Head question- G2 vs. emperors

Yussuf

Re: Head question- G2 vs. emperors

Postby Yussuf » Sun May 20, 2012 11:56 am

Check out Aquarian modern vintage heads. They sound really really good but lost their tone pretty quickly. I still keep going back to Remos.

Evans was always a bit meh.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Sun May 20, 2012 6:11 pm

I've been playing Remo all my life. I had tried some Evans and just couldn't get them to respond the way I like. Seems like the Remo (coated amb) offers me a wider tuning range on all sizes. They simply feel more comfortable. Even in my pinstripe days I felt like there was better response overall.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun May 20, 2012 6:33 pm

It's futile... Remo
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun May 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Anyone try the vintage clear emperors yet?
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun May 20, 2012 7:47 pm

I have not tried those.

The video... well maybe if they turned the flippin reverb down about 8 notches I could actually hear the heads. The effects are so strong in that video it's pretty pathetic.
samnmax203

Postby samnmax203 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:28 pm

@Josiah- Yea, I've tried the Gpluses from Evans a few head cycles ago, and had received the most compliments from sound guys/drum friends about the tone of my kit (maple shelled). I was just curious as how the extra 2 mil would affect the feel of the heads mostly.

@DSOP- Good friend of mine swears by those Vintage Emperors. Not as open as the emperors, little bit darker in tone with an almost "broken-in" vibe. Out of the box and they're already ready to go.

I've always experimented with heads, but it seemed to me like Evans has always had different offerings in the snare and kick department that I never experienced with Remo. I think I'm sold on these emperors for now, debating if I want to try coated in the future or go with the vintage line. Now thanks to Willyz I want to try an ambassador X on my snare.

I don't know if there's a better all-around snare head than an ambassador. <----- WARNING: My opinion ;)
Last edited by samnmax203 on Mon May 21, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun May 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Oh for snare? Coated Amb or CS Dot just depends on the gig. Both kill it.

Probably shouldn't say it, but, I use projects gear budgets to experiment with heads. *shrug*

The day I get a head endorsement I'll have them send me 1 of every kind to A/B, but like DSOP said, there's not way you can do that with out some serious coin.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon May 21, 2012 4:10 am

For me, Evans sounds a bit more plastic-like. It's not bad, I just like the warmer Emperor sound.
I'm curious about this one:
http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8 ... o_x14.html
It's about the same thickness as Emperors (which I use on snare), but on a single ply. I should definitely give it a try, either that or go back to the good old CS.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon May 21, 2012 7:24 am

that gerald heyward needs to work on his technique...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Mon May 21, 2012 4:33 pm

IMO my Remo coated vintage Emps give me the warmth I'm looking for along with tone for days. Although I'm thinking clears would have that PLUS more punch and definItion. I've tried Evans and found tone out of the box, whereas Remo's can take a few gigs to settle in, BUT Remo has a longevity and life that Evans don't.
D.

Return to “Drumming Chat”