Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:38 pm

it took effort to watch that whole thing. 7 minutes of talking about cymbals? Internet ADD on line 1.

Vinnie switching to Paiste in interesting for sure. He's been with Zildjian for a long time and it's all very unexpected. There are some things I personally find important to keep in mind in a situation like this:

- Outside of those truly on the inside, no one will every know why this happened. I would venture to say it's more than being impressed with Hagen Daz ice cream after eating Ben and Jerry's for so long. Personal relationships, politics, identity, a lot of deep things are playing apart here. These are the things we'll never hear about. I mention this because sometimes people think they KNOW what happens with something this popular and it gets annoying reading people stating things matter-of-fact when they don't know WTF.
- Making music is such a personal thing and if you're serious about it, I would encourage folks to investigate what's out there. We're all influenced by our heroes, but before <big name drummer> switched to <other name company> all products out in the world sounded the way they sound before and after <big name drummer> switches. Right now, Sabians sound like Sabians, Zildjians sound like Zildjians, and Paiste sound like Paiste. Go out and make an informed decision on what you want to sound like when you play drums. They all sound great but have enough difference between them to allow for preference. I Love my setup and have a particular agenda when it comes to my cymbals and drums (Zildjian, Yamaha's).
- When you get to the AAA level of artists, there's more to consider other than how good something sounds. This is almost more of a burden because it's possible a drum or cymbal company sounds great but can't meet the needs of a monster AAA guy in the way they want. Those of us not touring stadiums have the luxury of leaning more on what sounds good, not the fact that the guy from the drumstick company is flaky with getting back to me. Of course I would rather tour stadiums and have those kind of problems right? (Not always).

Anyways it's been an interesting show since the rumors have started and it seems like it's coming to an end now. Good times.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 pm

My inspiration meter slightly twitched once when I realized how little time and energy he spends keeping up with gear. The GAS crowd will not be impressed.

Otherwise, that was generally a snooze fest. "For me."
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I disagree.

I am not a major VInniephile, but I find his observations to be spot on.

Everyone , at the higher end, makes great stuff, but I've thought similarly about the Traditional, and Dark Energy series. Those and a set of 602s have been in my cymbal bags for a while now.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 pm

What are you disagreeing with? No matter, never mind :)
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:03 pm

these new 602's do sound pretty good. can't go wrong with zilds, piaste or sabians. the rest of the bunch just don't cut it.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:14 pm

In that video...Vinnie touched on nearly every "talking point" we learned before giving Paiste cymbal clinics back in the 80s. I guess it takes some a while before they really "hear it".

It's all true, by the way...the musicality across the different lines when you mix them, the consistency...etc. It works to have 2002s mixed with 602s, Rude, Twenty, etc, in regards to the sound colors "cooperating" with each other.

I have moved on to sell business supplies, however...
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Kurtis wrote:these new 602's do sound pretty good. can't go wrong with zilds, piaste or sabians. the rest of the bunch just don't cut it.

UFIP, Bosphorus, Istanbul (Mehmet/Agop)
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:40 pm

i think the intro would've been better w/ him playing w/ the various lines of cymbals while explaining why he liked it. much like the video he did for the A-customs back in the day.

basically it sounded like Vinnie having to explain to us why he chose PAISTE. I for one do not think Vinnie needs to explain himself to anyone. of course it is marketing that he had to succumb to. :|

on a side note - i started hearing Christopher Walken at the start of this vid and could not stop laughing. that is not a mockery. just a strange / weird non-sequitur that is me. . .
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Trust me, this was simply because of the cymbals, and how they sound/feel. Politics did not play a part. I'll leave it at that.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Paiste, give us a REAL PRO-SHOT PROMO VIDEO with VINNIE playing.
Ok, Ludwig too !!
Everytime I´ve had the chance to play Paistes...I love them !!
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”