For everyone with cloth ears...

Rene

Re: For everyone with cloth ears...

Postby Rene » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:52 am

A modern version of Tama's Tension watch ???
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 am

I don't really see how it would help anyone tune, it's just a spectrum meter showing the dominate frequencies and relative pitch association. Which is interesting to see I guess....
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 pm

Unlike the Tension Watch, this device indicates pitch, not tension. Just because the head tension may be the same at all lugs doesn't necessarily mean the pitch will be. Bearing edges may be off, heads or edges defective, or the shell out of round. In the end we are concerned with a good sounding drum; this device might make tuning faster, and less subject to aural burnout.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Nonetheless, if one lug is way off, you still might be able to get a pitch, but the drum won't be in tune really.
Matus

Postby Matus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:16 pm

This is as much help as any previous "drum tuner" if you don't know how to manipulate a drum. And it's all about knowing what will happen if you turn one specific rod and how a two-head relation will sound. Anything else is compensating for the lack of a trained ear or going for a level of detail that's pretty much beyond practical.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Matus wrote:This is as much help as any previous "drum tuner" if you don't know how to manipulate a drum. .

... exactly what I meant,
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:27 pm

I also noticed a slight "flaw" in that it directly correlates the frequency pitch to a note. This is a fatal misunderstanding in the physics of music and drums. 2 headed drums can not be tuned to a single note. Only single headed drums, hence timpani, concert toms, etc

Frequency defines pitch, but a note is something very different. You can have A440, A430, A450, A380 if you want... the western world tends to go A440 for concert pitch.

But it still would be interesting to see where particular drums like to sit, pretty much for reference and curiosity. It's like whipping out a DB meter for your kit.. interesting knowledge but not practically useful.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:30 pm

moose wrote:http://www.idrumtune.com/

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15176

Haha! I'm guessing cloth ears isn't a good thing. I can see how this can be a useful tool, giving you a more precise way to identify and repeat the sound you're looking for.

BTW, after attending an Ari Hoenig clinic, I can assure you that he doen't need one.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Josiah wrote:I also noticed a slight "flaw" in that it directly correlates the frequency pitch to a note. This is a fatal misunderstanding in the physics of music and drums. 2 headed drums can not be tuned to a single note. Only single headed drums, hence timpani, concert toms, etc

Frequency defines pitch, but a note is something very different. You can have A440, A430, A450, A380 if you want... the western world tends to go A440 for concert pitch.

But it still would be interesting to see where particular drums like to sit, pretty much for reference and curiosity. It's like whipping out a DB meter for your kit.. interesting knowledge but not practically useful.

It could also be an ear training tool, don't you think?
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III

Return to “Drumming Chat”