VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

nomsgmusic

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby nomsgmusic » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:16 pm

Kurtis wrote:
nomsgmusic wrote:
Steve Holmes wrote:Chick actually loses 1 on Tumba and asks Vinnie for it resulting in a big SMASH on 1 soon after. Tumba and Humpty are pretty amazing on there - getting the CD and then the videos back then was FUN!

When I saw the Acoustic Band plus 2 (Wallace Roney and Bob Berg) the week or month before in NYC, Vinnie was losing EVERYBODY! That was, still to this day, the most "drums" I have ever seen someone play on any (actual) GIG (whether it was musical or not could be debated, and has been.) But Lord God Almighty, was Vinnie playing some amazing drums that week!!! Every musician and drummer in the audience was just shaking their heads in disbelief.

That week makes that trio recording (that I love too) sound like Ahmad Jamal "Live at the Pershing." (HA! I love that record too!)

Weird, years later, I had a couple of long conversations with Chick about that week, and the week of the CD, and "hate" is a strong term. He had some issues with it, but I wouldn't say "hate," (nor did Chick use that word.)

MSG

This video Rodge posted has shaken and stirred some drumming vibes.

Noms you have had some fortunate VC experiences!

I was at the baked potato gig. The place was packed. I was hanging onto one of the pole that goes down to the stage. Carmine Appice was there struggling just to get a view of VC. I was hanging on peoples shoulders just to see VInnie .

Yes, I've been lucky (I guess?) But if you hang around this world enough, follow your muse, and take enough chances, you'll have a pretty enjoyable life, and hopefully make people smile.

Interesting, while everyone always talks about the VC Chick dates, all of the Baked Potato gigs, and the one nighter Pattitucci tour... I never hear the week at the old Iridium (uptown) in NYC talked about. I couldn't have been the only drummer who attended that week. I actually sat with Johnny D one night if I remember correctly. (So there's two drummers.)

Jason Miles did a week long tribute to Weather Report that was soooo much better than the record. Vinnie, Mark Egan, Chuck Loeb, Mino Cinelu, Jason Miles, and half week of Steve Wilson and half week of Eric Alexander on saxes. I went for four nights. Seeing Vinnie play WR music with Mino was amazing, his hook up with Mark was good and playful. Jason doing his best Zawinul impression, Chuck was playing his ass off (not "smooth" at all,) and Vinnie and Steve Wilson were mixing it up from note one.

I remember Vinnie left the morning after the last gig to go do the Asia record, we kidded about that. I think maybe Vinnie did Egan's record while he was out here as well. Mino was wearing a blue leather jacket that matched my Yamaha Blue Cobalts, we had played together prior. And after I told him that his jacket matched my drums, he offered to give me the jacket. Yes, he offered to give me the coat off of his back because it matched my drums. Mino is one of the great percussionists, musicians, and people ever! Steve Wilson was actually doing some gigs with me (and MANY others) at the time, and I asked him all about the inside happenings of that gig. No real "stories" but that everyone knew how lucky they were to have Vinnie on the gig, and there was VERY little (if no) rehearsal time. Everyone (basically) sight reading WR tunes.

Anyway....
Good times!
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:54 pm

CHICK COREA NEW YEARS EVE QUINTET
I attended this venue, bought 3 nights hotel stay to hear Vinnie.
Jan 1, 2, 3 1993
I sat on Vinnie's left 5 ft away. Each night he was handed the book
and put it, UNOPENED, on his monitor, covering the speaker.
I sat with Billy Hart and Zack Danziger and Joanne Brackeen.
I taped all sets all 3 nights and got the best audio--changed batteries in the Men's Room each set.
Got a good photo of Vinnie and me that Chick took at my request upstairs.
So many icons in the house-Randy Brecker, Mike Clark, etc
Vinnie played more aggressively than I've ever seen or heard him play--and I've heard him plenty since 1980.
He was cheered on by THE HOUSE, as if he were the leader. He made Berg's and Roney's lip BLEED !
If you are aware of how intensely Tony played his ride, double, triple that for Vinnie's 6 night stay there.
I'm STILL BAFFLED as to why this date was not recorded for commercial release !! The Tokyo date doesn't compare
in the sense that when Vinnie backed the two horn players, it got even more intense, busy, crazy and unbelievable.
Years later, I asked Bob Berg what it was like playing that date with Vinnie, he said, "when playing with Vinnie,
it was so comfortable...he just lead you and you followed.....but when I hear play back, I wonder how I did that."
-------Once in a lifetime experience-----
SergioAngelino

Postby SergioAngelino » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:33 am

NEW CD from VINNIE!!!!!

....go to

Vinnie....and Gergo Borlai...
SUPER CD
Ciao
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:20 am

Free Download for XYZ https://www.bluecanoerecords.com/store/ ... t#/payment
ORDER SUMMARY
XYZ - Jeff Richman (Free Download)
Qty: 1
$0.00
Subtotal $0.00
Taxes $0.00
Order Total
$0.00
YOUR DETAILS

Email Address
PERSONAL INFORMATION

First Name
Last Name
Address Line 1
Address Line 2
City
State

Zip Code
Country

United States
Phone Number

United States +1

By providing your email and phone number, you agree to receive emails and text messages related to your order and may receive promotional emails and offers from us. Standard text messaging rates may apply. Reply STOP to opt-out of receiving future text messages related to your order or unsubscribe from any email sent to you.

NEXT
PAYMENT INFORMATION
REVIEW & SUBMIT ORDER
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:50 pm

love the drumming on this tune
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:35 am

ORDER SUMMARY

I kinda find this really depressing...Jeff puts out a new CD of his work with "A" players
and has to offer it for free? Or, there is a Youtube video of all his tracks. :o

Old news I know, but still, this ain't right...I suppose if you are under 30 this is all
you know...how I miss the days of going to record shops...flipping through the used
section...or just buying a NEW LP/CD and never thinking I am over-paying...a good
product cost money...it is worth buying. How the paradigm has shifted.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:05 am

Kurtis wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gHN9zKHgK0

love the drumming on this tune

Taking some liberties as only Colaiuta can - and making it work within the groove.
This is the original version by the late great David Crosby :

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:55 pm

brilliance

Nightwalker 1981,
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:17 am

Pocketplayer wrote:
ORDER SUMMARY

I kinda find this really depressing...Jeff puts out a new CD of his work with "A" players
and has to offer it for free? Or, there is a Youtube video of all his tracks. :o

Old news I know, but still, this ain't right...I suppose if you are under 30 this is all
you know...how I miss the days of going to record shops...flipping through the used
section...or just buying a NEW LP/CD and never thinking I am over-paying...a good
product cost money...it is worth buying. How the paradigm has shifted.

I know what you mean brother, so sad indeed....
Yesterday I bough for my own enjoyment 2 vinyls, "Atomic Basie" and "Pirates" Ricky Lee Jones.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:42 pm

oldie but goodie

Return to “Drumming Chat”