Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

DSOP

Re: Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

Postby DSOP » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Paiste's offerings are VERY different from pretty much anyone else's. You can easily compare Sabian with Zildjian with Istanbul with Bosphorous, but Paiste, they're something else entirely. Like them or not, they're very different.
Tom Hipskind

Postby Tom Hipskind » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:
Pocketplayer wrote:..his style dictated this, but the equipment made it happen.

The equipment "made it happen?"

Part of the reason why I don't think this is as big a deal generally is because these guys can play on any of the big 3 cymbals and it will all. sound.fine. Jeff would have sounded like Jeff on Zildjians. Vinnie will sound like Vinnie with Paiste. Let's not get carried away.

Normally it comes down to what the artist prefers in terms of sound, but in the AAA level there's other factors. Personal interactions, relationship not where you want them and all the sudden brand B starts looking real good. It's people being people. :)

Steve, I totally agree. As much as I always felt Paiste is "not Vinnie's sound", that's really up to HIM to decide. It's a free country. It was probably a conscious choice on his part to try a new sound that's really quite different from what he's been used to all these years.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 pm

This is still a pretty big shakeup in the industry.

Vinnie had everyone buying A Customs. If they push him hard, they could certainly take some market share.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Jeff Porcaro used Zildjian K/Z hats on a lot of recordings. In MD he said they were his favorites. It would be hilarious if his signature Paiste sound were actual Zildjians.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Doesn't that cut both ways?
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 pm

OK. Whatever reasons are whatever reasons.

If Vince comes out with a "signature" Paiste line, or whatever you want to call the equivalent of the A customs, some new line he helped create... then you know exactly what's up.

Though it's pretty amazing Zildjian wouldn't do whatever they needed to keep him.

Drum industry be all shaken and breaking...

For my money, when you watch a player, as good as Vince is, be so integral to building a companies main line. Then moving without any decent public information from either company. That just screams something is amiss. I sure hope big V is getting royalties off the A Custom's.... lord knows they offered something spectacular to bring him over to Paiste.

You just know they are throwing a party over it. And the guest of honor, is the guy who landed the deal.

Here come the massive glossy ad's in MD for Paiste/Vinnie.....
sturla

Postby sturla » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:25 am

I remember I once asked Simon Phillips why his cymbal sound on the track "The Golden Road" sounded differently to the rest of the "There and Back" CD with Jeff Beck, and he said it was that the track was recorded at a different time, and he was experimenting and using Paiste for that track.
I strongly believe it is a matter of all things combined - that they are all important to various degrees; the way one plays is obviously very very important, but also the cymbal itself plays a role, and of course how it is recorded, processed, compressed, the room and what have you not....

I also have heard Jeffrey used Zildjians on a lot of recordings. But some of those shimmers and long decaying sweet bright sounding crashes, they are unmistakably Paiste´s!!

It is a big blow for Zildjian. No doubt about that. But I will look forward to hearing what Paiste will be like with Vinnie and if there will be some more special collaborations in some new cymbal line. That will be interesting.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:51 am

I'm sure Jeff is using Zildjian on maybe the 1st 3 Toto album and all the sessions at that time, and when I saw him for the 1st time, during The Seventh One Tour he was using at least one K Dark Crash.
But still, his cymbals trademark sound was Paiste definitely.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:43 am

Jeff is using Zildjian in the Toto clip of Pamela below.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7T6kW0j ... ata_player

Sorry but I am on the iPad no where near a pc.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:26 am

It's a blow to Zildjian, but I don't think it's as big of a blow as some of you all are making it out to be. We also don't know the facts, so the personal jabs at the guys from Zildjian - who generously post here sometimes - are way out of line. Maybe he wanted a different sound all together and that's all..who knows?

This is a test to my brand loyalty because I'm such a Vinnie nut, but have found that I don't really have any interest in Paiste - not even because of Vinnie. Steve Jordan actually makes me more interested in Paiste than the Paiste's in the Sting vids Vinnie plays.

Return to “Drumming Chat”