VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Rodge

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Rodge » Mon May 31, 2021 10:18 am

I was at that show in Koblenz/Germany, the sound was HUGE in the room !!!
But so many drummers that day, it was too much for me, I learned that day that I can't swallow so much drumming in one day... :D

I met a guy there, we were at the same hotel, he's from Brisbane/Australia, but he lived in London at that time, he's one of my best friends since that day. :-)

Steve Holmes wrote:And now...

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
jjccee

Postby jjccee » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:52 am

bensdrums wrote:
Morgenthaler wrote:
Tom Reschke wrote:
Out of all the records he's on this is definitely top 5 for me (might even be number 1). Ten Summoner's Tales is a fucking clinic on how to play for the song behind an iconic singer/songwriter and still play some of the tastiest, nastiest shit on record. There's soooooooo much genius little shit that the average person wouldn't ever notice because the groove is so taken care of. It's a pretty ridiculous pop drumming performance. I mean... he's the man.

Right there with you guys. The first time I heard 'Love Is Stronger Than Justice' I was floored. Seven Days was never my favorite, but LISTJ just killed me. Still does. That whole album is a drum clinic for all the reasons you mention, Tom. It is such a master piece from that perspective. (and many others)

LISTJ had a similar effect on me. It was the first song I ever learned to play that wasn’t in 3, 4, or 6, and I remember it being easier than I’d thought. It was brilliant and it made so much perfect sense all at once. Like that was the only way a drummer could play that song.

Come to think of it, a lot of Vinnie’s stuff is like that for me. If I’m on a gig where Take Me to the River is on the set list, I end up doing all his crafty subtle little shit from that Commitments record. You just can’t unhear it. It immediately embeds in your psyche.

TST however is one of the best records ever made, much of it thanks to Vinnie’s genius, but also to the songwriting. It was (IMO) Sting’s apex.

Hi Bensdrums

Are you saying that Vinnie played on Take Me To The River on that Commitments record from the early 90´s? If thats the case its a huge surprise to me... :shock:
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:27 pm

jjccee wrote:
bensdrums wrote:
Morgenthaler wrote:
Right there with you guys. The first time I heard 'Love Is Stronger Than Justice' I was floored. Seven Days was never my favorite, but LISTJ just killed me. Still does. That whole album is a drum clinic for all the reasons you mention, Tom. It is such a master piece from that perspective. (and many others)

LISTJ had a similar effect on me. It was the first song I ever learned to play that wasn’t in 3, 4, or 6, and I remember it being easier than I’d thought. It was brilliant and it made so much perfect sense all at once. Like that was the only way a drummer could play that song.

Come to think of it, a lot of Vinnie’s stuff is like that for me. If I’m on a gig where Take Me to the River is on the set list, I end up doing all his crafty subtle little shit from that Commitments record. You just can’t unhear it. It immediately embeds in your psyche.

TST however is one of the best records ever made, much of it thanks to Vinnie’s genius, but also to the songwriting. It was (IMO) Sting’s apex.

Hi Bensdrums

Are you saying that Vinnie played on Take Me To The River on that Commitments record from the early 90´s? If thats the case its a huge surprise to me... :shock:

You're right... I can't remember where I read it way back when but I am mistaken based on cursory internet searches. My bad, but more than that, my memory sucks and I've been mistaken for years. Can't believe I've had it confused for that long. Thanks for setting me straight - you can't believe how dumb I feel at this moment! We're talking years of misunderstanding. Oh well. Thanks internet!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:56 am

My boy...

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:51 pm

^^^ Rodge!!! yes. i have rewind those drum breaks over and over to this day. gems!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Brand new.

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:18 am

A VERY FEROCIOUS Don Vincenzo here, bloody hell, are you kid' me !!! :o

beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:21 am

Speaking of Jeff, just ordered this 45th anniversary t-shirt. "Wired" was my doorway to Jazz Fusion, memories... memories... :D

https://jeffbeckofficialstore.com/produ ... ed-t-shirt
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:41 pm

is that a paiste 2002 ride? Thank goodness that was captured on video!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:16 pm

I loved that album back in the days, Vinnie throws some great inspired stuff here and there, stuff never heard before, only him...
The fill at 4:22, damn... :o

A shuffle, always on point...

Return to “Drumming Chat”