Vinnie spots the camera...

matthughen

Re: Vinnie spots the camera...

Postby matthughen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Niles wrote:I'll admit that I've dug all of the bootleg Vinnie vids over the years, but if he doesn't like to be taped, then I'd leave the camera at home...
THAT is an interesting point. Some argue that there is difference between whether Vinnie knows or does not know. I am not so sure that the ethical distinction is important in regards to the act of taping. I could have never held up a camera and it is a dick move, but I am glad to view it.

If anyone cares I am interested in which part is most offensive. Taping/filming at all? Taping/filming in an open obvious way? Sharing the evidence in clear violation of Vinnie's intent?
Niles

Postby Niles » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:16 pm

I think sharing the evidence in clear violation is most offensive - disrespectful..

On anther note, I don't care what his reasons are, but the last thing I'd want to do is piss off the performers while I'm trying to enjoy the music. I'm not saying that Vinnie handled it well, but I wouldn't put him in that spot to begin with.

Also, I'm wondering if the venue explicitly had notices about no videotaping...
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Niles, if sharing in clear violation of Vinnie's intent is bad, is viewing, discussing and propagating the same material less bad? Slippery slope I guess.

I did notice they guy made the youtube video "non public." Did he do this to hide it from the forces of Vinnie that take down youtube stuff? He must have discovered/realized his actions were controversial? This whole thing is fascinating on a sociological level too.
Last edited by matthughen on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:31 pm

It's his whatever, but it's a stark contrast coming from a guy who used to climb into plexiglass booths at NAMM with 30 guys staring at him clicking still cameras and rolling tape.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:42 pm

matthughen wrote:He must have discovered/realized his actions were controversial?

I guess he read the YouTube comments.
Niles

Postby Niles » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:55 pm

matthughen wrote:Niles, if sharing in clear violation of Vinnie's intent is bad, is viewing, discussing and propagating the same material less bad? Slippery slope I guess.

I did notice they guy made the youtube video "non public." Did he do this to hide it from the forces of Vinnie that take down youtube stuff? He must have discovered/realized his actions were controversial? This whole thing is fascinating on a sociological level too.

Yes, slippery slope... I'm not going to stop watching Vinnie videos - but I'm also not going to be responsible for any new ones, either...

Old Pit Guy wrote:It's his whatever, but it's a stark contrast coming from a guy who used to climb into plexiglass booths at NAMM with 30 guys staring at him clicking still cameras and rolling tape.

I think NAMM is a very different thing, than a live (musical) performance.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Looks like the Zildjian link is off his webpage too -
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Looks like the Zildjian link is off his webpage too

i sense a trend. first gretch now zildy. maybe the person who runs his site is messing with you guys. before you know it you will read an article of how much he loves zildy town. then the logos a week or two from now appear. maybe they are prototypes. you see pro guys playing their prototypes from time to time. guess they are made pretty special.

it be really weird seeing him play another brand cymbal. doesn't matter cause he sounds great. how can anyone who plays zilds almost their entire life switch!? zilds are the best cymbals on the planet. everyone knows this. just accept that fact.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:34 pm

He's been experimenting with Paiste for a bit I heard. I assume those are some of those.
Spagnuolo

Postby Spagnuolo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Guys... i taped Vinnie AFTER the herbie show in Buffalo... he went right on the bus after the show but herbie came by shook hands signed autographs etc... i gave herbie a sign that said "Colaiuta" in the gretsch symbol and asked if he could give to Vinnie and come out... on the back of sign i just put 2 guys names who are friends of mine and of vinnies from toronto on the back saying to say hi... he came out sigend whole bunch of autos.. took pics shook hands... i videotaped him with my phone asking him to say hi to all the canadian italian drummers he was laughing and said "hi to all the Canadian Italians my goombas..." then he took pic w me and my bro and also i asked him where he was from in italy (abbruzzo) :) same as us... etc etc he was great! i think he gets pissed when taped playing i guess?????? there were about 20 of us chanting his name at the end he was really genuine! i posted this vid on here a while back aug 2010ish everyone in the line got a pic that night!

Return to “Drumming Chat”