VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:28 pm

That's what I did when I ended up with his old sigs. Seems I can play anything at this point, but I'm gonna miss those tips when I run out. Durablity of the Vic version left a lot to be desired.

The Zildjian ones just got a bit dented. The Vics started chipping right away. I've even gotten splinters in my fingers from them.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm

The rehearsal playing was insane...but Vinnie lays down some of the best
minimal playing that is tasty, fresh, and studio perfect here...worth a
repeat listen

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__cBmOEFtCE

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/brianeisenbergjazzorches

Best Vinnie vids for 2017? Woah, killer... :shock: :o :shock:
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm

He's really using a variety of cymbals, those are some splashy Paistes.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 am

Are those Gadd Sticks...?
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 am

sjj123 wrote:Are those Gadd Sticks...?

They look too long to be Gadd sticks to me, but I don't know. Could be something like these:

http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Stick ... ish_2.html
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:48 am

No, Paul is right. It's these.

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 am

Surely, if they are Promark sticks, they are black, with a non-stained tip, so not
fire grain but one of the models *not* fire grain on this list:

http://www.promark.com/pmProductDrumset ... ageID=9672
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:16 am

November 7, 2017

It is with great sadness that today I learned of the passing of my former Senior High School band director, Mr. Sammy Bill, who passed away on Sunday evening. He was the band director of Brownsville Area High School, Brownsville, PA.

For me it’s another piece of the end of an era; a different time with certain sensibilities and principles still intact, valued, and lived.

Sammy represented all of that and lived it, and instilled it in all of us. He took pride in his band, and so did we.

He nurtured our talent, and spotted those who were committed to developing it and a future as a musician, with passion, and dedication. He, as well as our Junior High music directors went the extra mile to help us along in every way they could. I personally was sponsored private lessons at Carnegie Mellon University, even in Junior High School. They believed in me and went the extra mile, of their own accord.

Our ‘stage band’ would participate in events in other areas, and our marching band would do the same.

We would attend clinics, jazz and music camps, or summer music programs encouraged and facilitated by them, such as the summer music camp at West Virginia University, which I myself attended 3 summers in a row.

We had well known musicians visit our schools and perform concerts there; we could be exposed to the music that contributed to our development, and that we loved. My dear friends and bandmates such as Scott Elias, David Braham, Jerry Leoni, Jeff Lashway…all went on to become professionals; they forged wonderful careers. They too came up under Mr. Bills’ tutelage.

I’m so grateful to have lived and developed in that time.

It was a time in which we felt that our dreams could actually become reality. We could be pros.

The schools had music programs that were supported. It didn’t only matter to us, it mattered nationally, and was respected, encouraged, and fostered. It was deemed necessary for culture; for creativity, development, and a host of other benefits, if not just damm good food for the soul.

Now, in the same school that he taught us, there is none. No music program in the school. If I were a student there now, I would not have any of that available to me.

I’ll miss Sammy, but he’s made an indelible imprint on me. I’ve gone on to do many things since then; all of which he played an essential part. Had I not gotten the education, nurturing, and support, who knows how it may have played out. I may not have clung to a hope that seemed so real; one that I could believe in 100 percent, that would propel me forward with a fervor to not look back, be sidetracked, or have any doubts, but instead to charge onward with the love, passion, skills and belief for which I had aimed.

I wish there were more Sammys right now.

Thank you Mr. Bill. Thank you for all that you’ve done for me, and for all of us. I’m proud to have known you.

Rest in peace.
-Vinnie.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Beautifully written, but you can't elevate ignorance (the internet) to captain and expect a sensible course.

Return to “Drumming Chat”