Head question- G2 vs. emperors

samnmax203

Head question- G2 vs. emperors

Postby samnmax203 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:22 pm

I used to use G2 coated heads, tried out some emperor clears and fell in love. Now I'm debating going back to Evans and using the G2 clears. Has anybody A/Bed or heard a difference in the G2 clear and the emperor clears?

Anyone here try the G14s yet? We have them in the store, but I haven't had any feedback yet.
bstocky

Re: Head question- G2 vs. emperors

Postby bstocky » Thu May 17, 2012 6:31 am

I prefer Emps over G2s but I prefer Remo over Evans in general. I think Emps have more overtones and produce a louder, fuller sound. G2s have less overtones and sound more controlled. They're all good though. Maybe buy both heads in one size and A/B them for yourself.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 am

I have clear G2'son my 10, 12, 14 DW toms,but an Emp on the 16. I want emps all around now. When i get down to the 16, it just sounds fuller. I agree that the evans sound more controlled. Im sick of Evan's heads, but I cant lie, I buy them when I find them cheap. At an average of $15 a head, to outfit the whole kit is a challenge.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 am

With so many options in head choices now, it would take about $300 to really compare a bunch of them just on one drum.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri May 18, 2012 10:39 am

Evans seem to be better made, but I just prefer the Remo much sound.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri May 18, 2012 12:52 pm

samnmax203 wrote:Has anybody A/Bed or heard a difference in the G2 clear and the emperor clears?

Yes, exactly that. In my opinion, or as things sound to my ears, with the drums I used, how I play, etc

Evans has a little more "thwonk" to the sound to me. Almost a thicker sound. A little more attack on the high end. Evans seems to be a lower pitched head overall though.
Remo has a little more mellow tone, a little meatier with not quite the high end attack the G2 has. A little more in the midrange as well.

Now about the G14 - I haven't tried one. However, I have used the G+, which is a 12 mil single ply. I had waited a long time for the thicker single ply, and it was pretty much what I expected. Tunes and feels like a single ply, has the "ummph" of a 2 ply. Thicker tone then a single ply 10 mil, and a little more attack and a little more bottom end punch - less mid range. These heads like to be laid into a bit more to get them to really sing, and they don't seem to have issues with choking like G1's do when you lay into the larger diameter heads.

I would expect the G14 to take those attributes and kick them up a notch. It probably takes even muscle to get them to open up, they probably feel a bit stiffer to play on then G+'s and probably are even more attacky and punchy.

Great thing about both companies, is they make great heads. They have a noticeable tonal difference, but both seem to do there job equally well.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri May 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Don't fix what is not broken. Stick with the Emps.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Sat May 19, 2012 4:54 am

Yup. Every few years I check out Evans or Pearl or whatever seems hot at the moment but I keep coming back to the same old stuff.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat May 19, 2012 11:07 am

Jim Richman wrote:Don't fix what is not broken. Stick with the Emps.

This. I have tried other heads but remo always sounds best to me.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat May 19, 2012 11:13 am

I disagree... I like to try new things (especially heads that are pretty cheap) in order to find new and inspiring sounds...

Return to “Drumming Chat”