Dennis Chambers Workshop

Clint Hopkins

Dennis Chambers Workshop

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey guys,
Enjoy this 3-part workshop from Dennis. I love when he talks about the stuff that influences him. Very nice.

http://www.bonedo.de/workshop/drums/vid ... index.html
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Dennis Chambers Workshop

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. He's such a ridiculous player.
Terry Branam

Postby Terry Branam » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Yes. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone going to the Stern gig with DC and Anthony Jackson at Catalina's on 12/9?

I'll be passing through on my way to the next chapter in life...moving to San Francisco!

Look for me to be sitting as close to AJ as possible with my jaw on the floor.
Check out my app PERFECT RHYTHM on the App store!
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:46 am

Great find.
It´s almost like having Dennis at your home, talking and playing.

Another good videos for watching and re-watching.

Who is that "Vinnie" that he talks about in his explanations? :)

Thanks.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:37 am

So awesome, thanks for the find!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:16 am

nice find. class act that dennis. gonna give the pillow more attention in the days to come.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 am

Chambers is proof there's no such thing as an "uneducated" or "self-taught" good drummer. This guy has sought out the best minds on the instrument and gained knowledge by mimicking and asking good questions (and putting in the time in the shed). I don't know why he thinks he's "uneducated." He can't read, but who cares. The guy has master's degree in pulse and time signature and feel. He can do the math. If you can do the math at his level and skill, you're very, very, very educated in my book.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:42 am

Gaddabout wrote:Chambers is proof there's no such thing as an "uneducated" or "self-taught" good drummer. This guy has sought out the best minds on the instrument and gained knowledge by mimicking and asking good questions (and putting in the time in the shed). I don't know why he thinks he's "uneducated." He can't read, but who cares. The guy has master's degree in pulse and time signature and feel. He can do the math. If you can do the math at his level and skill, you're very, very, very educated in my book.

I believe he is referring to 'Formally Educated' - as in attended a college, university, etc Particularly considering the majority of players (at his level and age) ARE educated formally.

No doubt, there are no uneducated musician(s). We draw our educations from listening to others, playing with others and experiencing others music.*

My short time with Dennis was very educational, he is both an inspiring person and player.

*I do want to say, there are some very ignorant players out there. People who do listen to great music, players, etc but for whatever reason choose not to make the (small) effort to understand and more importantly internalize what they hear. It always amazes me, given how much "education" is freely available how "uneducated" people can be.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 am

Gaddabout wrote:Chambers is proof there's no such thing as an "uneducated" or "self-taught" good drummer. This guy has sought out the best minds on the instrument and gained knowledge by mimicking and asking good questions (and putting in the time in the shed). I don't know why he thinks he's "uneducated." He can't read, but who cares. The guy has master's degree in pulse and time signature and feel. He can do the math. If you can do the math at his level and skill, you're very, very, very educated in my book.

Yeah, maybe emphasizing the "uneducated" thing(it's not the first time for him) is just a cool thing to say for getting some street cred or whatever..;) It's clear he has done his homework by checking out the master drummers.

Anyway, Dennis is always phenomenal. Not many fusion players have that kind of feel good pocket. Plus he can really SWING playing straight ahead.

Thanks for the link!
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:27 pm

He's got a Phd in Pocket, a doctorate in depth of feel . . . came from the George Clinton school of The One at an early age!
video of brides of funkenstein- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FEDTiEVxQs
Age 16 on Funkadelic's Harcore Jollies record EPIC FUNK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBEHnTKs-f0

Return to “Drumming Chat”