VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Rodge

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Rodge » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Terry ALWAYS plays GREAT !!! ;-)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 pm

What's up fellas?

I'll chime in here and say that seeing Vinnie (or any great drummer) live with a band of their peers or heroes is (of course) always a privledge. I've seen him with both Jeff and Herbie SEVERAL times, both are special, and bring out a different side of Vinnie (as they would with any musician!) But when I saw him with Jeff for the first time it was probably the most special I had seen him play live since I saw the week at the Blue Note in NYC with the Chick Acoustic Band Quintet.

My third favorite was time I have seen was the Weather Report Tribute band, the reason I probably dug that was the great WR music, and the presence of some good friends of mine in the band, and the fact that Mino Cinelu was playing (one of my fave musicians ever!)

Yeah Rodge, I saw the Pattiucci band with Gary Thomas (not Tav) and Beasley in NYC and they were all TOTALLY exhausted, it was a slightly off night. I saw some west coast Spud gigs that were really loose, which is again a different "dynamic." But man those Jeff gigs, that Chick gig, and those Weather Report Tribute gigs, in that order are IT for me. But who knows what is coming next.....

Back to Beck. When I saw Vin with Jeff the first time, it was in a semi-small club, and he had me sit right next to the drums (behind Jeff's amps, hidden from everyone, thank God for earplugs!)) and I know Vin had a bunch of really old friends there that night, so maybe he was extra "geeked." But, Lord that night was something else! I was laughing in hysterics all night, it was just so over the top fantastic and (sorry Jean Krupa) VERY interactive!!!!! Vinnie asked me if I wanted to come out the next night, and I didn't think twice. I'm with Rodge here, I couldn't touch the drums for a few days, my mind had just been melted.

Many might not remember but the Jeff gig began with Pino (and vocalist Jimmy Hall,) and then Randy Hope Taylor (who was the bassist that I saw that time, he and Vinnie had a great hookup,) and vocalist Beth Hart (who killed it!), then it was Tal. When I saw it with Randy, and Beth it was all still a little "new" and really on the edge, similar to seeing him on the Soul Cages tour.

NOTHING replaces brand new music that you have NEVER EVER played, and on those nights (Beck, Chick, Weather Report Tribute) the music was bubbling (overflowing) with enthusiasm-excitement. That is all said with all due respect to one of my heroes in Herbie Hancock. However, I was there at Herbie's "River" sessions with Herbie, and THAT was something else!!!

This is the Beck band I saw, and this is the same on the edge, over the top, intensity.

Different strokes for different folks,
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:21 pm

DANG...VC is on FIRE here...his snare is MASSIVE!
I do not get Jeff Beck...at all...but Vinnie was in
beast mode here...the fire of a 23yo with the control
of a maestro.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Super tasty playing! Must have listened to this tune 5 times tonight! They hire him so he can play shit like this. His hi hat work the past 10 years is so mature and scary! The way he uses tom toms in grooves. Uses every single drum and cymbal to create this landscape of a groove that just permutates through the entire song. His playing in his 50's and 60's is stellar. Still the number one call on a session. It's a great day when you get to hear new Vinnie material.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:20 am

That JB show in Japan is REALLY incredible, the level of intensity of Vinnie during the whole show, he's really not human !!! :o
And, this is my favorite JB's 4tet here.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm

KURTIS
Could you tell me if VC is on all cuts on PIANO BY THE SEA?
Also, any straight ahead on the record?
Thnx
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:03 pm

4:59 to 5:03 just lol

Craaazy. Some very early and raw Vinnie right here.

No drums no life, know drums know life...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 pm

jean krupa wrote:Could you tell me if VC is on all cuts on PIANO BY THE SEA?

He is not. Gary Novak is on one at least, and some is programmed.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
jean krupa wrote:Could you tell me if VC is on all cuts on PIANO BY THE SEA?

He is not. Gary Novak is on one at least, and some is programmed.

According to Spotify he's on:

Human Nature (both versions)
Interstellar
Stolen Moments
Piano by the Sea

Novak on "Very Soon."
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:04 am

In regards to Jeff, he's gone through a lot of phases, an important voice. Not as consistent as one would wish, more limit than one maybe should be at this point and Tony and Jan deserve a lot of the credit for the music as well.

It's a great gig in that it represents that old improvisational attitude to rock, though. The Hendrix thing etc.. When it was really jazz, just a different, simpler vocabulary. NOt many who do or can do that these days with that spirit.

In any case, Vinnie kills that gig. One might be tired of of a song like "Cause we've ended....", but how Vinnie play that at the Crossroads show many years ago is something not many can do on that level.

Return to “Drumming Chat”