Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

drum6282

Re: Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

Postby drum6282 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 pm

While I love his drumming - my respect for him as a whole has really gone downhill over the past year - from sneaking out of another door so I couldn't get a picture with him after a Herbie concert to acting crazy about being filmed - he's just giving off this bad vibe overall - doesn't seem to be like the easiest going person - not really someone to look up to other than for drumming. Most drummers at the elite level are so approachable, nice and genuine people - I wonder what happened to make him like this? Weird. I'm not going to go play 602s because he is - just like I didn't play giant beats or 2002s because Bonham did -

Maybe if he'd stop playing all that cool shit on top of Seven Days and throwing Sting out of time, people would stop filming him. Just a thought Vinnie...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Nuff said. :mrgreen:

groober

Postby groober » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:23 am

Vinnie might not want to do the hand thing or have his photo taken with some guy he doesn't know, or he might have other things to do. It's not obligatory. He's not some industrial product that turns out the same every time. He's a human being. Don't expect ... + he is an artist, an awesome artist, they have temperaments, they tread paths that others don't. And .....Vinnie = COOL

just a thought
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:32 am

Groober, unfortunately that argument reminds me of the early '90's Seattle scene. Nirvana and Pearl Jam and the like dissing fame and notoriety. You cant play music for a living on a big scale such as PJ, Nirvana, Sting, ETC and then decide you want to be a private introspective person. If you dont want people to want a piece of you in some way shape or form, why did you sign on the dotted line? Vinnie, and the other artists I mentioned are not the first rock stars ever. The trade off in modern times is that if you want to live out your dreams as a musician with notoriety, someone will film you. Someone will want your autograph, someone will just want a kind word from their hero. Vinnie is in a bit of a unique situation because im sure not every person that buys a ticket to see Sting is there to see him. Nor does everyone who listens to the radio or radio type thing care who the drummer is on ____'s new song. I also do not like that Vinnie for a while was all about his new found christian beliefs, yet he sometimes seem to act the opposite. Just an observation.
groober

Postby groober » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 am

unfortunately that is the only arguement. All this judging and dissing makes me want to throw ... It's funny how people just because they listen to him and follow his playing think they have a right to judge him and think they know him. Was any one actually at that gig and knew the two people involved ... Not so far. Art and Artists can't be judged they just are and ... oh never mind. I've heard loads of Vinnie stories and lots of Jaco ones but I don't go to some forum and moan about his stuff and what my opinion is of his actions what's the point am i perfect no
plus if half the worlds artists and geniae had listened to people telling them they can't do this and they can't be that ...
Life and people are full of contradictions ... just look at your self
cpdrumming

Postby cpdrumming » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:21 am

I just can't believe that he would play Paiste? After having access to the vault at Zildjian...

I've owned a whole set of the twenty series stuff and after about 8 months playing them on gigs and getting tired of the ultra bright sound, I traded them all back to the store I bought them from. I guess it's partly due to the fact that I am into darker sounds and a softer feel which Paiste doesn't offer. I recently bought an Istanbul Traditional Dark 18"crash and it is likely the most musical cymbal I've owned.

I love Vinnie's playing but I won't be buying any Paiste stuff or God forbid Ludwig if that's where he ends up...
groober

Postby groober » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:26 am

It is quite shocking to hear of. They certainly sounded kind of cleaner in that famous video. Is it some thing to do with the hammering and the machine vs hand or human assisted hammering ? Can't wait to hear the "spiel" on this one. There are very consistent as well, may be that's very important when traveling etc.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 am

Steve Holmes wrote:I can't lie.
I still Love my Zildjians.
*hugs my K Custom Dry light ride*
=)

This. I LOVE Vinnie, but I've always hated his Gretsch drum sound and never found a place in my heart for the A Customs. I always thought his crashes were shrill. I can't even begin to imagine embracing Paistes because I've actually played them for myself and my own ears. The joys of personal preference.

After that, I guess it's always important to remember it's usually impossible to sound like another drummer. Their gear is just the beginning of their sound in the age of electronics. I could own every piece of gear Weckl owns, but I could never sound like him as much as I'd love to -- so much of his sound is by own his ears/engineering. I definitely bought into Zildjian K's because of Gadd, but I simply cannot reproduce the many ways he strikes that ride cymbal.

So, I guess I'm just amazed so many people are concerned about endorsements.

As for those who are criticizing Vinnie's behavior ... I don't know the guy and it doesn't sound like any of you do, either. Do we tear down Keith Jarret or Charlie Mingus' musical legacy because they are/were sometimes known as a-holes?
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Im not quite sure where you are going with that response. Maybe it is the only argument, but its really the only one needed. You are judged by your actions, and the evidence of his actions over the years has proven him to be not so nice and appreciative of people who spend their hard earned money on tickets, products etc. No the man should not drop everything and kiss my feet for that, and I feel if the venue had a no recording policy, he has a right to be a bit perturbed. But I do know of some experiences where he has ignored and been annoyed by some of his hardcore fans. I experienced it myself. You can give me an arms length list of reasons why on those particular occasions he was in a bad mood. But it gets to a point where if you dont act nicely towards the people who pay your salary, being the fans essentially, they may not spend as much money on you. Take Vinnie with Zildjian. Word is Zildjian pissed him off, so he went and signed with Paiste. It's a shame that he may not see what his actions are doing. Again, Im not judging, nor am I gonna stop listening to Vinnie, but it is a crappy situation all around. Take Gene Simmons. More money and fame than Vinnie. More pull in the industry. Yet he always has time to talk to someone who stops him for an autograph or a picture. He knows who puts the steak on his table for dinner.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:10 pm

cpdrumming wrote:I am into darker sounds and a softer feel which Paiste doesn't offer.

Actually they do. Try some of the Twenty Customs, or the Dark Energy, or the Traditionals. The Formula 602 stuff is amazing too. Paiste has several lines that sound incredible and completely different from each other.

Return to “Drumming Chat”