STYX Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight dvd

Patrick Tiglao

Re: STYX Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight dvd

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:18 am

Todd ...Im gonna try to attend your clinic in Fredericksburg VA ...
There is nothing left to say.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 pm

LOVE IT...Todd working the pad hard while everyone frills with their hair!

Drummers rule.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Patrick---

Thanks, hope you can make it. That reminds me I have a few clinics out east coming up. Dates below. Come out and say hello if anyone live in these cities.

Pocket--

Right on!

Cheers,
Todd

Wednesday Feb 15th – start time 7 pm
#1042 Greenbrier Music
721 Caroline St.
Wednesday Feb 15th -start time 7pm
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
540-850-7227

Thursday Feb 16th – start time 7pm
1501 Drums Etc
548 New Holland Ave.
Lancaster, PA 17602
717-394-3786

Friday Feb 17th – start time 7pm
1901 Volkweins Music  
138 Industry Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA 15275
412-788-5900
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Todd Sucherman wrote:Hey Juan,

There are many factors involved to properly answer your question. For one, I suffer with the inability to please myself. I can find fault with myself easily which has always been an issure for me. When I'm pleased, I'm pleased but that comes with a process at times.

Without throwing my bandmates under a bus, they have the tendency to play very "on top." Now this posses a unique issue because I can only pull back so much. It's a fine line to walk every time. I have to go with it to an extent because I find that if I'm stubborn and think, "Hey guys....it's way back HERE," the overall musical effect is that it sounds like the drummer is tired and can't keep up. So not only to I feel like an ass doing that-- I end up sounding like one too, musically speaking.

So I often feel we don't always get the fat quarter note pulse I strive for. With the other live recordings from an aesthetic point, I don't feel we've necessarily captured particularly magical nights. For whatever reason we've always recorded or filmed a single show, as opposed to recording or filming multiple nights and picking the cherry tracks from each show---as most other acts often do. It's true in this case with the new DVD that it was again only one single show filmed, which adds a certain pressure, but I think it's our best representation of what has been captured yet. In essence, it's our defining live work---finally. I can say that I'm happy with it!

Thanks for the question, Juan! I hope that made sense.

Cheers,
Todd

Having the other members play "on top" like you said right there, that's something I go through with my own bandmates, pretty much to a "t". So that comment totally hits home for me. The DVD is absolutely stellar! Phenomenal playing by all, and your drumming is inspiring as always. Beautiful and brilliant stuff!
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:01 pm

"Hey guys....it's way back HERE," the overall musical effect is that it sounds like the drummer is tired and can't
keep up. So not only to I feel like an ass doing that-- I end up sounding like one too, musically speaking.

Hey Todd...I was wondering on the playback if that's how it REALLY sounds (most or all of the time).

I know in the moment and on playback "Live" can be two different animals. Then again, does the playback
really matter when playing Live on your specific gig?

I say this because I always felt with classic rock songs, the audience has heard the tunes played anywhere from
10-200 times...and for the hard core fan, 1000's. There is a musical muscle memory that kicks in. I am like this
when I hear Kashmir. If the tempo is too fast, my internal fan clock feel awkward...but that might just be me.

With Styx, it would be Renegade. That vocal opening for me is set at the LP tempo...I've air jammed to that tune
driving at least 100x. :)

just askin'

Joe
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:04 am

Funydrummer-

Thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated!

Joe--

I'm not concerned with tempo that much. I'm concerned with the feel. We historically do something like "Too Much Time on My Hands" a few clicks under than the original, tempo wise, because I think the original is kind of "white" and robotic......and I want it to have more grease. Also, this is kind of a strange band where someone else usually begins the song. I almost never count off a song. So whatever tempo someone begins a piece, I try to keep it there. But again, I couldn't care less about tempo for the most part. It's all feel that I'm concerned with.

Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Todd
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:27 am

The trailer looks amazing.

These guys are sick live. I recall a very accomplished guitar friend who had just seen them. He just said something like, "Those guys are insane." Ive seen a number of rock bands who sound great on record, but then you hear them live and say to yourselves, "What happened?" Not this band. I've seen them live at least twice, and Todd powers the band effortlessly and groovingly (is that a word?) without one mistake--amazing musical experience.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:19 am

Review is up on blu-ray.com (with screenshots) >>>

Styx: The Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight Live in Concert is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of Eagle Vision and Eagle Rock Entertainment with an AVC encoded 1080i transfer in 1.78:1. While much of this live concert looks at least acceptable, there are several troubling artifacts that crop up with fair regularity, including posterizing (especially when the stage is bathed in blue light), banding and rampant mosquito noise, which seems to be mostly due to whatever camera is downstage right and frequently is shooting in the darkeness off to the stage left area. Moiré patterns also appear quite a bit on the projection screen behind the band. All is not bad news, however. Quite a bit of this concert looks quite sharp, with good, robust colors and some excellent fine detail in the close-ups (one kind of funny example: look at the perfectly capped teeth of several of the band members when they're singing).

Styx: The Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight Live in Concert follows Eagle Rock's standard operating procedure of offering three audio options, a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround mix, an uncompressed Linear PCM 2.0 stereo mix, and a standard lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. (Why does Eagle Rock always have the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix the third choice on the audio options when you toggle through them?) Fidelity here is excellent, with really nice clarity, especially with regard to some of the retro synth sounds and the still excellent sounding vocals of the band members. The 5.1 mix isn't overly spacious or splayed, but there's nice separation of the instruments nonetheless. Styx doesn't really layer sounds to the hyperbolic levels of some of their seventies prog rock contemporaries, and that helps what is here to shine through with precision and clarity.

Source:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Styx-The- ... 35/#Review

Return to “Drumming Chat”