Buddy Rich Memorial: Who was there?

Frank Sanchez

Buddy Rich Memorial: Who was there?

Postby Frank Sanchez » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:21 am

Hey guys,

I commented in the latest BRMC thread, but am afraid that most are done looking there. Having watched and been mesmerized again by the brilliance of Gadd, Weckl and Colaiuta, I wondered if anyone in the HOD community was in the house that night. I wondered about the vibe of the place, (Where was it anyway?) how the sound was, what was the story behind Vinnie's suit, etc. Was anyone there? I'd love to hear some stories...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Buddy Rich Memorial: Who was there?

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:50 am

Chris Brady may have been there?
Kendrum

Postby Kendrum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:39 pm

I was not at the show in California that was videotaped but I was at the very 1st BR memorial show which was held in Long Island, New York at the Westbury Music Fair in early 1989 If I recall correctly. This theatre is a theatre in the round with not a bad seat in the house. The stage also rotates. The band was located in the pit and the drum kits were circled around the stage. My memory is a bit hazy but the line up was:

Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Gadd
Dave Weckl
Joe Morello
Gregg Bissionette
Dom Famularo
Al Miller
Louie Bellson
And Danny Diemperio with the band

Here is a qoute from Gregg Bissionette from an article about Louie Bellson in which he mentions that show.

"One of the greatest thrills of my life was getting to play a big drum duet with Louie at the very FIRST Buddy Rich Memorial Tribute concert in 1989 on Long Island NY at the Westbury Music Fair (a great theatre in the round). This was a fantastic event that was the first in a series of many Buddy tribute concerts. Unfortunatley it was never recorded on audio or video. It featured Louie, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Coliauta, Dave Weckl, Joe Morello, Jim Chapin, Dom Famularo, Al Miller (a tremendous NY drummer who was also one of Buddy’s best friends,) Steve Arnold, and Danny Di Imperio (one of Maynard and Woody’s finest drummers with a GREAT house band made up of tons of Buddy alumni. Louie just absolutley tore it up with Buddy’s tribute Big Band!!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:32 pm

I vaguely remember Danny saying he was there. Did I imagine that?
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
tobiasralph

Postby tobiasralph » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Yes, I was fortunate enough to be there (in Long Island, NY) because I was the recipient of the first Buddy Rich Memorial scholarship. It was an amazing night to see all of my heroes on one stage. Just incredible. A night that I will never, ever forget. It was a thrill to win the award especially because I was still in H.S. at the time. That was a long time ago. Jeeze - thanks for the walk down memory lane. ;)
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 pm

A friend of mine was at PIT at that time, he's been graduate and he works non-stop here in Paris making big money.
He was at that show, he told me that that night, after the show, everybody was talking about Dennis Chambers, and later when he saw the video, it was all about Vinnie.

He told me that Erskine was there, and he was surprised that he was not on stage instead of Bissonnette, who did a great performance anyway.

That show for me, the one in LA, Vinnie, it was the begining or the end, but the face of the modern drumming changed that day, because Vinnie, it's what I think.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:49 pm

I've heard that Vinnie was really not as well-known (outside of studios in LA/NYC and certain circles) as Weckl and Gadd at the time. Would anyone here reckon that was true?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:34 pm

I think that it's true, Gadd was God, and Dave was the new drum star, and he was HUGE, the Eletrik Band was so famous and was touring all over the World, but Vinnie was already making his name in the studio, and was one the huge sensation in LA area, I know that Jeff was just singing high praise about Vinnie.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
james

Postby james » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:54 pm

chooch was there at the wiltern.
cbrady

Postby cbrady » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Steve is correct. Not only was I there for the performance, I was also there for the rehearsal and dress rehearsal. Those were magical times. On par with Hogwarts or the Shire.

Return to “Drumming Chat”