The Best & Worst Things Of Being An Older Drummer

robhaerr

Re: The Best & Worst Things Of Being An Older Drummer

Postby robhaerr » Fri May 25, 2012 9:08 am

Josiah wrote:That was solid as hell Rob!! Fantastic playing, great feel. Awesome drum sounds too! What snare is that?

Thanks Josiah...now you have made my day, asking about my snare!

That's a Yamaha Roy Haynes model that I have been wanting for a while. My wife was lurking on my Facebook site as I talked about it...and she bought it for me for our 25th wedding anniversary last July.

One of the sound companies we work with says he really loves the tone of the copper...still sounding like a metal snare with lots of pop, but not too out-of-control for his needs at the board.

I saw this and other videos of Steve Haas playing this snare, and loved the response he got while playing not real hard. I emailed him to ask him about it, he was really cool and told me...and my wife rocked it...life is good!

Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri May 25, 2012 9:31 am

I had a hunch! There's a special place in my heart for Copper

25 years too, congrats on that as well!
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Fri May 25, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks...yeah...I love it (and my wife, too)!

Here is another older guy drum cam from the snare side that gives it a good view and listen...

Last edited by robhaerr on Sun May 27, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri May 25, 2012 3:12 pm

The best: Your time becomes solid. All the years of intense study and practice pays off. I'm not exactly an older drummer but I'm not 25 anymore and wish I was.

The worst: I have lost some interest, no wait, I've lost a lot of interest in intense practicing. When I do practice it's independence stuff and that is intense. Freeing up limbs and your minds view on rhythm is fun. Just wish I had more time to do it but kids put a damper on the time you have in a day. I wish I got into a great fusion group like Captin Holmes did. That would fuel the fire.

Good topic. I don't feel like getting older is a negative thing at all. I embrace it. It's a path you can't change. You want to get as much shit done before your a corpse rotting away until every atom in your body has morphed into sub atomic particals. The one good thing about aging is how understanding rhythm and harmony relates. Making music is more funner. Seeping into a groove is more enjoyable now. I didn't get it at age 26.

Humans age like a fine wine. It just gets better.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Fri May 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Kurtis wrote:... kids put a damper on the time you have in a day.

I'm only 30 and this has been a real challenge for me over the last year. I just started taking lessons again with my teacher I studied with in college... I don't want to show up there after a week with nothing to show.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri May 25, 2012 6:04 pm

It's interesting, and I don't mean in any way to be insulting, but comments like that and having lots of discussions with various musicians, or really anyone who had passions and had to set them aside, has made the choice of not having kids so easy. I love playing drums, I wouldn't be able to give it up. Or won't I should say.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Fri May 25, 2012 8:00 pm

One of the hardest things to get a handle on is balance. Everything has a price.

The decision to reproduce is not one to be taken lightly ( I waited until I was relatively financially secure before I went there), and kids, relationships, day gigs, etc., do take time - but they offer rewards of their own which endure after the applause dies, and which are essential if one is to be a more complete person. If you have no life beyond the practice room, it will show. Kids will make you develop, make you become more selfless, less rigid, and more aware of those around you - all good things if one aspires to be a musician, I think.

Bruford has a line in his bio about there being 2 kinds of people in the world; those with children, and those without. I think there is a lot of truth to that; I see it every day in the people I deal with.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Sat May 26, 2012 8:29 am

Riddim wrote:One of the hardest things to get a handle on is balance. Everything has a price.

The decision to reproduce is not one to be taken lightly ( I waited until I was relatively financially secure before I went there), and kids, relationships, day gigs, etc., do take time - but they offer rewards of their own which endure after the applause dies, and which are essential if one is to be a more complete person. If you have no life beyond the practice room, it will show. Kids will make you develop, make you become more selfless, less rigid, and more aware of those around you - all good things if one aspires to be a musician, I think.

Bruford has a line in his bio about there being 2 kinds of people in the world; those with children, and those without. I think there is a lot of truth to that; I see it every day in the people I deal with.

Riddim...

You hit exactly on what I neglected to, but I talk about this a lot to other friends who ask..."how do you make the time to play in a band?"

Many of these other people have let go of their passions after having a family...and it shows. Life...to me anyway...is about balance, not perfection.

I am really enjoying life while participating in many very different areas...and bangin' out rock tunes is one of them! I did quit playing baseball after our daughter was born 21 years ago...that was tough...but time is time, and it ran out!

My kids have been involved in the band taking video/photos, selling merch, being roadies. I was hoping one of them would take to the drums or another instrument, but did not...both are very much their own person with their own passions and maybe that is better! They have been able to witness and participate in my passions and I can only hope that it has helped to form their own.

I left the musical instrument business in the early 90s so I could make more money in another industry and not have to travel so much after having a family. Turns out that I was also able to play music more, make more money at it, and enjoy a fuller lifestyle beyond both work and playing drums.

Of course, your mileage may vary. There are always things I wish I could do better...including raising our kids.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Sun May 27, 2012 2:49 am

Hey Rob,

I noticed that snare right off the bat, but it's the first time hearing it; SWEET!

Hey Manu, best of luck, and don't forget perception is a large part of reality; you can turn a lot of those things you talked about into a positive direction.

Be careful not to base your own self image upon skill, success or what other people think of you; every one of us be great, all we have to do is believe it.

I always just assumed that of all the arts, musicians would understand how important process, and the moment is, but I guess I didn't take into account recordings, and how important they can be artistically as well as financially.

Musicians are able to make something out of nothing, though, and make people dance and smile.

When times are hard, that can be important; sometimes going out in public and playing for free, even on street corners, can be very rewarding, especially when you can see people of all ages enjoying the music and having a good time.

One of the best about being an older drummer is that I listen better.

One of the worst things is that my hearing is damaged.

Another one of the best things is that I know so much more.

But, I miss the blissful ignorance of my youth.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Sun May 27, 2012 7:52 am

bclarkio wrote:Hey Rob,

I noticed that snare right off the bat, but it's the first time hearing it; SWEET!

One of the best about being an older drummer is that I listen better.

One of the worst things is that my hearing is damaged.

Thanks bclarkio...to hear that other drummers like another drummer's snare is very satisfying! It was very cool to get the snare, start tuning it, then find it's sweet spot...it was a bonestorm to hear that sweet spot with this piece of drum jewelry!

Your point about listening is also huge. I don't have much in the way of chops...but I do listen and embellish with little accents/kicks that play off of the lyrics/vocal licks/other instruments. Helps to make the covers songs more interesting with our own little touches. Keeps being in a cover band not so boring...especially when having to play "one of those tunes".

My band mates age range goes from 50-62...so the hearing issue is also discussed often in regards to stage volume and maybe moving to in-ear monitors.

Return to “Drumming Chat”