Another traditional grip question.

gretsch-o-rama

Another traditional grip question.

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:30 am

I've played trad for 7 years now full time and as of recently I'm close to abandoning it. I just can't get the control out of it that I want. So my question is this: what things, maybe just one; can i do to get more control out of it? When I watch Vinnie vids it seems like he uses all thumb to control the stick and his thumb is on top. I've also seen vids of him with his index finger wrapped aroung the stick which is closer to something that I've developed because my hand relaxes that way. However, I think this thumb method would provide more control even though I haven't developed it yet. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks guys! Love ya! :)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Morgenthaler

Re: Another traditional grip question.

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:47 am

Practice. (ok, lame answer, Jeppe)

This must be the 10th time I link to this video when the subject is trad grip,
but it does (from 1:28 to 2:20) showcase the meanest, most powerful trad grip left hand out there.
Some good close ups too for inspiration and guidance.

DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 am

I don't know how anyone plays with that grip. ;)
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:45 am

Morgenthaler wrote:Practice. (ok, lame answer, Jeppe)

This must be the 10th time I link to this video when the subject is trad grip,
but it does (from 1:28 to 2:20) showcase the meanest, most powerful trad grip left hand out there.
Some good close ups too for inspiration and guidance.

That Virgil video is rock solid. He has crazy good hands.

Regarding your problem, I've never heard or seen you play but you might want to sit down with a really good traditional grip teacher and see what he might offer to you. You might not be a traditional grip player too. I've switched to traditional grip about five or six years ago and it feels really great to me. I switched because some of my idols played that way and I wanted to see how it felt too. I do enjoy the motion of the back beat that way. Check out Joe Morello's video, A natural approach to technique (its on youtube), it has some good info as to how to play that way. Jojo's dvd is probably one of the best things out there for help on hand technique. Its amazingly well done. Hope this helps.
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:46 am

That's the video I'm talking about:

Vinnie studied with him so I'm assuming there might be some good tips here and there.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:56 am

Been playing traditional grip for 27 years. It seems to always need constant assessment and adjustment, because it's easy for bad habits to develop if you're not paying attention. For example, you have to really think about the balance point of the stick; it's easy to get in the habit of moving back on the stick to get more leverage, but you lose rebound the further you move back.

I'd suggest working on multiple bounce exercises, just throwing and catching the stick. Those always seem to shore up control issues -- for matched or traditional.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 pm

DSOP wrote:I don't know how anyone plays with that grip. ;)

Nor do I. I learned trad to start and played that way exclusively for the first 4 or 5 years, then started switching back and forth with matched, then went to all matched after about 10 years. That was many years ago. Never regretted it, never been tempted to go back. Oh, except I play brushes trad - always have. Do I contradict myself? Very well then - I contradict myself.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Man, just play the grip you're the most comfortable with, it's all about being relax and comfortable.

You don't care about Vinnie, Virgil, the late giant Joe Morello or anybody else, it's all about you being comfortable with your grip.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 pm

^^ I would agree with Rodge (who has earned his trad grip stripes for sure), but would add that comfort can also come with just getting good. It's possible to practice the wrong things a lot, so it feels like you should be improving because of the amount of time you're spending. The reality is the improvement isn't happening in the way you think because you're not doing the right stuff (generally speaking, not talking about anyone in particular). Or you're not moving in any direction at all, just re-enforcing existing things.

Also playing music with musicians is a different more valuable means of practice as well. If you've played it 7 years I assume you've done a good amount of that.

What specifically are you trying to play that you're struggling with?

Also RE the Virg video, that's a good example of muscling out all the notes, I think it helps a TON to be able to do that. When it's time to pull some serious high energy phrasing with full volume that's the way to go. I also like working on the Gruber-Weck rebound approach. I find myself using both of these methods to achieve a range of volume/sound because they both have a unique sound to them. I like having options. :)
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:39 am

Well, I do really love traditional and @Steve, I'm trying to get good e's after 2 and 4 and three note groupings and more control over everything I already do. Steve, I want to get better at playing patterns like "Graphic". Yeah, I like I have some ideas after watching these vids. Thanks, guys! :)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”