Buddy Rich Memorial: Who was there?

Isaac Lee

Re: Buddy Rich Memorial: Who was there?

Postby Isaac Lee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:54 pm

janne jansson wrote:@Rodge [quote=Fabien Haimovici, and he was talking all the time about that canadian guy, Ray Anderson I think, I guess you know those people."

They where in the classes 6 months after me.. but i remember hanging a little with Ray. I think he studied with " mr "Rick Licks" and he brought him down to the school
for som clinics...That`s 23 years ago...Some people that where great drummers never "made it" and some people there i thought where half decent made it to Modern Drummer and
made a living playing drums on big stages.. You NEVER know.. ;)

Isn't that an interesting phenomenon?
drummerjeff

Postby drummerjeff » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Isaac Lee wrote:
janne jansson wrote:@Rodge [quote=Fabien Haimovici, and he was talking all the time about that canadian guy, Ray Anderson I think, I guess you know those people."

They where in the classes 6 months after me.. but i remember hanging a little with Ray. I think he studied with " mr "Rick Licks" and he brought him down to the school
for som clinics...That`s 23 years ago...Some people that where great drummers never "made it" and some people there i thought where half decent made it to Modern Drummer and
made a living playing drums on big stages.. You NEVER know.. ;)

Isn't that an interesting phenomenon?

I have to agree, when I went to Berklee, John Blackwell was across the hall from me in the dorm, I was in classes with Antonio Sanchez, Steve Hass was there then too plus a bunch of others( little John Roberts, Abe Laborial, Johnny Rabb, ect ect).... but I have to say, the guy that just blew me away was Marko Djordgevic, although you hear about him hear and there.... I always thought that he was the guy that was going to be the biggest name.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:41 pm

drummerjeff wrote: I always thought that he was the guy that was going to be the biggest name.

Skill has nothing to do with 'name'.

Truly some of the most amazing drummers on this planet will only be known by a handful of people, hardly ever recorded and will have zero shiny ad's in mags.
drummerjeff

Postby drummerjeff » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:47 pm

ooo...I forgot Chad Wright(not sure on spelling)....he was another guy that I would always go see play... he had an identical twin that played bass... hearing that guy play taught me a ton about music, if you heard him play by himself, not all that memorable... hear him play with a band... wow
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:40 pm

drummerjeff wrote:lackwell was across the hall from me in the dorm, I was in classes with Antonio Sanchez, Steve Hass was there then too plus a bunch of others( little John Roberts, Abe Laborial, Johnny Rabb, ect ect).... but I have to say, the guy that just blew me away was Marko Djordgevic, although you hear about him hear and there.... I always thought that he was the guy that was going to be the biggest name.

Hey Jeff, you were in some very good compagny man !!! :o
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 am

This is a great thread
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:32 am

Morgenthaler wrote:This is a great thread

Yes.
Keep sharing !!
drummerjeff

Postby drummerjeff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Rodge wrote:
drummerjeff wrote:lackwell was across the hall from me in the dorm, I was in classes with Antonio Sanchez, Steve Hass was there then too plus a bunch of others( little John Roberts, Abe Laborial, Johnny Rabb, ect ect).... but I have to say, the guy that just blew me away was Marko Djordgevic, although you hear about him hear and there.... I always thought that he was the guy that was going to be the biggest name.

Hey Jeff, you were in some very good compagny man !!! :o

the amount of drummers that ended up being big names from my 4 years there is incredible...but more to the point of the post, the ones that made it to big names, were not the ones that were the most incredible(I am by no means putting down any of the afore mentioned drummers....they were all great....especially abe laborial jr......that guy has more chops and feel then he ever puts out there)... I just mean....Marko was the guy....he was doing and still is doing the stuff that made everybody...including the teachers go "wow"...
off note.....I am am a big fan of yours Rodge...great playin from the clips I have seen here
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:37 pm

I heard that The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show inspired and create an entire generation of drummers. I think for my generation it was often Tom Sawyer from Rush, or the Buddy Concert Tape 2. I bought the tape to see Weckl, having no idea who Vinnie was. Then after a couple viewings I saw things clearly. :shock: :idea: ;) :)
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:16 am

Steve, we're about the same age. Do you remember the first time (if ever) you heard the first Alf theme? I still do. Was Sept. 1986 I think. It took me a year to find out who the drummer was. Then I bought the GRP Super Live the DAY the CD came out (summer of '88 I think) and was surprised to find myself more drawn to the cheesy GRP smooth jazz stuff on the first disc. The music said "PGA Tournament," but the drumming was tasty. Patitucci's first disc came out around the same time and I was on my way to hard core Vinnie fan after that.

But it wasn't until BRMC came out that I became a DISCIPLE. LOL Like The Highlander, as far as I was concerned for about a decade, THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.

Return to “Drumming Chat”