The Best & Worst Things Of Being An Older Drummer

Julián Fernández

Re: The Best & Worst Things Of Being An Older Drummer

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri May 25, 2012 6:47 am

Hey Manu, most musicians I know struggled at some point doubting about passion and "skills"...

I realized that many people tend to have high expectations about something while doing an effort that´s not compatible with that expectations...
How many hours are you putting on your instrument? You HAVE to spend some time playing long hours everyday before being able to tell if you have it o not...
Before that is all mind crap... It was really eye-opening to me to really devote 4-6 hours a day to realize that the only talent is being persistent.

I would suggest to give the whole album a little rest. Take some distance to reevaluate the whole thing, and at the same time hit that shed hard. Your inspiration and whole perspective will be renewed. I promise! 8-)

Animo, colega!
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Hey Manu, most musicians I know struggled at some point doubting about passion and "skills"...

I realized that many people tend to have high expectations about something while doing an effort that´s not compatible with that expectations...
How many hours are you putting on your instrument? You HAVE to spend some time playing long hours everyday before being able to tell if you have it o not...
Before that is all mind crap... It was really eye-opening to me to really devote 4-6 hours a day to realize that the only talent is being persistent.

I would suggest to give the whole album a little rest. Take some distance to reevaluate the whole thing, and at the same time hit that shed hard. Your inspiration and whole perspective will be renewed. I promise! 8-)

Animo, colega!

I can't leave the album aside, I have all things scheduled and deadlines must be met :D

I do practice quite a lot though, regardless I don't make much improvement anymore, I feel I reached my peak in ability a while ago, it get's to a point when improvement is not really met by long practice but by punctual skills you feel you need to attain. One debt I have with drumming is double pedal speed, I seem to have some muscle retardation that doesn't allow me to go beyond a point, so frustrating.

Anyway I feel I have hi jacked this thread, let's allow other people to tell their, hopefully happier, stories.

Gracias por el animo de todas formas ;)
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri May 25, 2012 7:13 am

Manu wrote:reality is that right now we're living in difficult times of economic turmoil everywhere and our near future is unknown. Over here where I live at least you can sense a dreadful feeling of anticipation in people, things are not ok anymore, everything is more precarious and that affects everyone. Thus doing anything just costs more effort, and sometimes it get's overwhelming.

It really is a crazy, stressful time for pretty much anyone that is even remotely sensitive and aware. I think it's just about getting through it and surviving. Hang in there and don't give up. Hopefully things improve for us all.
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri May 25, 2012 7:17 am

DSOP wrote:
Manu wrote:reality is that right now we're living in difficult times of economic turmoil everywhere and our near future is unknown. Over here where I live at least you can sense a dreadful feeling of anticipation in people, things are not ok anymore, everything is more precarious and that affects everyone. Thus doing anything just costs more effort, and sometimes it get's overwhelming.

It really is a crazy, stressful time for pretty much anyone that is even remotely sensitive and aware. I think it's just about getting through it and surviving. Hang in there and don't give up. Hopefully things improve for us all.

Yeah man, I am hanging on, I am just not going to sugarcoat it you know, things are just tough as F for some of us, that's just reality. I will struggle now but as I said this is my last struggle, if good stuff comes along I will ride the wave but otherwise I will just grab my board and go home to meditate about it all.

It's not so tragic ;)
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Fri May 25, 2012 7:28 am

Being a self-taught garage-band-graduate...I just don't have the musical apptitude I wish I had learned earlier. I was an athlete thru school. I am more of an "athletic drummer" than a musician.

It was fun working in the musical instrument business with Paiste and Pearl in my 20s, 30s...soaking it all in while getting to be around real musicians.

So, as I get older at 54...I am just having fun in a local rock band enjoying the tunes that are in my "wheelhouse", and really playing more than ever. Aleve is my drug of choice to help loosen-up before a gig. I have to work on having more time to warm-up. I think arthritis may be creeping into my hands and shoulders. Sometimes the load-in and set-up gets in the way of warming up properly.

One of the tunes in my wheelhouse...drum cam shot with the Zoom Q3HD...it was nice to have Steve Holmes give me a thumbs-up on my Facebook site for this...fun one to play...
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri May 25, 2012 7:35 am

robhaerr wrote:Being a self-taught garage-band-graduate...I just don't have the musical apptitude I wish I had learned earlier. I was an athlete thru school. I am more of an "athletic drummer" than a musician.

It was fun working in the musical instrument business with Paiste and Pearl in my 20s, 30s...soaking it all in while getting to be around real musicians.

So, as I get older at 54...I am just having fun in a local rock band enjoying the tunes that are in my "wheelhouse", and really playing more than ever. Aleve is my drug of choice to help loosen-up before a gig. I have to work on having more time to warm-up. I think arthritis may be creeping into my hands and shoulders. Sometimes the load-in and set-up gets in the way of warming up properly.

One of the tunes in my wheelhouse...drum cam shot with the Zoom Q3HD...it was nice to have Steve Holmes give me a thumbs-up on my Facebook site for this...fun one to play...

That was great Rob, I enjoyed it.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Fri May 25, 2012 7:50 am

Manu wrote:That was great Rob, I enjoyed it.

Thanks, Manu.

I have always had a "day job"...so drumming is pure fun for me. For the last 25+ years I have been selling business-to-business supplies after leaving the musical instrument sales and distribution management jobs. I am lucky to be playing with guys in the same mindset and our chemistry is good. Band is celebrating 25 years this year.

Rob
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 am

robhaerr wrote:
Manu wrote:That was great Rob, I enjoyed it.

Thanks, Manu.

I have always had a "day job"...so drumming is pure fun for me. For the last 25+ years I have been selling business-to-business supplies after leaving the musical instrument sales and distribution management jobs. I am lucky to be playing with guys in the same mindset and our chemistry is good. Band is celebrating 25 years this year.

Rob

You're a very solid player, skilled and with fun ideas, I enjoyed those china details here and there, very 80's , love that stuff.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Fri May 25, 2012 8:12 am

Manu wrote:
You're a very solid player, skilled and with fun ideas, I enjoyed those china details here and there, very 80's , love that stuff.

Ha...thank you, Manu...means a lot!

Can I quit my day job?

(if I could just make the $12,000-15,000 a year from the band go further)
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 am

That was solid as hell Rob!! Fantastic playing, great feel. Awesome drum sounds too! What snare is that?

I've been lucky to have good teachers and advice, like stretching the fingers/arms/hands before AND after every gig. It's just purely 2nd nature at this point, part of the warm up/break down routine. Working out the RC's regularly. Developing good habits with moving gear, etc Habits that (I hope) will go a long way towards staving off any joint/back/RSI issues.

I take MSM, Gluc, etc but my right knee is more metal then bone, so we'll see how that is in 20 years.

Pretty cool to read through the different experiences and lessons learned, very valuable insights here.

Return to “Drumming Chat”