Drumming prowess based on band

drummerjeff

Drumming prowess based on band

Postby drummerjeff » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:52 pm

alrighty, I got in an argument with a friend of mine about a subject I don't seem to be on the same page with everyone else.
So, I thought ...since you all here have strong opinions, I would take it to you...
first, the premise of the argument..that pop/rock drummers are judged way more by the band that they are in or the song that was played ...we were talking about john bonahm....I stated that although I did really like his drumming, he got sooooo much credit because of the fact he was led zepplin's drummer...if he was in the band Europe(their big hit was "the final countdown")...he would not be given the same praise and I think this happens all the time...I think people judge the drumming more based on how they like the song rather than how great the drumming was on it
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Drumming prowess based on band

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 pm

That's obvious, but there are plenty of drummers that also have gotten attention for putting a unique fingerprint on things.

To me Bonham did things differently than other drummers at the time. Obviously it was a time when it was common to know the name of everyone in the band, not just the singer or lead guitar player, they improvised a lot and John had a solo spot in the show.

Listen to all the hits Steve Gadd has played on. Would someon else play e.g. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover like that.

Sting has a lot of credit for the basic groove on a lot of what Vinnie did on Ten Summoners Tales, but could anyone else really play it like that and be so free with it in in his unique way? It did a lot for Vinnie's exposure to a new audience, but he was doing just fine already.

Offcourse if it fits the song and feels good, it is by definition GOOD DRUMMING. I doubt these drummers care much for the extra attention, as playing for the song and enjoying being part of the music is all they cared about in the first place. How different people talk about musicians depends a lot on their own level of experience. I still have friends ask me about the difference between a guitar or a bass guitar and have people tell me about this guy that knows three chords and brings his guitar to parties is as good as anyone and can play anything.

Fact is , if you're not a drummer or someone of the opposite sex who finds the drummer attractive, you probably won't now who he/she is unless it's a small band or a jazz group that plays in small clubs or you belong socially in that scene. That can change if you do something unique. I have a friend here in Norway, who is know for bringing all sorts of weird percusion and always has his solo spot where he sings, uses a looper and all sorts of gadgets, in addition to having a unique appearance. He adds something visual and entertaining to his performance. It's fun and it's something everyone can relate to. He is truly a great drummer, but so are many others. This makes people notice and it's a good thing for the bands he plays in. He's fun, unique and is the greatest networker I've ever observed.
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:42 pm

At this point, unless you are a complete moron and are totally unaware of any aspect of pop culture from the last 70 years or so, I'd say Bonzo has gone beyond drum-nerds, beyond the music of Zeppelin, and into legendary status.

If a CBS sitcom like How I Met Your Mother (which is a show that I can enjoy and is a bit smart at times) can reference Bonzo, I'm willing to bet that his legacy transcends far beyond an association with a particular song.
Got Blushda?
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 pm

drummerjeff wrote:I think people judge the drumming more based on how they like the song rather than how great the drumming was on it

I disagree. When drumming is so good that it is noticeable, it stands on its own. Personally, I have found that many times, even if a band is popular, or has great songs, if I don't like their drummer, I can't listen to them. Case in point: U2, Coldplay and many more. I cannot listen to those bands with those drummers playing. On the other hand, I will listen to a band with mediocre music if their drummer is great.
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:41 pm

DSOP wrote:
drummerjeff wrote:I think people judge the drumming more based on how they like the song rather than how great the drumming was on it

I disagree. When drumming is so good that it is noticeable, it stands on its own. Personally, I have found that many times, even if a band is popular, or has great songs, if I don't like their drummer, I can't listen to them. Case in point: U2, Coldplay and many more. I cannot listen to those bands with those drummers playing. On the other hand, I will listen to a band with mediocre music if their drummer is great.

Well, you're a drummer, so you are listening to things differently from many people. Though I get what you mean.

I'm sort of the same, but on the other hand -- though I love Jeff Porcaro, I can only listen to Toto a bit because the music is not great. I can listen and focus on him, but I don't always want to listen to music that way.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Bonham is one of the most respected drummers ever. Vinnie and Keith Carlock LOVE Bonham. Everyone loves Bonham. I can't imagine anyone good not liking Bonham. Bonham could play in almost any band and instantly make them better.

btw - as much as I love Bonham I can't stand Bonham clones... or any other clones for that matter.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:51 pm

bstocky wrote:btw - as much as I love Bonham I can't stand Bonham clones... or any other clones for that matter.

So true.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 pm

There is one guy who I think fits the description in this topic, but I am afraid he'd come on and post
here if I mentioned him... :?

(written tongue-in-cheek)
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:23 am

Morgenthaler, I have a feeling I know who you may be talking about (although I do quite enjoy his playing if we're referring to the same person). As for Bonham, he's the reason I got into playing in the first place, so for me personally I love his playing to death. That said, the only real Bonham clone that I particularly love (even though he's not really a Bonham clone, to me he plays very similarly) is Dave Grohl, who I hold in a very similar regard.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:01 am

DSOP wrote:

I think I understand your point, but if we're talking semantics here, a great song for you can't be great if you don't like the drumming :D

I enjoy listening to the Ramones sometimes. Thats says a lot... lol

Modern drummers in a pop/mainstream idiom who are making a difference are guys like Ronnie Vanucci for example. (IMO)

I also agree with funkydrummer... Dave Grohl did his own thing while always praising Bonham and it has worked wonders for him. He's definitely not a copy cat. He's talented.

Return to “Drumming Chat”