Carlock moves to Grestch

Randy Walker

Re: Carlock moves to Grestch

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 am

I second what Chris said, thank you Peter and Johnny D for taking the time to post on this topic
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Peter, Jim and John,
Your thoughtful and insightful posts concerning this topic are a testament to the standard that has been consistently set by the majority of members here at HOD. Thank you for setting the record straight.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 am

Hey Johnny D, so, I understand that you know a little bit about that business isn't it... :-)
Thanks for stoping by Boss, hug.

Rodge.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Well it's official, Carlock has moved to Gretsch.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=artistdetail&id=1118
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Odd how Tony Williams isn't listed under "Legendary Players". Tony has probably done more for Gretsch than anyone, yet he is noticeably absent. I'm pretty sure he had a big falling out with Gretsch near the end of his life.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:17 am

Richie Jarvis wrote:Well it's official, Carlock has moved to Gretsch.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=artistdetail&id=1118

Awesome!!

DSOP wrote:Odd how Tony Williams isn't listed under "Legendary Players". Tony has probably done more for Gretsch than anyone, yet he is noticeably absent. I'm pretty sure he had a big falling out with Gretsch near the end of his life.

Well regardless of wether Gretsch gives tony credit...The whole drumming world knows that TW=Yellow Gretsch..Even though he went to DW towards the end.
There is nothing left to say.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 am

Johnny D wrote:Ok, that’s enough from the “drum industry sheriff”. And I’m not on drugs… just really strong coffee :P

Best regards to all,

John P. DeChristopher

Appreciate the post.

To clarify, you are stating that a company like Zildjian, in no way reimburses artists on it's roster for expenses or provides services or products free of cost?

Find it hard to believe Steve Gadd went out of pocket for his meals while on a 3 month clinic tour for Zildjian.... just saying seems there is some serious splitting of hairs concerning what is "paying" someone and otherwise. Just like colleges don't pay their football players right?

Maybe you aren't writing a check for cash, but 5 digits in cymbals and sticks for free every year though, expense accounts, etc. That level of "support" is effectively paying an artist.

What about how companies charge more for "signature" products? You're saying the name sake artist of that product doesn't get even a small percentage of that?

I get royalties off some piddly dink commercial I did years ago, but I have a signature drum stick sold world wide with a company like Zildjian, and I don't get a dime from that?

More to the point, Jo Graphic Designer, in the advertising department is being paid, by the hour, to create and design the advertisement media but the actual people in the content of the advertisements aren't getting a dime? Come on...

Nothing in this world is free, and that includes using the name sake and images of famous musicians. You might be paying people with product instead of cash in most cases, but at that point it's just semantics of the word pay.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 am

DSOP wrote:Image

I can't tell from my phone, but are the tom mounts drilled directly to the shell?
Got Blushda?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:23 am

Josiah wrote:
Johnny D wrote:Ok, that’s enough from the “drum industry sheriff”. And I’m not on drugs… just really strong coffee :P

Best regards to all,

John P. DeChristopher

Appreciate the post.

To clarify, you are stating that a company like Zildjian, in no way reimburses artists on it's roster for expenses or provides services or products free of cost?

Find it hard to believe Steve Gadd went out of pocket for his meals while on a 3 month clinic tour for Zildjian.... just saying seems there is some serious splitting of hairs concerning what is "paying" someone and otherwise. Just like colleges don't pay their football players right?

Maybe you aren't writing a check for cash, but 5 digits in cymbals and sticks for free every year though, expense accounts, etc. That level of "support" is effectively paying an artist.

What about how companies charge more for "signature" products? You're saying the name sake artist of that product doesn't get even a small percentage of that?

I get royalties off some piddly dink commercial I did years ago, but I have a signature drum stick sold world wide with a company like Zildjian, and I don't get a dime from that?

More to the point, Jo Graphic Designer, in the advertising department is being paid, by the hour, to create and design the advertisement media but the actual people in the content of the advertisements aren't getting a dime? Come on...

Nothing in this world is free, and that includes using the name sake and images of famous musicians. You might be paying people with product instead of cash in most cases, but at that point it's just semantics of the word pay.

Ok Josiah, what do you want man ? Peter Erskine came in, John DeChristopher came in, what do you want to know ? Keep your thouht if you want, but come on man, I think that it's ok now.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”