VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Old Pit Guy

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:36 am

I can relate to when we are young and idolizing people we admire or aspire to be like, for sure. I think that's natural to a point when we are younger.

But it's interesting that you replied, Rodge, because I recall the interview you did with V.C. and when you posted a snippet of it and he was talking about "Psychic Vampires" and how that whole scene discouraged him. And there's definitely a mild psychopathy where people will latch onto the idolized and draw from the energy around them so they can derive benefit from it. You always see this with people involved on the product end. Hell, there's a well known drum builder whose picture deserves to accompany the phrase.

And I think what goes on with some guys who idolize their drum heroes maybe a little too much and beyond their youth is that they seek out personal information and they play off of that by offering that information on forums and in conversation with other players to create a sense of familiarity that's used to boost their own cred. Obviously, not everyone who admires someone does that, and I rarely noticed it in personal relations and interactions, but it's certainly more prevalent in the internet age than in the late 70s and 80s.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:04 am

I think that people looking to boost themselves by throwing names and stuff like "he's my friend...", "I know that story 'cause he told me first hand...", or throwing gossip, they are going nowhere...

Good memory about what said Vinnie on the interview I did with him. http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/Interviews/Batteur2012
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:06 am

None better than freshmen at a music college at that. :lol:

Thing are often not true in those cases, though. There are also a bunch older musicians hanging on to old rumors just to drag people down or they simply don't know what else to talk about.

I personally find things interesting. Not tabloid type gossip, but to get ideas from artists you feel a relation to in how they express themselves musically. Where they come from and why they do what they do is interesting in that regard. It's another side of music education.

There is only a handful of musicians that have had that type of influence. To me Vinnie is one of those along with Mike Landau, Joni Mitchell and Bendik Hofseth.

Now, I've met Mike a few times and Bendik was one of my teachers at uni. I got Vinnie to sign my album on the Document tour, but that's all really and I was both young and all about the guitar back then. It was actually the day my concept of guitar tone completely changed. I just think it would be interesting to sit down and shoot the breeze with them. Not from a stalkerish perspective, just maybe actually having a conversation worth having. I'm way too old and have seen way too much shit to idolize people.

Most people are into gossip, though. That's why those TV shows and magazines sell. Don't see this in this case, though. You sort of have to be a drummer, or at least a musician and these days to a large extent belong to a certain generation to care. Sting is famous, Vinnie really isn't.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:34 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:None better than freshmen at a music college at that. :lol:

I personally find things interesting. Not tabloid type gossip, but to get ideas from artists you feel a relation to in how they express themselves musically. Where they come from and why they do what they do is interesting in that regard. It's another side of music education.

I don't think we're going to manage a linear conversation here ...

Yes, to "get ideas from artists you feel a relation to in how they express themselves musically" has very little to do with seeking personal information -- is he married, is he a loner, is he a drug addict, is he this or is he that.

Context that stays on topic really helps conversation. Maybe Paul was right.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:11 pm

To cetain drummers Vinnie is a celebrity. In that regard there's probably less other info out there. That probably just opens up a bit of curiosity right there.

Keeping a bit of that mystery also secures status and is good PR.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:12 pm

100 pages thread with no comments about the man´s life. Someone asked if he had kids? No big deal imo.
For the most part Vinnie lives a life "uncommon" for most people (being a A-list freelancer). Questions like how to balance relationships and traveling or working crazy hours seems fair.
Some old footage... :mrgreen:
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:100 pages thread with no comments about the man´s life. Someone asked if he had kids? No big deal imo.
For the most part Vinnie lives a life "uncommon" for most people (being a A-list freelancer). Questions like how to balance relationships and traveling or working crazy hours seems fair.

Certainly.

He's experienced the golden age of his main genres, he's also still out doing it himself.

In our world he's up there sort of next to Buddy and there isn't really any sort of biography, which is understandable considering the type of musician he is, but with most people at that level there is something.

The questions like these are relevant for musicians, especially in this day and age when it's harder than ever to do it.

It's been mentioned a few times in interviews that he go tired of the long extented Sting tours, but since he and Tal joined Jeff Beck it's seems to be non stop and now it's been Sting again for quite a while.

Ther's also the simple thing of age and how long he'll be doing it.

I sort of think it's getting close to his time for the American Drummers Achievement Awards, or something like that.
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:58 pm

"Psychic Vampires"

People like this are real.

In fact, there was a movie about this phenomenon.

Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:
Married and divorced to Darlene. Josh Freeeze was the ring bearer. Married for about 11 years.

Julián Fernández wrote:100 pages thread with no comments about the man´s life. Someone asked if he had kids? No big deal imo.

I just revisited this thread and thanks guys, my questions really were just that, some trivial interest in Vinnie outside of drums.
I understand Old Pit Guy's concern about why we shouldn't be interested in someone's private life.
But humans are just naturally curious, we can't help it.

What is actually wrong with wanting to know a little more about someone. Particularly of a drummer talked about almost exclusively on a forum which is virtually a shrine to him.
What if we knew he has a kid that might continue in his dad's footsteps. How cool it would be to know
that Vinnie's legacy/gift might be handed down to his son or daughter.
Last edited by Rudy_Ment on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:27 pm

To me Vinnie's family life is a topic probably best left to him and those he feels comfortable discussing it with. $0.02

Not insulting your curiosity at all Rudy. Just my opinion on topics like this. ;)

Return to “Drumming Chat”