Page 203 of 210

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:01 am
by fandaz
Couple more :-

From this Album - Dan Rosenboom ‎– Absurd in the Anthropocene

https://www.discogs.com/Dan-Rosenboom-A ... e/14787462

Note for those that don't know this. The above album features on drums:
Zach Danziger (1, 2, 5, 6, 8)
Gary Novak (3, 4, 9, 11)
Vinnie Colaiuta (7, 10)

Bass -Jimmy Johnson (7, 10)

Track 7 - Apes In Rapture - 06:17 (link Below)



Track 10 - Obsidian Butterfly - 07:51 (link Below) I enjoyed this track and there's a treat for Vinnie fans, not only in the track but a solo at the end part.



Note regarding above Track from and generally fantastic review of the album https://www.jazziz.com/track-by-track-d ... hropocene/

I wrote this song on the day Chris Cornell died. Soundgarden was obviously on the brain and I wanted to write an epic anthemic elegy for that band that had meant so much to me growing up. Gavin Templeton has a really iconic baritone saxophone sound, and I wanted to write a feature for him as well. Once I knew we had the opportunity to do this with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums and Jimmy Johnson on bass, I had to call two of my favorite guitarists, Alexander Noice and Jake Vossler, to make this one just huge and heavy. And Vinnie brings it home with an insanely epic drum solo!

Around the time I wrote this, I had also been reading a little bit about Aztec deities and found this amazing character called Itzpapalotl, the Obsidian Butterfly. She is the Feminine Warrior who ruled over the paradise realm where humans were created and was the guardian of the souls of dead children. She could take the form of a fierce skeletal butterfly with jaguar claws and wings tipped with obsidian knives. Such a powerful and intense figure seemed like an obvious choice to invoke in the title. And while I have no illusions that this tune will have any impact on the crisis at our Southern border, I feel like the kids in cages could use a guardian angel…or raging, fierce butterfly!

Aubre Hill, who is a wonderfully expressive dancer, choreographed a solo dance piece to this tune, which we filmed as a single-shot Steadicam music video as well. It looks incredible and really embodies the feminine power of this character and music!

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:30 am
by bored at work
fandaz wrote:Couple more :-

From this Album - Dan Rosenboom ‎– Absurd in the Anthropocene

https://www.discogs.com/Dan-Rosenboom-A ... e/14787462

Note for those that don't know this. The above album features on drums:
Zach Danziger (1, 2, 5, 6, 8)
Gary Novak (3, 4, 9, 11)
Vinnie Colaiuta (7, 10)

Bass -Jimmy Johnson (7, 10)

Track 7 - Apes In Rapture - 06:17 (link Below)



Track 10 - Obsidian Butterfly - 07:51 (link Below) I enjoyed this track and there's a treat for Vinnie fans, not only in the track but a solo at the end part.



Note regarding above Track from and generally fantastic review of the album https://www.jazziz.com/track-by-track-d ... hropocene/

I wrote this song on the day Chris Cornell died. Soundgarden was obviously on the brain and I wanted to write an epic anthemic elegy for that band that had meant so much to me growing up. Gavin Templeton has a really iconic baritone saxophone sound, and I wanted to write a feature for him as well. Once I knew we had the opportunity to do this with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums and Jimmy Johnson on bass, I had to call two of my favorite guitarists, Alexander Noice and Jake Vossler, to make this one just huge and heavy. And Vinnie brings it home with an insanely epic drum solo!

Around the time I wrote this, I had also been reading a little bit about Aztec deities and found this amazing character called Itzpapalotl, the Obsidian Butterfly. She is the Feminine Warrior who ruled over the paradise realm where humans were created and was the guardian of the souls of dead children. She could take the form of a fierce skeletal butterfly with jaguar claws and wings tipped with obsidian knives. Such a powerful and intense figure seemed like an obvious choice to invoke in the title. And while I have no illusions that this tune will have any impact on the crisis at our Southern border, I feel like the kids in cages could use a guardian angel…or raging, fierce butterfly!

Aubre Hill, who is a wonderfully expressive dancer, choreographed a solo dance piece to this tune, which we filmed as a single-shot Steadicam music video as well. It looks incredible and really embodies the feminine power of this character and music!


Those tracks are already on the playlist.

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:08 pm
by Steve Holmes
I'm excited about your spotify playlist!

Is Jeff Beal's "Three Graces" on there?

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:41 am
by Rodge
I heard about a Zoom hang with Vinnie, Gadd, Neal Wilkinson, etc... :o
Somebody saw it ?

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 am
by bored at work
Rodge wrote:I heard about a Zoom hang with Vinnie, Gadd, Neal Wilkinson, etc... :o
Somebody saw it ?


I had a long conversation with Neal 2 days ago, Neal said it was amazing, they talked for nearly 3 hours.

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 am
by bored at work
Steve Holmes wrote:I'm excited about your spotify playlist!

Is Jeff Beal's "Three Graces" on there?


That album isn't on Spotify.

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:54 am
by Rodge
Bloody hell !!! :o

bored at work wrote:
Rodge wrote:I heard about a Zoom hang with Vinnie, Gadd, Neal Wilkinson, etc... :o
Somebody saw it ?


I had a long conversation with Neal 2 days ago, Neal said it was amazing, they talked for nearly 3 hours.

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 am
by Julián Fernández
Never seen this one before!


Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:55 am
by Rodge
Don Vincenzo Colaiuta from Brownsville/PA, untouchable !!!

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:45 am
by Steve Holmes
Julian - really? It's been around a loooooong time.
It's pretty amazing.