Meet the new boss

willyz

Re: Meet the new boss

Postby willyz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 am

It's pretty unfair to include getting a CD/file of songs to learn for a gig in all of this. It's very unfair for someone to hire you, give you a song list, and expect you to purchase every song in order to learn it. Very unprofessional if you ask me...

...and I find it hard to believe that there is so much debate regarding the topic of this thread. There is nothing wrong with being an “artist” and getting paid for it. Why that is not viewed as a substantial career anymore is beyond me. What happened to the standard? That’s something worth thinking about. Perhaps all the music is being stolen because, well, most “new” music is junk and probably isn’t worth paying for. That’s why I choose not to buy it.

But for the people that do steal that stuff because, in theory, they enjoy the music- where has the sense of pride in ownership gone? Maybe I’m the only one in my age bracket but I am proud of the CDs, records, films, books, etc that I own, that I *choose* to spend my hard earned money on. What happened to the concept of a physical album, with a cover, liner notes, etc? Some say that model has shifted into the digital realm- Billy Corgan spoke about in that SXSW interview. The fact that you have create the package, as a “user experience” or whatever, just doesn’t work. At the same time, look at Dirty Loops and Mr. Barrington, getting pimped by NPR. Yeah, they did everything themselves online and are now finding success (and obviously making some dough), but couldn’t you argue that’s because they’re just well, good? That the music is good and they play it well?

Oy, sorry I was really wishy washy on this post, lads…
Got Blushda?
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Interesting you mention SXSW, that particular situation makes ungodly amounts of money by scamming up and coming musicians. That TRULY is a scam on musicians and bands.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:26 pm

langmick wrote:Hey, Communism is like sharing what you have.

So share away...capitalism sucks anyway. Oh yeah, corporations suck, except when they give you a check.

This just goes to show that you reap what you sow...artists bitch about the evils of the United States' development of trade and capitalism, but then want lots of money.

Go figure. It just falls from the sky.

Benrand, is that you? It's been a while! :D
willyz

Postby willyz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Josiah wrote:Interesting you mention SXSW, that particular situation makes ungodly amounts of money by scamming up and coming musicians. That TRULY is a scam on musicians and bands.

I couldn't agree more.

Granted, if you're the one band that sticks out once in a few years you may actually have a shot to move up in the world a bit. Otherwise it's nothing but sponsored nonsense. It's nutty.
Got Blushda?
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Ugh played there once for a band (I was hired on the gig), what a circus. The amount of pipe dreaming is just silly. Then when I looked into how bands get into SXSW, it's just sad.

Anyway I noticed something interesting, I could be wrong, but...

There seems to be some odd jump of "music downloaded" = "music purchased". Where as kids have stunningly large music collections, and that is equatable to lost revenue.
But it's not money lost from the artists, because these kids could never have afforded that much anyway. Not to say that it's ok, but I think there is a largely inflated sense of lost revenue.
Looking at various economic factors, I really wonder if it's making that much difference to the bottom line. People spend more on phones, etc then ever before. There's a limited amount of revenue that is being spread across a lot more, and lot more expensive things.... As an example the average cost of a cell phone has jumped substantially, and there's more cell phone users then ever. People aren't making more either.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 am

Josiah wrote: People spend more on phones, etc then ever before. There's a limited amount of revenue that is being spread across a lot more, and lot more expensive things.... As an example the average cost of a cell phone has jumped substantially, and there's more cell phone users then ever. People aren't making more either.

One could argue that one of the main reasons that people are spending so much money on phones, tablets, mp3 players etc, is to listen to and view audio/video. Without the creative content, these pieces of hardware are paperweights. This is why these behemoth corporations want to maintain the status quo. They love trampling on the rights of the content creators, but they're in courts everyday litigating copyright and patent law when it comes to THEIR hardware/software. Fucking cunts.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Maybe, hard to say I know gobs of people who have smart phones and almost no music/video on them. From keeping up with their fantasy leagues to high scores on angry birds...

My point was that, while I don't agree with, in particularly, people just amassing huge collections of music - literally more then you could ever listen too. My point is that, it's not like that volume of music would have (or even could have) been purchased legally.
Last edited by Josiah on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52 pm

One could argue that one of the main reasons that people are spending so much money on phones, tablets, mp3 players etc, is to listen to and view audio/video. Without the creative content, these pieces of hardware are paperweights.

What are you smoking? 99.99% of people would hate to be in your mindset or world.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Kurtis wrote:
One could argue that one of the main reasons that people are spending so much money on phones, tablets, mp3 players etc, is to listen to and view audio/video. Without the creative content, these pieces of hardware are paperweights.

What are you smoking? 99.99% of people would hate to be in your mindset or world.

The reason behind people spending lots of money on fucking phones or tablets is way deeper than just to listen to and view audio/video.
I´m proud to say to any fellow musician that all of my music was bought instead of downloaded... Without having to sermonize anyone many of the guys that buy some stuff and download some at least revaluates their position about it...
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Kurtis wrote:What are you smoking? 99.99% of people would hate to be in your mindset or world.

I don't smoke. Eliminate the ability to play music or view video on every computer, tablet, smart phone, etc. and let me know how that affects sales of those devices.

I'll wait....

Return to “Drumming Chat”