The Best & Worst Things Of Being An Older Drummer

Frank Sanchez

The Best & Worst Things Of Being An Older Drummer

Postby Frank Sanchez » Tue May 22, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey Guys,

I was watching a few vids from the past of drummers in their earlier days then watching them much later. I thought about listening to myself play 10-15 years ago, versus what I play today. I thought I'd see if this resonated with anyone and how they might answer this question.

"What's the best thing about being an older drummer and what is the worst thing about being an older drummer?"

For me, right now, the best things are confidence in my skill set. Knowing what needs to be played. Having earned a reputation among the musicians that I play with that I will dependably reproduce whatever they ask me to play. Additionally, the best thing about being an older player is that I'm not obsessed with fads or unattainable extreme interdependance exercises, which I will never be adjudicated by. As a player, I truly enjoy the benefit of experience and time spent on the kit.

The worst thing is feeling like I've settled, not in a bad careless way, but in a satisfaction with where I am. I miss the days of letting the excellence of the extreme interdependance guys fuel my fire to attain. The worst thing about being an older drummer is the fear that keeps you from taking risks. There is something really great about going for some ridiculous fill and knowing that there is just as good a chance that you will fail as there is that you will succeed! Sometimes, I miss the edge of youth.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
langmick

Re: The Best & Worst Things Of Being An Older Drummer

Postby langmick » Tue May 22, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm only 43, but here are mine from being this young, very young age.

Best:
Finding out and accepting the lessons taught by mistakes, in life and in playing
Being a better player, having better time
Confidence and relaxation
Control of emotions
You learn there is a lot to learn
Realization that you have one time to live, and it's yours, not others, and you own it
Knowing what music is, and what to play
Conscious effort is not needed, as much, to play well

Worst
Physical problems, knees, wrists etc
More financial intensity due to playing larger gigs, not a bad thing to have
Impatience
Time is gone
Realizing you have one life and this is it, no more.
Time passing by and feeling guilty for not being a better steward of it
Regrets
Missed opportunities are much more painful
The nagging feeling that creeps up and suffocates that you wasted a lot of goddamn time on a potential adolescent folly!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue May 22, 2012 6:29 pm

I haven't played in about a year because of nerve damage from my shoulders to my wrists. It's not from drumming -- it's from how I sleep. Crazy, huh? It SUCKS getting old.

Before that, I can tell you that "go for it" instinct you have when you're young dissipates. It's easy to get wrapped up in playing for the music and lose the fire. I'm certain that's why Vinnie has always felt compelled to go blow crazy chops around town after studio dates.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Tue May 22, 2012 6:44 pm

In response to the initial post, it's understanding that playing the instrument well is fine; playing the music well is so much more important.

I never felt playing for the music resulted in a loss of fire. If you care about and believe in what you do, folks will feel that.
Manu

Postby Manu » Tue May 22, 2012 11:11 pm

The good: Having been able to witness so many fantastic drummers.
The bad: Knowing I will never be one of them.

EDIT: Oh sorry I thought the title was the best and worst about being a drummer, missed the older part. Well I guess it will be the same as I get older, although probably I will just leave it out of depression when the album i've been working for 2 years fails strepitously when it gets released next year.

If I have to tell the truth being a musician has been quite stressful, sorry for the negativity folks, wish I had gotten ****the gift**** (and the will to develop it)
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed May 23, 2012 4:24 am

Manu wrote:The good: Having been able to witness so many fantastic drummers.

EDIT: Oh sorry I thought the title was the best and worst about being a drummer, missed the older part. Well I guess it will be the same as I get older, although probably I will just leave it out of depression when the album i've been working for 2 years fails strepitously when it gets released next year.

If I have to tell the truth being a musician has been quite stressful, sorry for the negativity folks, wish I had gotten ****the gift**** (and the will to develop it)
I hope you get help for your depression. Your thoughts are very unhealthy.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Wed May 23, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm a better drummer in most ways than when I was younger. More musical, more tasteful -- perhaps that isn't saying a ton. :)

My body is weaker.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:21 pm

The bad: Having a hard time finding musicians your age that want and can play jazz.
The good: Switching to guitar and discover a whole new world...
Manu

Postby Manu » Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Jim Richman wrote:
Manu wrote:The good: Having been able to witness so many fantastic drummers.

I hope you get help for your depression. Your thoughts are very unhealthy.

My thoughts are realistic, which is worse. But don't worry I don't need help.
Next year is the defining point for my drumming expectations in life, if I fail again I will just leave it and that's it.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu May 24, 2012 8:24 am

Manu wrote:Next year is the defining point for my drumming expectations in life, if I fail again I will just leave it and that's it.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself Manu. When a project fails, or whenever things don't turn out as you had hoped, you just do your best to figure out why and try to learn from it. Then you modify a few things, and try again, or try something different.

If you do ever give up drumming, it will find its way back into your life sooner or later.

Return to “Drumming Chat”