Vinnie spots the camera...

Old Pit Guy

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks the re-link. I watched it again and the faces he makes remind me a lot of how my dad would try to scare me when I was around eight years young.

It still scares me.
james

Postby james » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:38 pm

any chance he was just having fun with the guy?
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:43 pm

I remember doing something similar during a show. I was making goofy faces and clowning around on stage (which I later regretted and felt it was unprofessional).

I was in Junior High. The band director's wife told me she was disappointed by my conduct after the show.

:|
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:25 am

Those cymbals do sound Paiste'ish to me. The ride-bell has a much darker/lower tone and the crashes are quite 'thin'. Interesting.
sturla

Postby sturla » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:58 am

james wrote:any chance he was just having fun with the guy?

No, I don´t think so at all. That wasn´t fun to watch either. For me it is obvious that this did piss of Vinnie. And it was almost like Vinnie tried to make a stare contest with the guy filming, as to say "it isn´t cool to stare people to death" and take a hint!

I could be wrong (it´s been known to happen :o ) but to me it comes out like this.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 am

Of course Vinnie was pissed off...no doubt about it.
S.P

Postby S.P » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:56 am

Thanks for posting the re-posted video, amoergosum. I felt that by starting back at the guy and making faces, Vinnie was trying to make the cameraman feel awkward just as he feels when people are "staring" at him/focusing on him using cameras. He was obviously trying to show that he does not feel comfortable with it and doesn't like it, perhaps even hinting he feels like some sort of circus freak (from the faces he was pulling back). It's quite possible that Vinnie himself doesn't comprehend how he is perceived as this most revered being in the world of drumming. He probably just feels he's a good drummer but nothing that people should as crazy as they do about.

The thing is that when playing big arenas and even just being in the spotlight like that as an artist, it's ridiculous to try and control and get upset about every person that is holding a camera. For his own inner peace he should maybe try and come to terms with it. That doesn't mean he has to like it, but at least be at peace with it so he can be in the moment and enjoy the thing he loves to do which is play great music with the greatest musicians in the world, earn lots of exposure and on top of that make a very nice living out of it.
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:16 am

S.P. you nailed it imho.

But I don't get all this taking stuff for granted. You don't have to put up with everything just because there is a tsunami of camera's. In a way it is kinda sick. People don't seem to be 'in the moment' but filming everything to have some kind of proof they actually are alive. Filming is not bad but shoving a cam in someone's face is.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 am

The camera/youtube thing has turned it all around. Used to be, you had to be able to nail your shit in the studio, but live, you could get away with not being so on. Now, with protools, it's the exact opposite. You can totally suck in the studio and have it come out sounding pretty decent, but you'd better be on your game live, because that shit's being posted in real time. Oh, how the times... they do change.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:43 am

I think it's pretty simple... never mind it being arguably one of the biggest gigs in the world.

If you don't want people looking at you, video, pictures, whatever, then why are you on a stage under the spot lights?

Return to “Drumming Chat”