VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

geoffgilldrums

Re: VINNIE - Vintage videos...OK or not vintage.

Postby geoffgilldrums » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Kurtis wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn2xuWcfQbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJQYHDy2ZCo

new material with vinnie on it

MAAAAN, this is NICE. "Clark Kent Versus Secret Insurance Agent". reminds me when i heard Jing Chi for the first time. love the uber tight Hat work in the beginning. Holyeeecrap, the solo at the end. Studio MICs just love Vinnie...sick.
Last edited by geoffgilldrums on Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanta drummer. If it grooves, I dig it !
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:19 pm

Kurtis wrote:new material with vinnie on it

That's over two years old.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:05 am

I suppose he means new to youtube. I bought that one soon after it came out. A couple of tracks by Simon Phillips have serious pockets.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:16 am

beat hit wrote:This new Fafard is really good... Been enjoying it more and more.. Vinnie's playing is very seasoned and contextually smart... He recorded the 10 tracks in two days... wow...
http://www.antoinefafard.com/adperpetuum.html

I finally took delivery of this one. I generally like it but find it compositionally uneven and lacking in variety when compared to Occultus Tramitis. Some of the tunes are very dense, made worse for me by the guitar tone. I've only done two listens, though. Solus Operandi took me awhile but I came to really like it.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:47 am

I bought the Evolution disc. Simon plays some killer grooves.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Old Pit Guy wrote:
beat hit wrote:This new Fafard is really good... Been enjoying it more and more.. Vinnie's playing is very seasoned and contextually smart... He recorded the 10 tracks in two days... wow...

I finally took delivery of this one. I generally like it but find it compositionally uneven and lacking in variety when compared to Occultus Tramitis. Some of the tunes are very dense, made worse for me by the guitar tone. I've only done two listens, though. Solus Operandi took me awhile but I came to really like it.

"Occultus Tramitis" is very good but I prefer his latest.. In fact one of the main reasons I like it so much is the guitar.. I mean, De Villiers has always been on my top 5 favorite guitarists (he's lesser known in the U.S).. Love his sound and tone actually, his melodic phrasing and how leaves space in his solos NOT just a show off of technical prowess for its own sake. His playing on this album could very well be his very best to date.

There aren't as many guests on this project as the previous ones and the whole album was co-produced by De Villiers which differs from his previous two, which might in one sense explain your perception that it lacks in variety. Vinnie did a superb job, I got to appreciate and enjoy Vinnie's playing the more I listened to it... What he chooses to play and when.. How he comes into the drum solo on the 5th track is classic Vinnie = TASTY!! The half-time shuffle on the 1st track is nice too.. Would be curious to see how he incorporates the tom patterns in his groove while keeping the Hi-Hat shuffle going.. I am sure he switches to his left hand.. Again, love his ideas on this one.

The 6th track (drum-duo with Gary Husband) is very well written IMHO, nicely done by both Gary and Vinnie.. Gary's drums overdub shows off his deep musicianship once again.

Gerry Etkins is also one my favorite keyboard player, classic Etkins solo on the 3rd track.. ME LOVE IT!! I keep going back to this CD, listening again and again... That's a good sign I think... :D
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:20 am

beat hit wrote:
Old Pit Guy wrote:

There aren't as many guests on this project as the previous ones and the whole album was co-produced by De Villiers which differs from his previous two, which might in one sense explain your perception that it lacks in variety. I keep going back to this CD, listening again and again... That's a good sign I think... :D

Not having guest players does make a difference. I think it's a big difference here compositionally, and the performances, while excellent, are uneven to me .. The continuity from track to track doesn't strike me as particularly good, and Fafard's lines and solos are becoming samey. I know that's easy to do, especially when he's wearing many hats.

I'm already skipping over a few tunes, but it's still early. When something settles into a groove with some space I turn up. The notey-fusion stuff I'm turning down. Whereas on Occultus I like many of the tunes as tunes and not for the gymnastics. I'd be curious to know how much Vinnie C. enjoyed his time with this one.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:54 pm

That "Mercury Falling" intro:
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:18 pm

Holy Mother of God. He's still got hellacious doubles.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:07 am

Return to “Drumming Chat”