IDRUM magazine

Rodge

Re: IDRUM magazine

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:23 am

By thinking music only, working his ass off behind the kit in the practice room for having total control on the instrument, then with musicians just thinking music, not drums, no lick, no I gonna do that fill, no, just natural things acoording to the music played.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:29 am

Exactly. But most drummers never get out of the practice room to play with other musicians.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:11 am

Listened to some of the interview with Mike J. He means well I guess. Kind of surprised they had him play at the Mienl festival. It's intermediate playing at best. People go to these things to be some what wowed. Nothing going on in his performance. Kind of made makes ya cringe. He seemed to be very nervous playing up on that stage. The guy is making money and having fun doing it.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:41 am

Mike has said publicly that he needs to improve his drumming to do more clinics. He simply doesn't have enough vocabulary to blow away an audience. He's not outstanding at anything and doesn't have the luxury of breaking down the things he's done on popular recordings. He's never played on anything popular. The biggest gig he's done was playing percussion with Filter.
I think he's a good drummer and I like his free lessons but there's no way I'd pay to see him in a clinic. I think what he's done is impressive and wish him the best but he's not THAT good.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

I don't really have an issue with Mike's lessons. I could do without the razzle dazzle graphics and used car salesman approach, but I can get something out of them. I do think that his lessons are a bit one sided and are usually lick specific while Steve's lessons are more conceptual. Granted, Steve has more professional experience so where he is coming from seems a bit deeper. I like his setup, and I think his kit usually sounds pretty good. He is younger than me and he is doing something he enjoys. If anyone of us had the means and the opprtunity, it might've been one of us instead of him
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:22 am

Paul Marangoni wrote: Most drummers are too busy rehearsing, recording, or gigging, or traveling to create videos for sharing.

Not sure about this... Almond has some of the best stuff out there (and the blog is just as great). Max Sansalone too... Thomas Lang has some kind of school going on...
I guess we´ll see it more and more (as almost everyone is offering remote session)
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:02 am

A man named GAVIN HARRISON is on the new IDRUM edition:

http://magazine2.idrummag.com/issue12/page/1
Juan Expósito

Re: IDRUM magazine - GAVIN

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Gavin, what is your thought about using a drum riser in the studio ?

Excellent video/interview !!
Gavin can make a video about gear/brands to be funny and informative (last video).
I didn´t know about your elbow problem.
I´m glad it moved out.

Thanks Gavin !!
Juan Expósito

Re: IDRUM magazine - GAVIN HARRISON

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 am

I did the "drum riser" question to Gavin on Drummerworld forum.

Gavin´s answer:
"It's just so I can move the kit around my room for a different sound - and closer or further away from my live room where I have separate mics set up to catch the
ambiance."
Juan Expósito

Re: IDRUM magazine - GAVIN HARRISON

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:11 am

The edition that everyone was waiting for:

http://magazine2.idrummag.com/issue14/page/1

Return to “Drumming Chat”