VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Rodge

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Rodge » Mon May 30, 2022 3:53 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Thanks a lot Rodge - Love VInnie on this recording. The Diane Schuur stuff is super tasty.

De nada brother, and here at 0:25 second, Vinnie plays that "goonsh" with the china/bass drum/and floor tom, I love that sound. :-)

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:12 pm

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:42 am

Beautiful music on Tom Lane's "My Father Here", songs like "Celebrate your Love", "I Love Your Way" and "I Will" are just awesome !!!
I sent Tom a message back in the days via his website, he answered me, how nice.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:01 am

Vinnie killing that pocket

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:14 am

Geez, that Lari girl can really play that 6 strings !!! :o

My boy plays way too easy and tasty... :-)
Great sound too, a beautiful warm fat one.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:22 am

Sadly Vinnie jumps the shark on his latest podcast, endorsing and promoting COVID conspiracy theories and anti-vaxxers. You know, 'if you read the studies, they don't actually show they reduce hospitalizations' (yes they do), 'the vaccines reduce lifespans' (no, both the research and post-marketing studies do not show that), 'I know doctors that agree with all this, therefore what I am saying is correct' (weak appeals to authority, and I'm sure you do, there are quacks everywhere), 'Robert Kennedy wrote a great book on this no one can refute' (oh yeah, the guy who promotes 'vaccines cause autism' and other conspiracy theories that have been thoroughly refuted). These are people who are prone to be suspicious and untrusting of coercive public health interventions, which on one level can be empathized with, but then confirmation bias and conspiracy theorizing take their mind over and drives them to seek out information (however fallacious, and which they are not sufficiently educated or trained to properly interpret) and theories that help support their anti-coercive public health intervention stances, and to cling to grains of truth which do not represent the whole picture. And then they are lost in a web of fallacies, rather than confronting what really bothers them. And they think it's everyone else who is brainwashed, not engaged in critical thinking :roll: . Sorry Steve, if he's gonna put this BS into the public sphere, then the public will react. Understand if you delete this though.
Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:49 am

I can't believe that this is still open for debate!!! What caught my eye was...
Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:...and to cling to grains of truth which do not represent the whole picture. And then they are lost in a web of fallacies, rather than confronting what really bothers them. And they think it's everyone else who is brainwashed, not engaged in critical thinking :roll: .

Lately I've been really thinking about "truth" versus "fact". It seems that people have been espousing their "truth" claiming it as "fact". I've done a lot of research on this and basically part of it boils down to "truth" is often based on personal bias; "fact" is a reality EVERWHERE on Earth. Personal bias doesn't necessarily have to be due to one's philosophical or political viewpoint(s). Here's a (hopefully) non-controversial simplified example: "It's 90 degrees F outside." Well..that's true...my "truth" based on my time and location (my bias)...but not necessarily true for anyone else, anyplace else. So...I cannot nor should not claim it as a fact.

"Truth" versus "fact" becomes more tangled when we're emotionally attached to a belief (valid or not) on a "hotbed topic". While not perfect, I just wish people were more transparent, saying something like, "Here's what I believe" rather spreading misinformation (or downright falsehoods) as "fact".

But...here's a fact: In spite of all this, Vinnie is still one of the greatest of all time.

Steve...if you feel you need to delete Andrew's post, please delete mine as well.
When in doubt...roll.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:47 am

I'm OK with "X person said Y. Here is why I agree or disagree."
I'm not OK with getting personal or insulting each other.
So far so good.

Vinnie tweets a lot of animated gifs making fun of the president, or other stories he disagrees with. To me it's a bit disappointing but that's who he is apparently. It's very common as one gets older (respectfully).
It speaks for itself.

My take these days - generally speaking - is despite the amount of information available, it's even harder to really KNOW the specifics about any hot topic. To speak as if one KNOWS about something as complicated national or international political matters is just pretentious. To further judge, as if one knows BETTER is where the wheels really come off for me. Show some humility. It's possible one does not know all the facts.
It's fine having an opinion, but the personal attacking and mocking of authority figures because all the internet sources I surround myself with make me feel like it's ok to do so is just adolescent.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:50 am

Though not about drumming specifically, but definitely relevant from a teacher's perspective, I thought that last podcast was on point.

It reflects what I'm about and talk about all the time and the reason why I have PTSD.

Vinnie's certainly getting that mail from me about teaching now because he gets it. Very few people do.

If someone gets angry and defensive from what was expressed in that podcast, it really just proves the point. Why isn't it allowed to have a different opinion and perspective than the main stream media?

It is really a discussion around narcissism and narcissistic abuse.

The easiest thing to compare to what's been going on, regardless of what your personal choice may be which I actually respect, is the story of Ancel Keys, the cholesterol hypothesis and the way statins are still being pushed when we should know better.

The point though isn't really about being wrong or right, but being mature enough to respect other people's choices.

It's the same with teaching. I don't really care about what people are used to. I care about what actually works. I won't keep doing the old stuff when it clearly doesn't.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:30 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Why isn't it allowed to have a different opinion and perspective than the main stream media?

Some "opinions" can lead to disastrous results.

Return to “Drumming Chat”