Juan Expósito

IDRUM magazine

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:32 am

Last edition with Gavin:
http://magazine2.idrummag.com/issue12/page/1
Past post/edition:
http://magazine2.idrummag.com/drum-maga ... ue7/page/1

Great Todd´s interview: text and video.
The magazine was great but it has improved edition after edition !!
Congratulations again.
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
moose

Re: IDRUM magazine - Todd Sucherman and more...

Postby moose » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:38 am

The content is great, but the user experience is awful.
drummerjeff

Re: IDRUM magazine - Todd Sucherman and more...

Postby drummerjeff » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 am

I agree, very well done and obviously a lot of work into it.....but why make it in a magazine format for the web????? if it's for the internet...make it in that format. When viewing now, it only occupies 1/4 of my screen, it really makes no sense at all. I can't figure out any possible plus side to offering it in their current format.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:36 am

Not a big deal...I do recall on one issue enlarging the video performance and not being able
to get back to the "small" view.

The interview w/Todd was excellent...very bright lad...so "not a rocker" as I find when the lights
are dimmed w/many. He's a real gentleman and first-class kinda guy.

I think they want to present an online magazine in the truest sense. The video content is amazing
and has brought drum mags to the 21st century. How many times in the past reading MD would I have
loved to hear the interview and see a performance? Every time! Oh how I would have loved to
hear the audio from the 1990 LA Roundtable issue. That audio is in the tank somewhere...they had
to record those interviews right? Release that stuff and I will line up to buy.

http://www.toto-music.net/jeff_tribute/prasa/prasa15.php

Goodie Grabber...
RF: During a recent interview with Alex Acuna, he said that no one is ready for their first session.
I'd love for all of you to recall your first session, what you were met with, and what you found out--
what awarenesses and insights. Mike, why don't we start with you.

RF: Jeff? [my edit: note how long it took Jeff to answer...laying in the pocket listening to everyone else]

JEFF: My first session was with Keltner with Jack Dougherty. It was a rehearsal band, and Hal Blaine
was the drummer, and then the contractor called to see if I wanted to do the rehearsal band on Saturdays.
I did about five of them. I knew they were planning to do a record, and they stopped calling me for rehearsals,
so I figured they were going to use a studio guy for the album. Then Dougherty called me and asked if I
had ever heard of a drummer named Keltner. At that time, my biggest heroes were Keltner and Gordon.
I said yes, and he said, "He just got off the road with Joe Cocker, and you and he are going to do the rehearsal
band for a couple of weeks. So we rehearsed a couple of times before the session. I was 17 and didn't even
have my driver's license, so my mom drove me to the session at A&M. I borrowed my dad's black diamond
pearl Ludwig set, which was just like Keltner's, because I wanted to be just like him: I wore a vest like Jim Keltner,
I tried to get the heaviest boots I could, because like everyone else has said, you just wanted to emulate your
heroes. Just before I got through the door, I was so nervous, I threw up right in the corner. That God the tune
was this uptempo samba, because my stick was going so fast. I remember Jim sits down next to me, and he looks
over to me and says, "Man, do you read?" I go, "No," and he said, "I don't read that good either, you do the fills and
I'll just keep time." I'm going "Right!"
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Juan Expósito

Re: IDRUM magazine

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon May 14, 2012 7:11 am

Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 am

Last edited by Juan Expósito on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 am

So, can somebody can tell me why that M. Johnson guy get so much attention ? Just because he has a lot of view on Youtube ?
Or maybe we should not talk about that guy...

PS : when I saw this on Facebook I was about to post my thoughts, then as I like Ian Croft, I don't want to go there, but still... :| :| :|
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 am

Rodge wrote:So, can somebody can tell me why that M. Johnson guy get so much attention?

My best guess is that he devotes 100% of his time to creating video content that drummers want and enjoy, and is pretty inexpensive. Most drummers are too busy rehearsing, recording, or gigging, or traveling to create videos for sharing.

Not only that, but you really need the right facility and equipment to do these things quickly, simply and easily. Mike took the chance, and went for it. He's set up in a relatively small town where the cost of living is lower than it would be in a large city.

As recording, performing and other income generating opportunities for professional drummers continue to diminish, I expect to see more online drum instruction offerings from higher levels of musicians (and not just drummers).
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 am

Yeah, I could like his action if I did not know that he's...

I really can't be moved by "just" a good/great drummer, I want some musicians playing the drums, not some drummers playing the drums, I will alway respect the work done behind the kit though.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:06 am

Rodge wrote:I really can't be moved by "just" a good/great drummer, I want some musicians playing the drums, not some drummers playing the drums

I think there are less and less well-rounded musicians now, simply because there are fewer opportunities for musicians, with ever more musicians competing for the few opportunities that are left. The days of earning a living playing live music 6 nights a week, four sets a night, are over (for most of us). And really, performing live, in front of an audience, will develop a certain aspect of your playing that cannot be developed any other way. Just like playing drums in the recording studio develops certain skills unique to that situation.

So how does someone become a better "musician"? By playing with better musicians. Easier said than done I think.

Return to “Drumming Chat”