VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Rodge

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Rodge » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:45 am

True, but for ME, from the 1st track to the last one, no so much album have that consistency on all level (composition, playing and so on...), I don't listen the whole album of 5 Piece, or even Karizma.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:05 am

Reading Rodge's Vinnie interview -
https://vinniecolaiuta.com/Interviews/Batteur2012
I can't help but notice the criticizing of social media, and videoing concerts.

Then I notice his twitter feed these days.
https://twitter.com/vinniecolaiuta

Seems he's succumbing to the social media thing. Also posting YT links....of musical performances.
I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's interesting.

I DO NOT WANT TO START A DISCUSSION ON POLITICAL VIEWS. The longer one is on the planet often they get more conservative. Just let it be.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:12 am

To expand my thought....
He even criticizes the VHS movement of the 80s so we see he has always been kind of anti-video media as many of us know. That's FINE - but I think it's myopic to not acknowledge that quite simply - it may work for others. Not everyone is the same. If younger Vinnie and had a friend with a box full of Tony VHS tapes I'm sure he would have dug in. So approaching the topic in a binary fashion instead of acknowledging all sides of an issue is what I disagree with.

ALSO he often says that (back in his day) - he had to listen to records and tapes and figure it out. This works well for many of us (myself included) - but AGAIN - it's not binary! It's possible to listen to records and figure stuff out AND watch videos. I'm pretty sure that describes most of Gen X drummers.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:16 pm

I deleted my Twitter account a few weeks back. I just couldn't handle it anymore. So vile and polluted, from all corners.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:19 pm

TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE but I would argue that one is in charge of what's in their feed.
I find Twitter to be a bit more sane compared to other outlets, but I have a timeline seasoned over years that's mostly video game industry with a minor in musicians.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:04 am

Rodge wrote:True, but for ME, from the 1st track to the last one, no so much album have that consistency on all level (composition, playing and so on...), I don't listen the whole album of 5 Piece, or even Karizma.

Most of my favourite albums are live albums.

The Mark Egan album has a special place, but probably as much about memories attached to it, though.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:48 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:I deleted my Twitter account a few weeks back. I just couldn't handle it anymore. So vile and polluted, from all corners.

I’ve always felt if you’re approaching Twitter, any social media, really, as an adjunct to what you have going on, I think it’s fine. But if your approach to it derives from not having much else going on it's a rabbit hole.

As to Colauita, or any drum hero, I’m rarely interested in the personalities of the people behind the music I enjoy. Partly because I don’t want to spoil the experience the music provides. Familiarity, unfortunately, too often does as it is said to do.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:58 am

Twitter is for the birds.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:00 am

Steve Holmes wrote:TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE but I would argue that one is in charge of what's in their feed.
I find Twitter to be a bit more sane compared to other outlets, but I have a timeline seasoned over years that's mostly video game industry with a minor in musicians.

Let's face it, the Internet has turned out to be a big failure, leading to less integrity, mass hysteria, homogeneity, distress, and new levels of illegal activity in all corners of the world. I think we can trace it all back to the introduction of Apple's iPhone. Ever since that point in time, pretty much everything has devolved.

https://www.ritamawebdesign.com/tim-ber ... b-regrets/

“While the problems facing the web are complex and large, I think we should see them as bugs: problems with existing code and software systems that have been created by people—and can be fixed by people.”
When asked what ordinary people can do, Berners-Lee replied, “You don’t have to have any coding skills. You just have to have a heart to decide enough is enough. Get out your Magic Marker and your signboard and your broomstick. And go out on the streets.”

Okay, I'll stop being Debbie Downer now. Carry on... :D
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:41 pm

In order to deem what "the internet" has done, one has to have a complete understanding of its effect the world. That's just not possible.
Sure, there's bad aspects, but also good ones. Folks don't spend too much time actually thinking about what good it has done because they're too entrenched in worries regarding social media and politics, streaming royalties, yada yada. All of that is VALID - but there's more. There's aways more.
The amount of genuine educating it has done is immeasurable. The amount of inspiring, raising awareness on new artists in a field, introduced lovers, re-connected families, allowed young people in ignorant areas to see a bigger picture.

For better or worse the internet did not bring anything new to the table, it just streamlined people being people. That's not new, it's old. It's just we're all much more exposed to all the aspects of it now. It's on each person to put things in perspective and be smart.
THAT worries me more than Facebook.

Return to “Drumming Chat”