20 Years today - remembering Jeff Porcaro

Gavin Harrison

20 Years today - remembering Jeff Porcaro

Postby Gavin Harrison » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:24 am

I can't believe 20 years have slipped by since Jeff has gone. Still listening to his marvelous groove - and it always puts a huge smile on my face.
Luckily it was Jeff's heyday when I was finally old enough to realise what groove was all about. I would go to a local record store and buy records just because he was on it so I could hear more examples of his musicality and golden groove.

sadly missed - but he lives on in the huge amount of recordings he was on. So go and listen to some Jeff today folks!!!!!

Gavin
amoergosum

Re: 20 Years today - remembering Jeff Porcaro

Postby amoergosum » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:52 am

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:28 am

One of my Master, one the reason why I'm musician, I listen to his magical drumming everyday, may your Soul rest in Peace Jeff, you're endless inspiration.

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
CPS

Postby CPS » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 am

I remember my teacher hipping me to Jeff and doing the bitchy muso thing regarding Jeff's death, saying that the gardening spray reaction was a cover up for him being a cokehead. Cocaine can stay in the body for years, I've never gone near the stuff myself 'cos I've seen how it makes other people, but back in the day people like Jeff worked their tail off, so I can see how it would be easy to fall into that trap. Plus my teacher later told me of his powder problems, so that's psychological projection for ya'! Anyway the point of this long post is even before the internet, people can be bitchy and jealous for no good reason, so when I see a post like this from another world class player who's took the time out to honour one of his heroes (and mine, but hey I'm just some shmuck!) it's heartwarming! I'm going nowhere near a half time shuffle today out of respect!!!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:49 am

Why do you have to talk about cocaine in a moment of remembering ?
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:14 pm

Why do you have to talk about cocaine in a moment of remembering ?

So 1992...let's be done with this topic once and for all. If you need to know about anything,
PM me...I have all you will ever get from any other source.

THANKS Gavin...I'm not good with these types of remembrances.

Probably the best ballad ever recorded imo by Jeff. (poor audio on this vid)

This song has so many subtleties...it is big boy drumming...it is every note perfectly placed...it is
passion...it is timeless!

Put lead singer aside (I liked him)...focus on groove, dynamics, touch, feel, space...them ghost
notes so perfectly laid down...the builds in perfect time...

What artist wouldn't want Jeff on their record for these tough tracks?

This was when Jeff experimented with those triplet fills and that one octoban ala intro to
Can U hear what I'm Saying;
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22vtb_toto-can-you-hear-what-i-m-saying_music

JP...time, groove, feel

Larger than life personality

Humble, modest, even self-depreciating...

Pop on over to my site below for more Jeff...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Amen Pocketplayer.
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:19 pm

CPS wrote:I remember my teacher hipping me to Jeff and doing the bitchy muso thing regarding Jeff's death, saying that the gardening spray reaction was a cover up for him being a cokehead. Cocaine can stay in the body for years, I've never gone near the stuff myself 'cos I've seen how it makes other people, but back in the day people like Jeff worked their tail off, so I can see how it would be easy to fall into that trap. Plus my teacher later told me of his powder problems, so that's psychological projection for ya'! Anyway the point of this long post is even before the internet, people can be bitchy and jealous for no good reason, so when I see a post like this from another world class player who's took the time out to honour one of his heroes (and mine, but hey I'm just some shmuck!) it's heartwarming! I'm going nowhere near a half time shuffle today out of respect!!!

Fucking cheap shoot.........
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:46 pm

He's definitely missed. His grooves still live on. Not to many drummers have the legacy Jeff did. He made the music feel great. Gonna go listen to Kingdom of Desire tonight. Glad Luke sang lead on that record. Great voice.

Anyone know how his brother Steve is doing. He has ALS.

I love this HOD forum! An amazing talented musician started this topic. I gots huge respect for Gavin Harrison.

Return to “Drumming Chat”