LIVE FAKES - Listened but not played live

Juan Expósito

LIVE FAKES - Listened but not played live

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Reading this Todd´s comment, made me think about the "helps" in live situations.
What type of this "support" or even fake/recorded parts have you seen live, or you know they are used?
I know some singers record a "live" track and reproduce it on every live show.
I am not talking about some percussion-electronic backing sounds, but something more serious.
The bass, keyboards, vocals...drums?

Todd´s facebook post:
"When you come to a Styx show, what you see is what you hear. No computers, no click tracks, no fake taped vocals, no offstage musical help-- just five guys playing and singing! I'm very proud to say that. (photo by Ash Newell)"

Todd´s FB channel:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Official ... 0850471267
Kurtis

Re: LIVE FAKES - Listened but not played live

Postby Kurtis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Rush has been triggering background vocals, keyboards and others sounds live. Geddy triggers lots of sounds via keyboard or foot pedals. they have been doing that for decades. Their fans don't have a problem with it. Don't want to see two to three background singers or two keyboard players with them up on the stage. Neil even triggers keyboard sounds during the show. Seems to work for them.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Most recently, Van Halen.

Keyboards and backing vocals were flown in by whom or whatever.

Eddie doesn’t have four hands though, so you can’t dump on him much for farming out the keyboard parts.

It’s pretty common now. I don’t like it, but it is the new norm for many.

I think we (as musicians) care way more about the live integrity thing than the general public.

Sometimes, the worst ones get caught in the act though.

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 pm

The Pat Metheny Group.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:53 pm

There was some screw up with Paul McCartney at the Olympics. I'm too lazy to look for it but something happened at the beginning of the song. Paul started the song and then you heard "Paul" singing the first line again.
I guess Eddie records the keyboard parts everyday at band sound check and then they just push Play at show time.
NIN entire show is sequenced. U2 have a million things going on... sounds incredible. I have no problem with having extra stuff happening. It only bugs me when people pretend they're doing something when they're not.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:13 pm

bstocky wrote:... It only bugs me when people pretend they're doing something when they're not.

Yes, that´s the most painful situation.
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:26 pm

I've been utilizing a click in my in-ears live for about a year or so now, really low in the mix, just to start off the tempos consistently (plus we're toying with the idea of utilizing some loops in a Peter Gabriel sort of fashion). Otherwise there's nothing else we really use. Just the seven of us playing our instruments and rocking the stage :)
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:35 pm

There´s plenty of this kind of videos that pretend to be a real takes but are as fake as sh*t... Me don´t like.

Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:16 am

Sting uses backing tracks/second bassist. Several bass players I know have noted that he's not actually playing a lot of the time. Or at least playing what is being heard.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:42 am

Josiah wrote:Sting uses backing tracks/second bassist. Several bass players I know have noted that he's not actually playing a lot of the time. Or at least playing what is being heard.

Wow, that's quite contrary to what I've heard from people that have been on the bandstand with him.

Return to “Drumming Chat”