Vinnie spots the camera...

DSOP
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:35 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby DSOP » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:51 am

I'm amazed that the guy shooting the video wasn't removed from the building by security. If someone tried shooting video from the front row at a Van Halen concert in 1979 they would have had their camcorder smashed to bits and their face caved in by security. Some things are meant to be enjoyed in the moment and not captured for eternal replay. Otherwise the artist has no control over the re-use of their work, and no way of stopping others from profiting from it (monetarily, socially or otherwise).
User avatar
Cymbalfeltfetishist
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:14 am

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Even tho I realize there is nothing can really do about it nowadays, Vinnie came up in an era where all this video taping wasn't happening at the immense level it is now. And it's been, what...the last 5 years or so where all phones have video capability.....so he goes from the mid-late 70's all the way up until somewhere in the 2000's where this was (relatively) controllable (yes, I know there are "bootleg" video's out there of him etc etc)...then all of a sudden....BAM....people are taping all over the place. Some of you are saying he has to like it. He doesn't have to fucking like any of it. I can kind of see where he is coming from.

But there is no stopping it whatsoever, to his peril.

And it's probably not just taping HIM...but the whole thing where you can get everything for free. For a guy that makes a living at music, I can see where this whole thing might piss him off. Does he need to relax a little? Maybe. There is always going to be the old-school hold-out guys. So he doesn't like it.....it's not how I would react necessarily, but I get why he does.
Josiah
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby Josiah » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:23 am

Genius at music does not equal genius at PR. Drawing attention to the very thing you don't want happening doesn't help your case. This thread is a prime example of why.


Failure = Being in the spotlight and complaining about how bright it is.
Rodge
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:42 am
Location: Bordeaux/France.
Contact:

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby Rodge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:44 am

Vinnie is not complaining to be under the sun, he worked hard for being there, he hates being recorded when it's forbiden by the law, it's as simple than that. Maybe its hard to understand for us, but as we're not on his planet well...
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
old_K_ride
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:05 am

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby old_K_ride » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:00 am

maybe he took his cue from Tony who'd go off if you photographed him using a flash...
old_K_ride
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:05 am

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby old_K_ride » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 am

Kurtis wrote:
how can anyone who plays zilds almost their entire life switch!? zilds are the best cymbals on the planet. everyone knows this. just accept that fact.


I'm not famous by any stretch but Zildjian lost me long ago when everything they began making weighed as much as a manhole cover or sounded like a 70's Zilco.
I sought and found refuge in Paiste.
drum6282
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:48 am

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby drum6282 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:02 am

With a name like Old K Ride, I'm sure you're on cymbalholic, if not - check it out...have you read about the new Zs that have come out recently? The new K Custom Complex Dark Ride actually sounds like Gadds old K ride from the 70s for real - not like the man hole cover session rides...which I owned the 20" version - went with the 21" Custom Dark Complex - so far so good and I think I'm out of that honeymoon period - played it in every situation I work and love it - trio acoustic jazz to classic rock covers to fusion project - most diverse cymbal I've owned and I think I've bought and sold almost every modern Zildjian K & K Custom ride...The new K Con Renaissance ride is great - just not as diverse with it not cutting enough for louder gigs.

The Dark Complex is around 2300-2500gs depending on 21" or 22".
DSOP
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:35 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby DSOP » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:52 am

drum6282 wrote:have you read about the new Zs that have come out recently?


Not only Zildjian. There are so many great cymbals from so many different companies right now that it's cymbal heaven. :mrgreen:
Josiah
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby Josiah » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:03 am

Rodge wrote:Vinnie is not complaining to be under the sun, he worked hard for being there, he hates being recorded when it's forbiden by the law, it's as simple than that.


Only if you live in a magical non-existent world where the law is all that matters and is absolute.

The failure comes in equating the "law" with reality. They are very different realms. Law is an abstract and arbitrarily enforced realm that has incredible amounts of contradictions with in it. Reality is humans will do what humans want to do. It's THAT simple. Anyone who's ever driven a car for 15 minutes knows that the "law" has little to do with peoples actions...

While he may be 110% in the right in the eyes of the law. The Reality is very different. You are famous. Everyone has camera's now. To assume because something is illegal, it won't happen, is just being obtuse. Particularly given the ease of audio/visual recording as technology has ramped up.
User avatar
groober
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby groober » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:43 am

Josiah wrote:
Rodge wrote:Vinnie is not complaining to be under the sun, he worked hard for being there, he hates being recorded when it's forbiden by the law, it's as simple than that.


Only if you live in a magical non-existent world where the law is all that matters and is absolute.

The failure comes in equating the "law" with reality. They are very different realms. Law is an abstract and arbitrarily enforced realm that has incredible amounts of contradictions with in it. Reality is humans will do what humans want to do. It's THAT simple. Anyone who's ever driven a car for 15 minutes knows that the "law" has little to do with peoples actions...

While he may be 110% in the right in the eyes of the law. The Reality is very different. You are famous. Everyone has camera's now. To assume because something is illegal, it won't happen, is just being obtuse. Particularly given the ease of audio/visual recording as technology has ramped up.


So where do you stand on rape, murder and incest ? They all happen all the time. They are reality... I just don't think your argument stands up.
Besides who the heck are we to judge ? Sometimes you have to decide wether to stand by your convictions even if they cost you personally and professionally.

Return to “Drumming Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 20 guests