Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:55 am

Didn't know there was one in Miami.

Japan
Oslo
Germany
Copenhagen
Chicago
Berklee

There's another one, think I got it from Dime a long time ago, where he had a bass player with(don't remember who) him that's not on youtube. Is it that one?
beat hit

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby beat hit » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 am

Sorry if this one was posted already...
Cowboy "Yeee Haaa" hats
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Didn't know there was one in Miami.

Japan
Oslo
Germany
Copenhagen
Chicago
Berklee

There's another one, think I got it from Dime a long time ago, where he had a bass player with(don't remember who) him that's not on youtube. Is it that one?

I am thinking there was another--either in Tampa, or Memphis, or Miami, or somewhere. Tim Landers might have been playing with him--so yes, I think that could be the one. So you have a link for that clinic? Anyways, the tune Alice the Goon was really exciting stuff--if anybody knows if it is online somewhere, I would be curious to find out. Thanks!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:33 am

Steve Michaud wrote:
Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Didn't know there was one in Miami.

Japan
Oslo
Germany
Copenhagen
Chicago
Berklee

I am thinking there was another--either in Tampa, or Memphis, or Miami, or somewhere. Tim Landers might have been playing with him--so yes, I think that could be the one. So you have a link for that clinic? Anyways, the tune Alice the Goon was really exciting stuff--if anybody knows if it is online somewhere, I would be curious to find out. Thanks!

Landers sounds about right. Think that was a bit earlier than the others. More hard hitting and "rockish" playing.

Having all my faculties back, going through all of these again sounds like a good pre-christmas activity for me, so if noone else knows I'll let you know if I find it.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:54 pm

I have a "Tampa clinic with Tim Landers 1984".
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
drumpal

Postby drumpal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:00 pm

Does anybody have any audio of Vinnie with Chaka Khan from the 80s (with Jimmy Haslip on bass)? A guy that went to Berklee told me that he had a Chaka concert with Vinnie on cassette that was killer. Somebody broke in his apartment and stole his stereo, which had the tape in it. He never got another copy. I've never heard it, but he said Vinnie is killing on it, and did a cool solo on her version of Night in Tunisia.
Brandon Burr

Postby Brandon Burr » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:40 pm

In case you all haven't seen this, it looks to have been posted a few days ago. It starts at about 3:30....

This is some of the best Vinnie stuff I've seen in a while, though it's a few years old.

PS - Prepare to get a tinge angry at about 31:30, though what's there is all kinds of excellent. Speaking of tinges, Kenny Garrett is just a tinge in the way at times, but all is forgiven. ;)
Actually, this guy's channel has many extended videos of Vinnie, and there's several things in there that I haven't seen...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWtFJe ... JIMkwZEVaA
"They're just chunky enough...a little chocolatey..." - VC (12)
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:59 am

VINNIE WITH CHAKA KHAN

I was fortunate to see/hear Vinnie in December 1984 at DAR Constitution Hall, Wash DC
with Khan.

I met Vinnie in the afternoon. He was upstairs in a chair supply room with wooden chairs stacked up
and he was warming up on table tops. He went through many hand warm ups. Haslip was warming
up on bass acoustically (no speaker).

After telling Vinnie how much of a fan I was and that I had seem him in May at Zildjian Day, NYC,
he gave me 2 free tickets and a backstage pass. I indeed went back to that room after the show,
met Vinnie and then wife, Darlene, and gave them a ride to his hotel.

I will NEVER FORGET how cool Vinnie's fills were in Night in Tunisia. Never heard it played so
excitingly before. If I were Chaka and realized the scope of his talent, I would have opened that
section up ... not for a long solo, but for the unique and impromptu fills Vinnie played around
those band hits. Wow!! Smokin'.

The only solo during the night was when Dan Huff on keyboards vocalized drum rhythms and traded
2 bar solos with Vinnie. Again, Vinnie totally had something special and played the coolest fill/solos
even if just for 2 bar solos !! And of course, I have not heard Vinnie duplicate any of what I heard
that night.

That is the downside to someone with a bottomless pit of ideas (vocabulary). We all have our favorite
fills and solo ideas that Vinnie has used over the last 38 years on record, but he isn't one to stay
with one idea no matter how well it fits the music or how mind-blowing it is, he keeps finding new
ground.

Anyway, what a magical night to say the least.
drumpal

Postby drumpal » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:36 pm

jean krupa wrote:VINNIE WITH CHAKA KHAN

I was fortunate to see/hear Vinnie in December 1984 at DAR Constitution Hall, Wash DC
with Khan.

I met Vinnie in the afternoon. He was upstairs in a chair supply room with wooden chairs stacked up
and he was warming up on table tops. He went through many hand warm ups. Haslip was warming
up on bass acoustically (no speaker).

After telling Vinnie how much of a fan I was and that I had seem him in May at Zildjian Day, NYC,
he gave me 2 free tickets and a backstage pass. I indeed went back to that room after the show,
met Vinnie and then wife, Darlene, and gave them a ride to his hotel.

I will NEVER FORGET how cool Vinnie's fills were in Night in Tunisia. Never heard it played so
excitingly before. If I were Chaka and realized the scope of his talent, I would have opened that
section up ... not for a long solo, but for the unique and impromptu fills Vinnie played around
those band hits. Wow!! Smokin'.

The only solo during the night was when Dan Huff on keyboards vocalized drum rhythms and traded
2 bar solos with Vinnie. Again, Vinnie totally had something special and played the coolest fill/solos
even if just for 2 bar solos !! And of course, I have not heard Vinnie duplicate any of what I heard
that night.

That is the downside to someone with a bottomless pit of ideas (vocabulary). We all have our favorite
fills and solo ideas that Vinnie has used over the last 38 years on record, but he isn't one to stay
with one idea no matter how well it fits the music or how mind-blowing it is, he keeps finding new
ground.

Anyway, what a magical night to say the least.

Wow! That is amazing! How cool is that? Tickets, backstage pass, hanging to the point of giving him a ride back to the hotel!

Is there any audio of that show? I doubt I have anything to trade that isn't already available being that almost everything I know of is online now, but I've never come across any Vinnie with Chaka from that era other than video of him playing two songs with her on SNL (which I do have).

Thanks.
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Rodge wrote:I have a "Tampa clinic with Tim Landers 1984".

I really think that is it, Rodge. Would you happen to know if this available somewhere online? I listened to it a lot in the old days and would like to get my hands on it!

Return to “Drumming Chat”