VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Kurtis

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:58 pm

fun stuff. what does vinnie eat! energy for days on every single thing he's played on.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Tom Reschke wrote:there must be something about it (and all the others) that I don’t like because I WANT to love this band, I just don’t for some reason.

+1

(Vinnie's drum sound -except the amazing cross stick- on tracks like Chi Town reminds me of some Roland electronic drums that I heavily dislike)
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 am

Kurtis wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTBqIVPlMCw

fun stuff. what does vinnie eat! energy for days on every single thing he's played on.

Wow the drum sound on that album is crap. I wish Vinnie cared about his sound as much as Weck did.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:28 am

It must be that he's making a choice about sound, rather than not caring? Surely.

For me his natural Gretsch kit that he used pre-signature kit is the ultimate drum sound, just perfect, but he tended to use clear heads and go for a big open-but-focused, classic USA Custom sound. Signature kit was much more muted, presumably because of head choice and tuning - that must have been a concious choice by him, no?
____
Ned
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:47 am

"I wish Vinnie cared about his sound as much as Weck did."

Amen
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:34 am

If we're talking about the last kit there's no suspension. He also seems to often put half a piece of moongel on them.

To me, the Live Muse sound is pretty much a s good as it gets. These other situations I'm sure how much control he has. Going the Weckl route. Only Weckl does that, but yeah, it's quite a lot simpler with today's gear.
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:38 pm

To be fair, I think Weckl is just in a better place to dictate the engineering of his recorded drum sound than Vinnie because he’s not recording with near as many different artists or in such diverse studio environments. I think Weckl is often either engineering his own drum sound or working with people that highly value his input in that regard. It’s a smaller, and more genre specific group of “customer” than Vinnie’s by a long shot.

If you listen to the records where Vinnie does have input or assists in the engineering (his solo record for one example) the drum sound is killing.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:37 pm

Seriously? Wow...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm

silly stuff

not so silly
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 am

To be fair, I think Weckl is just in a better place to dictate the engineering of his recorded drum sound than Vinnie because he’s not recording with near as many different artists or in such diverse studio environments.

Agreed! Drum sound not that bad...second LP might be a bit "Roland"...it would seem in
Jing Chi however, VC wold have final authority on all things drums with this band.
I never dug Gadd's drum sound much, always thought why some of the great drummers
have mediocre drum sound. In the early 2000's, Virg's Pearl kit had horrible toms...cardboard
boxes sounded better Live. His snare always was perfection, but those toms...maybe it was
the room (Baked Potato)???
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”