iPhone and Drummers

sejuba

iPhone and Drummers

Postby sejuba » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm totally new to the smart phone world and it would be cool if the experienced users/drummers would chime in and
tell about their personal experiences with these types of phones as I'm about to buy one. I just wanna have
a device that can do it all (hence the desire for a new phone).

I have a couple questions:

1 - Was the last HOD video shot with an iPhone 4s ?

2- What kind of (useful) music apps are you guys using on your smart phone ?

3- I find the iPhone very expensive. Won't other cheaper phones have the same/similar/equally as good music apps ?

4- What other killer non music apps are you guys using ? (i know, this is not a computer forum... sorry)
Matus

Re: iPhone and Drummers

Postby Matus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:02 am

Well, I got an Iphone mainly because I work on Mac and I liked the 4 version with the new software.
I'm using Tempo Advance (like other forumers) and that's pretty much it. For other applications I'm using bank related ones and Instagram and Dermandar for pictures. I'm also getting a good text program so I can create/modify/send text files.
It's pretty smooth, actually. I got tired of my blackberry hardware screwing up.
I guess you can do pretty much everything on an Android based phone, too.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:29 am

I highly recommend the Iphone.
It´s an EXCELLENT AND USEFUL machine.
But, you have to forget the battery working time you have with the "no smart phones", specially if you are going to use internet very often or music apps...
I will give some more apps advices later, but for now I recommend you to buy 4-5 chargers:

- two for home (one fixed to the computer and one for the wall)
- one for the car.
- one for your working place.
- one for your sticks bag.

They are cheap and "will save your life" more than once.
sturla

Postby sturla » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:43 am

Like Matus I absolutely love using the Tempo Advance. Being able to have set lists with various bands and projects I play in and rearranging the order of it is quite quick and easy.

Juan do indeed have a point about battery capabilites and having to charge the smart phone every day. So some extra chargers at hand makes it a smoother experience.

Just having a GPS and map inside your iPhone is such a nice thing when driving to gigs and cities you are not known is also very handy - just to get there and know where you are in unfamiliar places.

Other than that it is such an intuitive and addictive piece of machinery that is hard to live without once you get inside of its little wonders.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:24 am

I'd like to not-so-humbly add my iOS app, PolyNome, to the pile. It's ideal for drummers, or really any serious musician, looking to work on moving between subdivisions and trying to learn to hear different rhythms move over each other. I developed it in conjunction with UK drummer Joe Crabtree, and the site has quite a few videos he's made demoing its various features.

We're definitely filling a niche and have had some great feedback: Peter Erskine has been using it in clinics and with his classes at USC, Cliff Almond is into it for his practice routine, as is Will Lee, and a direct Dennis Chambers quote: "It's the shit." Weckl used it last month to prep for a gig in Turkey where he needed to play a bunch of tunes in 9.

As for expense: In the US, I believe the entry-level iPhone 3GS is free right now (with a 2-year contract), and the iPhone 4 is $99 ... if you can hang out until the summer when the next model is released, the 3GS will likely disappear and the 4 drop to $0 w/ contract.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 pm

I checked Tempo Advance on youtube. Its super nice !

I found these too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSGz-ydr ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXb3Va7X ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p609Tn_ ... re=related

Matus wrote:Well, I got an Iphone mainly because I work on Mac and I liked the 4 version with the new software.
I'm using Tempo Advance (like other forumers) and that's pretty much it. For other applications I'm using bank related ones and Instagram and Dermandar for pictures. I'm also getting a good text program so I can create/modify/send text files.
It's pretty smooth, actually. I got tired of my blackberry hardware screwing up.
I guess you can do pretty much everything on an Android based phone, too.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Juan Expósito wrote:I highly recommend the Iphone.
But, you have to forget the battery working time you have with the "no smart phones", specially if you are going to use internet very often or music apps...
I will give some more apps advices later, but for now I recommend you to buy 4-5 chargers:

- one for the car.

So true Juan, but they are not that cheap though.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 pm

hell with the phone. get yourself an ipad. i just got the ipad 3 today. or as they call they call it the new ipad. shoots HD video. i'm going to take it to a sting concert, get front row and zoom it right in on vinnie!
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Rodge wrote:
Juan Expósito wrote:I highly recommend the Iphone.

- one for the car.

So true Juan, but they are not that cheap though.

As I remember, I´ve found my chargers for 10 euros aprox each aprox., but it´s easy to see them for 30-40 euros (some expensive models or shops).
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:10 pm

10€, tell me where please !!! :o

In France it's more about 25/30€ here...
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”