Thomas Lang, Amazing drum sound and chops

Da Chooch

Re: Thomas Lang, Amazing drum sound and chops

Postby Da Chooch » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:43 am

DOOOOD! what a freaking Monster!! I had the pleasure of meeting him at the DW booth this year through LA Danny. He was so cool and down to earth. Couldn't be happier for him. He expressed his excitment of getting to live in socal and such :)
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 am

Drums sound good to me. Like his playing in this clip and lax environment. Nothing to pick apart here. Great playing. Nice tone on the drums.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am

Not my cup of tea, but that's nothing against Thomas. He always seems like a very cool and friendly guy.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:38 am

I can't figure this guy out...he is clearly one of the most proficient drummers ever...effortless execution
in what he does...but I never see him in any profile gigs...which is why Vinnie or Dave or Virg or JoJo
or...seem to be more satisfied in a musical context. Does it seem he is more interested in making drums
a solo instrument allowing him to execute at such a high level but not transfer this talent into a musical
environment? Just askin'...again, I can't figure him out.

Those drums did sound very good with that DW tom sound (ehhh)...authentic snare sound, especially when it whispers.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:08 am

Great player, toms sound pretty good. I have the D6 and I notice it has a certain clickiness to it, which is good for articulation, but not good for boom. Gotta work on it though.

Great accent he has as well, you know! And his last name is really good.

:D
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

Pocketplayer wrote:I can't figure this guy out...he is clearly one of the most proficient drummers ever...effortless execution
in what he does...but I never see him in any profile gigs...which is why Vinnie or Dave or Virg or JoJo
or...seem to be more satisfied in a musical context. Does it seem he is more interested in making drums
a solo instrument allowing him to execute at such a high level but not transfer this talent into a musical
environment? Just askin'...again, I can't figure him out.

Those drums did sound very good with that DW tom sound (ehhh)...authentic snare sound, especially when it whispers.

Maybe he just hasn't found the right gig yet? Frankly, there's not a lot of musical situations that call for what Thomas displays (and I sincerely mean no disrespect there).
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Thomas has worked with a lot of sorta big European artists. Personally I have no problem listening to an awesome drummer just playing the drums.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:17 am

I just tried to find some clips where he's playing with a real band...challenging...it seems like it's 99%
drum videos on YouTube.
By the way...I stumbled upon a workshop video...I had to create two loops...LOL >>>

http://www.endlessvideo.com/watch?v=Gs9 ... &end=2m45s

http://www.endlessvideo.com/watch?v=Gs9 ... &end=0m54s
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 am

sejuba wrote:I'm too lazy to watch it again but I believe Thomas said that because the shells are really short they give "longer sustain"... doesn't that sound contradictory ?
I always thought deep shells had longer sustain. I was never good at physics though.

In my experience, short-stack style toms bring out the fundamental pitch and de-emphasize the overtones. They give a less musically-rich tone to my ears, but could help with longer sustain.
JeremyNZ

Postby JeremyNZ » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Anyone else notice he was using matched grip?????

Return to “Drumming Chat”