Head question- G2 vs. emperors

Morgenthaler

Re: Head question- G2 vs. emperors

Postby Morgenthaler » Sat May 19, 2012 11:18 am

Steve Holmes wrote:
Jim Richman wrote:Don't fix what is not broken. Stick with the Emps.

This. I have tried other heads but remo always sounds best to me.

+1

I used to sell drums for a living (for 7 years) and I've probably played +1,000 drum kits.
For warmth, tone, punch and volume, I'd prefer Remo every time.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Sat May 19, 2012 11:22 am

Julián Fernández wrote:I disagree... I like to try new things (especially heads that are pretty cheap) in order to find new and inspiring sounds...

Of course. But when you love something, there is no reason to go anywhere else. I love my wife and son, but I think I will keep searching for something to love more. LOL
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat May 19, 2012 11:36 am

Yes because the nature of ones relationship with their wife and kids is similar enough to one with drums and drum heads so that analogy is accurate.
:|
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat May 19, 2012 11:49 am

JAjaja, come on Jim... I don´t wanna change nobody´s mind; just saying that there´s a reason why we´re not playing calfskin heads anymore...
The same with sticks, even if I´m going back to VF´s 55a, from time to time I like to see what´s new on the market... It´s all good though, don´t change your wife and kids for now! :)
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sat May 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Jim Richman wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:I disagree... I like to try new things (especially heads that are pretty cheap) in order to find new and inspiring sounds...

Of course. But when you love something, there is no reason to go anywhere else. I love my wife and son, but I think I will keep searching for something to love more. LOL

I've heard that before: from 2:10 to 2:23

:) I love Louis CK
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sat May 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:from time to time I like to see what´s new on the market

I do too. Every few years, I'll try out sticks from every manufacturer to see if anything feels better. With heads, I've been very satisfied with Remo's stuff. I did try out Evans about 20 years ago, and then again about 10 years ago, but they didn't do it for me. I've never tried Aquarian though.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Sat May 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Jim Richman wrote:

dude, just wait til they release the iPhone 5...than you can dump your wife and kid :D
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Sat May 19, 2012 4:14 pm

DSOP wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:from time to time I like to see what´s new on the market

I do too. Every few years, I'll try out sticks from every manufacturer to see if anything feels better. With heads, I've been very satisfied with Remo's stuff. I did try out Evans about 20 years ago, and then again about 10 years ago, but they didn't do it for me. I've never tried Aquarian though.

do you prefer Remo in general or are you talking about a specific situation such as..."oh, it sounds great in my drum room with drum brand X" ?

Heads are so expensive where I live (we're talking 25-50 dollar) per head, its almost impossible to A/B them.
I've tried ambassadors and G1s and they don't sound as "good" as thicker heads. I can only get my kit to sound ok when I use low tuning. It gotta
have something to do with my room (which is very dead = all covered with bass traps). Both Remo/Evans given its a thicker head will
sound ok...
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sat May 19, 2012 4:56 pm

sejuba wrote:do you prefer Remo in general or are you talking about a specific situation such as..."oh, it sounds great in my drum room with drum brand X" ?

I prefer them in general, for any purpose. I've been playing clear ambassadors for the better part of 30 years. Occasionally, I use coated ambassadors, and I have used clear emperors as well as pinstripes a couple times. I tend to tension fairly high, and love the sound of clear ambassadors. On snares, I use coated ambassadors or coated reverse clear dots.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun May 20, 2012 10:16 am

Interesting, Remo changed their 2 ply design. Instead of 2x7, they are doing 1x10mil and 1x5mil. *Edit, misread* It's only the pinstripes and select other 'special' heads.

Return to “Drumming Chat”