Herbie Hancock (with Vinnie) • 2012

gretsch-o-rama

Re: Herbie Hancock (with Vinnie) • 2012

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu May 10, 2012 4:49 pm

I can dig the cymbals but not the drums. :|
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Frank Sanchez

Postby Frank Sanchez » Fri May 11, 2012 6:57 am

Ditto to all that's been said thus far. I do hope for a more "inspired" kit than that. I'm wondering if something isn't in the works for the future, but just not ready yet. I guess now I'll just start categorizing his work by drumset and I can't see enjoying the ensuing Ludwig years over the Yamaha years with that kit. It just seems to sonically limited to make as great an impression.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri May 11, 2012 7:34 am

Frank Sanchez wrote:It just seems too sonically limited to make as great an impression.

Yeah, sort of like how Tony, Max and Elvin had nothing to offer on a kit like that. :roll:
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Fri May 11, 2012 2:57 pm

SteveHynes wrote:
Morgenthaler wrote:I really appreciate the sharing but I couldn't stand listening to this for more than a minute.
The sound quality was too bad.

Well he did warn you!
Regarding the last video, yes, not the first 5, but as I said,
I appreciate the sharing nonetheless. I personally just have a hard time listening to most of these
smartphone concerts, no matter which artist we are dealing with.
Dave Goodman

Postby Dave Goodman » Fri May 11, 2012 3:38 pm

DSOP wrote:
Frank Sanchez wrote:It just seems too sonically limited to make as great an impression.

Yeah, sort of like how Tony, Max and Elvin had nothing to offer on a kit like that. :roll:

LOL, Vinnie plays some wild shit on a four-piece set. Mark Isaacs' 'Resurgence' was done on a vintage Gretsch round badge in 2006 and it's killing. I also love the way he plays on the live Joanne Brackeen set from 1998. He's equally creative in that context as in any fusion environment on a larger drumset. What about the Lashway album on a rental four-piece Yamaha? Smokin'! (in my opinion). What an expansive vocabulary! Sounds inspired by Eric Gravatt to my ears.

There's no way anyone can make an evaluative judgement of the quality of the sound of these new drums after listening only to the clips that are posted here.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri May 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Dave Goodman wrote:Mark Isaacs' 'Resurgence' was done on a vintage Gretsch round badge in 2006 and it's killing.

I loooooove that record!

Return to “Drumming Chat”