Help deciding between boom stands...

samnmax203

Help deciding between boom stands...

Postby samnmax203 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Time to replace my boom stands, and I wanted to ask opinions. I'm leaning towards the Tama Roadpro series (HC73B), but I've also been interested in the new Ludwig ATLAS (standard series) stands. Thoughts?

I've also heard many people on here extol the virtues of Yamaha stands, but I've never personally used. Care to try and sell me on them?

Possibly pertinent info: I want double braced HW, but not too heavy (DW is out for weight & price point). Already have 1 Pearl B1000... nice, but once again heavy and for a bunch of them slightly out of my price point.
bstocky

Re: Help deciding between boom stands...

Postby bstocky » Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 am

I haven't tried or even seen the new Ludwig stuff in person but based on their history I doubt they got it right.
I'd get Yamaha. They make the best heavy duty hardware that isn't physically heavy. Everything else eventually breaks or wears out. I've broken tons of parts from Tama and see plenty more everyday at my local shop. The only company that is hardly ever returned is Yamaha. I've tried everything (except the new Ludwig) and always recommend Yamaha to my students.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 am

The new Ludwig Atlas stands are amazing. The tilter alone is ridiculously cool.

Why do you want double braced stands though? I recommend the single braced Yamaha stuff. Plenty sturdy, and it will last forever.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu May 17, 2012 12:17 pm

The new Ludwigs are cool, However for the price, DW is a far better choice,, or Tama or Yamaha, The Ludwig designs are first rate but the quality of chrome plating and the metal used is not as good as the others.. DW is probably the best quality wise,.. If you eat your wheaties in the morning...
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Thu May 17, 2012 5:04 pm

bstocky wrote:I haven't tried or even seen the new Ludwig stuff in person but based on their history I doubt they got it right.
I'd get Yamaha. They make the best heavy duty hardware that isn't physically heavy. Everything else eventually breaks or wears out. I've broken tons of parts from Tama and see plenty more everyday at my local shop. The only company that is hardly ever returned is Yamaha. I've tried everything (except the new Ludwig) and always recommend Yamaha to my students.

I second Yamaha! I have a couple of the 800 series double braced that I love. They are very stable even without a full base spread and you can't beat the adjustability. They don't break the bank, are not heavy for double braced and with a little care will last forever. I carry mine in a lightweight duffel and I simply wrap them in towels to eliminate metal to metal contact while in transit. I've had them for quite a few years and they still look new. The 700 series single braced are just as awesome and even lighter weight.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu May 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:
bstocky wrote:The 700 series single braced are just as awesome and even lighter weight.

So are the 600.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri May 18, 2012 1:15 pm

I like my Gibraltar9000 stuff. Not lightweight, but overall they might end up being lightweight with all the options available.
moose

Postby moose » Fri May 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Rhythmatist wrote:The 700 series single braced are just as awesome and even lighter weight.

All my hardware is Yamaha 700-series - and I have a lot of it. Can't be beaten, in my book.
Matus

Postby Matus » Fri May 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Count me in for Yamaha 700. I use some 800 stands for extra sturdiness on multi-tom-cymbals stands, but the rest is 700.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
samnmax203

Postby samnmax203 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Damn I'm feelin the Yammie love! I don't know if it's a mental block, but I've mostly seen Yamaha stands in a SEVERELY used state. Maybe that's why I've never looked into them as much.

@bstocky- What parts have you seen fail the most? Is it the toothless tilters giving out or something else stripping?

@chris- I'd love some DWs... that cost... ouch. :)

@odd-arne oseberg- I've been using the Gibraltar Rock series (discontinued) for 8+ years now, and they're still in great shape. I just want to get replacements queued up for when I need to replace, and I keep hearing how their stuff has gone down the tubes of late...

@ DSOP- the desire for the double bracing goes back to some of the stuff I've seen where I work. Usually lower/lower-middle tiered stands are single braced versus the "better quality" stuff being single braced. The stuff that usually gave out from constant customer interaction was always the single braced stuff. Once again, it might just be another instilled mental block, but typically the double braced stuff seems to have held up longer. No matter who much I've requested we remain a Yamaha dealer but do NOT carry any of their hardware components, so I've been unable to really familiarize myself with them.

Return to “Drumming Chat”