at the mouth listening to some of the outlandish/unhuman stuff Vinnie did/does on that. But even earlier than that, if some of the people remember some of the gigs at the Flying Jib of Vinnie doing his Baked Potatoesque craziness......is part of that whole that stuff was just GOLDEN!!

If I'm not mistaken, the Zildjian Day video predates the BRMC video. Doesn't it? Because I remember seeing that video and my mind exploded when he tried to relate playing in 5 to an audience member. Then someone in the audience shout, "PLAY IT!!", so then Vince sez, "Oh kayeeee.....Oh kayeeee". That was back in the day when he was hanging around alot with Tim Landers (bass player).

A little story Weckl told me once.....

I guess Weckl and his wife at the time were at one of the NAMM shows. I think it was the one after the BRMC video. Weckl tells me he's watching Vinnie soloing at some booth where they've got him behind plexiglass. If you've heard any of the hour long solo recordings that Steve had one HOD, that was pretty much what VInnie was doing. In other words, Vinnie was in his own world in a Vinnie tranz. I guess he started playing SO MUCH "STUFF", that Weckl had the same psychotic laugh that I always get when Vinnies going apeshit....he shakes his head and says, "this guys an animal".

I think that says it all.

Vinnies lucky in the fact that he has/had the athletic body to punch the drums like he did/does, the brain that could manage and create those insane abstract patterns, time sigs, and sheer chops, AND the experience of having some of the BEST teachers and influences that anybody could have.

I remember asking him about his hands at a recording session of Brian Brombergs once. I mentioned if he studied with Dick Wilson here in the Valley. He said yes. Has anybody else here studied with DIck Wilson or know of his techniques? I always was told from my drummer friend to see Dick. I was also told thats where Vinnie got his "hands".

Interesting post. Thanks for all that info and insight. It led me to this http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/ ... ing91.aspx
interview which was a great read. His beginnings in LA were pretty humble!

Does anyone know if Dick Wilson is still around LA? I wonder if he is still teaching?
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:18 am

@Rodge [quote=Fabien Haimovici, and he was talking all the time about that canadian guy, Ray Anderson I think, I guess you know those people."[quote]

They where in the classes 6 months after me.. but i remember hanging a little with Ray. I think he studied with " mr "Rick Licks" and he brought him down to the school
for som clinics...That`s 23 years ago...Some people that where great drummers never "made it" and some people there i thought where half decent made it to Modern Drummer and
made a living playing drums on big stages.. You NEVER know.. ;)
David Francis

Postby David Francis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:42 am

I believe Richard Wilson passed away a few years ago. I remember reading at least one feature article in MD about him and his students - will try to find out which issue as I remember it being a very interesting read.

There is a lot of info on both Wilson and Murray Spivack on Chuck Silverman's Basic Snare Drum Technique DVD... Chuck studied with both guys. Info here:

http://www.chucksilverman.com/media/media.html

David Garibaldi also studied with both - something I tried to quiz him about when I had a one-off lesson a few years back.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:08 am

janne jansson wrote:@Rodge [quote=Fabien Haimovici, and he was talking all the time about that canadian guy, Ray Anderson I think, I guess you know those people."

They where in the classes 6 months after me.. but i remember hanging a little with Ray. I think he studied with " mr "Rick Licks" and he brought him down to the school
for som clinics...That`s 23 years ago...Some people that where great drummers never "made it" and some people there i thought where half decent made it to Modern Drummer and
made a living playing drums on big stages.. You NEVER know.. ;)

Well, Fabien is very successful here in France, he's not anymore into Vinnie and that kind of shit, but for what he needs, perfect.
I think that Ray, is unknown in Canada, I don't even know if he's still musician.

So, who made it then ? :-)

Are you busy in your country ? I think that you teach a lot ?
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”