GH "The Man Who Sold Himself"

Kurtis

GH "The Man Who Sold Himself"

Postby Kurtis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:28 pm

WOW! I love this new album. Have been looking forward to this new album for a while. Saw the tease on Gavine's FB page months back. Body Temple, nice. so different from the other tunes. Wherewithal. Bizzare! I just love it! Awake. Want to hear more tunes like that. Felt like a Porcupine Tree Gavine Drum part. Someone needs to transcribe this album, Start with Illusions. 5.1 MIX!!!!!!! Some of the tunes i can't deal but still love it. It's like Zappa meets no one.

For those that are very familiar with his playing you will love it. For those that have not followed his career i feel should get it. I've heard all he's done. old and very new. He's got an amazing sense of time. His spacing is prefect. He can play ahead/mid/back of the quarter note. His phrasings are always entertaining. That's what i like most. Great drum sound. You can hear every ghost note he plays on every recording he's done. Been listening to a lot of Deadwing, Fear, Nil and Absentia and CIRCLES as of late. Revisiting that stuff makes you appreciate a great drummer.

Been playing it in the car, home, work, prepping dinner with ear buds in place you name it. Get da new O5RIC. It's a great listening album music wise. Just not sure about lyrically. Still new to me. I could set up links but everyone here kind of knows how to acquire it minus the internet friendly click this blue highlighted URL. If i had only made the words "click this blue highlighted URL" blue. next time

Go Gets It!

FYI... Cheating the Polygraph is not in 7?8 in the main verse.... more to come in this matter. i have very sold proof it's not.
Clint Hopkins

Re: GH "The Man Who Sold Himself"

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Been thinking about getting this one. Thanks for the review.

HERE is the topic where I posted Gavin's transcription of 'Cheating the Polygraph'. I hear it in 7 but I'm anxious to hear your proof.
Last edited by Clint Hopkins on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Branam

Postby Terry Branam » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Kurtis wrote: Someone needs to transcribe this album

I agree!! :mrgreen:

Kurtis wrote:
FYI... Cheating the Polygraph is not in 7?8 in the main verse.... more to come in this matter. i have very sold proof it's not.

Ha ha. You're killin' me, man!!

In all seriousness, this is a great record. Love it! Gavin and Ric's concept is getting stronger each album. Been listening to it pretty much non stop!

Terry
Check out my app PERFECT RHYTHM on the App store!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 pm

How cool would it be to see these guys play this music live! It's just two guys. They come up with some great stuff. Hire some musicians to play the other instruments. It's never going to happen. But if they could play a few dates, record it and release it on blue ray. I would buy 10 copies just out of spite. A RicO5 concert DVD would be just what everyone would buy in the millions. It's such creative stuff. Its on my wish list of things that could happen. The stuff going on drum wise is so hip.
Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 am

Hi Kurtis

be careful what you wish for. Live dates are planned for this summer in the UK. I'm not sure a live DVD would sell millions though :-)

cheers
Gavin

Return to “Drumming Chat”