Anyone heard of 'Brotherly'?

Clint Hopkins

Anyone heard of 'Brotherly'?

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:50 pm

For the lack of a better description I would describe them as 'Zero 7' with the rhythmic sophistication of Steve Coleman and Five Elements. Mostly programmed stuff but pretty interesting.

David Francis

Re: Anyone heard of 'Brotherly'?

Postby David Francis » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 am

I certainly have!

I just recently watched the MD Fest DVD and was surprised to see John Riley discussing the Brotherly tune System.

Although I don't particularly know them to chat to, both of the main folks involved were at Leeds College of Music at the same time as me (although they were both a couple of years ahead of me I believe.)

I certainly remember seeing Anna Stubbs a number of times at a venue in Leeds called The Underground. I know the drummer who usually performs live with them - Martyn Kaine. He is a great drummer who studied with the same teacher as me in the North East and then was a couple of years ahead of me at Leeds. I've seen Martyn recently with Kyle Eastwood's band and he sounded better than ever. I think Martyn may have also posted on the old, old HOD board back in the day. I know at least two other UK HODers will be very familiar with Martyn's playing and the Brotherly material...

...anyone seen JOHN BLACKBURN around these parts recently?
Clint Hopkins

Re: Anyone heard of 'Brotherly'?

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm

David Francis wrote:I certainly have!

I just recently watched the MD Fest DVD and was surprised to see John Riley discussing the Brotherly tune System.

Although I don't particularly know them to chat to, both of the main folks involved were at Leeds College of Music at the same time as me (although they were both a couple of years ahead of me I believe.)

I certainly remember seeing Anna Stubbs a number of times at a venue in Leeds called The Underground. I know the drummer who usually performs live with them - Martyn Kaine. He is a great drummer who studied with the same teacher as me in the North East and then was a couple of years ahead of me at Leeds. I've seen Martyn recently with Kyle Eastwood's band and he sounded better than ever. I think Martyn may have also posted on the old, old HOD board back in the day. I know at least two other UK HODers will be very familiar with Martyn's playing and the Brotherly material...

...anyone seen JOHN BLACKBURN around these parts recently?

Just one more reason to pick that MD Fest DVD up, I guess. :) They seem to have a pretty interesting hemiola thing going on in the context of electronica/dance music. I'm anxious to check out their CD and Riley's take on 'System'.
Thanks for chiming in, David.

Return to “Drumming Chat”