New drum room/mic setup = new vid!

matthughen

Re: New drum room/mic setup = new vid!

Postby matthughen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:10 am

Wow. Great improvements in the sound, Steve.

It seems you left the camera on manual focus, which is good, but the cymbal closest to the camera is in focus while you are less so. Maybe I'm nit-picking, but when leaving a camera in a fixed position be careful to make sure the focus is where you want it. Either way, great stuff.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Thanks guys - honestly I just kept messing with mixing with garage band until I found things that worked for my ears. Some low EQ on the kick and FT are key to give them the thunder I like. I'm using a "classical warm" compression preset on the master track which makes a large difference. Adjust levels and panning, that's pretty much it. In hind sight standard panning is backwards for this vid due to the angle, I should have reversed it but whatever.

Sounds great Steve! I would just suggest that you listen back to your mix on a variety of speakers, different kinds of headphones, etc. to make sure the mix sounds good everywhere and to make sure you're not under/over compensating in the mix( your monitoring environment is one of the key elements to engineering a good mix). To my ears, the kick was a bit forward, but it could just be my personal taste. Either way, wow, what a difference! Sounding better every time...cheers
sturla

Postby sturla » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:47 am

Fantastic Steve!! The sound just have gotten much better, and more "ballsy". I really like the kick sound too, and that isn´t always the easiest thing to get a good sound from. And the playing is equally great!
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Sounds great bro, and the playing, wow! So tasty, you're soloing and I feel like I am listening to a musical piece instead of the usual shallow display of skills. Your soloing has something that captures me and few drummers do that. Im sharing on fb :D

Return to “Drumming Chat”