LIVE FAKES - Listened but not played live

circh bustom

Re: LIVE FAKES - Listened but not played live

Postby circh bustom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:14 am

Ive heard the rumors about Sting before as well. I've just chose to not believe them. I cant put much stock into what his sidemen say publically. While I have not played with anyone or any show as big as Sting, Ive worked with some people where it was strictly forbidden to divulge things that go on behind the scenes if I ever wanted to get called for the gig again. I'm not saying that is the situation here, but untill you are in the band, you just don't know.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am

I personally couldn't vouche, but several of my bass friends have said there are a lots of videos online, where (if you are a bass player) it is fairly evident he's not playing everything that you are hearing. I simply assume that if several people mention the "you can check it out on youtube.." angle, it's probably true.

But also - I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Particularly Singing AND Playing. Night after night. Required to be flawless 100% of the time? I can cut the guy (or whoever) some slack in those cases.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:33 am

Surely the logistics of employing a second bass player (working out when s/he plays and when Sting plays, ensuring there's never once duplication etc) would be so complicated as to far outweigh the advantages? I've seen Sting a few times and this has never been something I've noticed.

That said, he definitely pipes in the backing vocals for the tours without backing vocalists. If you listen to any Seven Days recording you can hear whether or not there's a tambourine / shaker click, for the tours or gigs where there were no BVs. I've always presumed Vinnie triggers this and it has Sting's backing vocals on - because as much as they mime along, it sure as hell isn't Sancious and Miller singing those. You can clearly hear it's Sting's voice, in Live in Oslo and all those 'golden age of Sting and Vinnie' vids.

I know that Muse have a fourth member who only does tour work - they want to retain the core membership on stage, so the fourth guy tends to play off-stage with a video monitor so he can see what the rest of them are doing; always thought that was a little harsh...
____
Ned
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:48 am

thewikiman wrote:Surely the logistics of employing a second bass player (working out when s/he plays and when Sting plays, ensuring there's never once duplication etc) would be so complicated as to far outweigh the advantages? I've seen Sting a few times and this has never been something I've noticed.

Logistics? You mean like booking a tour with a road crew of 100 people, 6 tour busses and 10 big rigs? Or whatever Sting tours with. They got the money and people who's job it is to manage these things. A few backing tracks or ghost players is nothing in the scheme.

The whole point is not to notice. Metallica has a crew behind the scene's with guitars, fx, amps... and players who know everything note for note on stand by. Kirk has even mentioned in interviews they have guys pushing pedals back there for them. Shania twain has a truck full of computers her voice runs through live...

Nobody knew Ashlee Simpson was lip synching until she missed her cue....

It most likely goes on way way more then people think. But again, IMO good for them. The perfection that is demanded night after night would be insane for any human to try and maintain for years of touring.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:57 am

No I just meant musical logistics! Imagine if you were trying to do the same thing, for your drums, on a gig you were doing... Regardless of money and man-power, it would be an extremely intricate thing to plan out and pull off, no?
____
Ned
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:06 am

Josiah wrote: The perfection that is demanded night after night would be insane for any human to try and maintain for years of touring.
Not if you have talent.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:25 am

Jim Richman wrote:
Josiah wrote: The perfection that is demanded night after night would be insane for any human to try and maintain for years of touring.
Not if you have talent.

Wow.
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:38 pm

I mimed a drum track once... a live show for Channel [v] ... some years back. They couldn't afford the singers 'real' band, so they hired standins. The singer, (Skye Sweetnam) to her credit, threw down the gauntlet not to lip synch herself... The management was insisting on it, but she wouldn't have it and they gave in.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Josiah wrote:
Jim Richman wrote:
Not if you have talent.

Wow.
I just noticed the years and years part. You are correct. I think it's insane to play the exact same thing over and over for years.

BTW, I saw Disturbed in '06 and it was pretty much karaoke. Live vocals with everything else on tape. You could tell because the reflection of the lights on the bass drum heads was seen only on basic beats, while the doublebass was all over the place.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:03 am

Jim Richman wrote:I just noticed the years and years part. You are correct. I think it's insane to play the exact same thing over and over for years.

BTW, I saw Disturbed in '06 and it was pretty much karaoke. Live vocals with everything else on tape. You could tell because the reflection of the lights on the bass drum heads was seen only on basic beats, while the doublebass was all over the place.

I saw Disturbed once and thought I noticed the same thing... I was far back and not really listening to intently, but the kick head's differentiation from the audio did grab my attention.

There's gigs in my city that are all to tracks with a real vocalist covered in glitter, showing off the fakest tits ever. I've been on a few.

You just ape the beat exactly and line up.

There was a dude ripping keyboard solos out of an unplugged keyboard on one. He was dancing like a tool the whole time too, and he shmoozed on set breaks like he was a rock star. It was embarrassing, but it was in the summer low and I need the loot bad.

Funny thing about this group, is I've gotten calls for pretty large budget corporate functions regionally, which makes me sad that they're hustling some honest local dudes out of a nice kushy corporate hit.

Return to “Drumming Chat”