John McLaughlin and 4th Dimension show review

Snowdogyyz

Re: John McLaughlin and 4th Dimension show review

Postby Snowdogyyz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:30 pm

He had a great kit in Raleigh... Lenny White's kit!
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:06 pm

John McLaughlin really loves drums, that's why he always has powerhouse drummers: Billy, Narada, Tony, Trilok, Dennis, Vinnie and now 2: Marc & Gary.

Dennis once told in a clinic here that "You can never play enough drums for John!"
At one point during a tour Dennis said he started to get burned and decided to pace himself a bit for the next shows. On stage, John kept looking at him meaning "Give me more, more, more!"
At the intermission John asked: "What's the problem?" Dennis responded: "I'm pacing myself."
And John to get mad yelling something like:"I'm not hiring you to pace yourself but to play drums and A LOT of drums!!!".

Apparently that tour burned Dennis out.
sturla

Postby sturla » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:21 am

Dennis once told in a clinic here that "You can never play enough drums for John!"
At one point during a tour Dennis said he started to get burned and decided to pace himself a bit for the next shows. On stage, John kept looking at him meaning "Give me more, more, more!"
At the intermission John asked: "What's the problem?" Dennis responded: "I'm pacing myself."
And John to get mad yelling something like:"I'm not hiring you to pace yourself but to play drums and A LOT of drums!!!".

Great story! I also remember reading something about that it was John who asked if BIlly would like to try double bass drums in the Mahavishnu Orchestra back in the days.

Return to “Drumming Chat”